Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Don't Look Back - A Sneak Peak at The Ever-Three

I know that this is right on top of another story post, and I apologize for my lack of creativity at present. I just ended a week of hardcore business with a bad lack of sleep, so my brain is just wanting to post the easiest and most close to complete post in my workbox. But, that being said, I did at least polish it up for you guys because I only want to give you my lovely audience the best posts I can (...even when it's only the best of my busy, half-awake posts).
This particular story snippet is a sneak-peek at The Second Brother's sequel, The Ever-Three. This is the book's beginning. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! :)
***
           Dulcilla glanced back anxiously, her heart beating madly as she ran. Her friend, a dark-haired man, was running behind her a little ways, leading a small pony. Dulcilla breathed in relief. Good. He made it... He was safe... mostly. A limp slowed his movement, but he nonetheless soon caught up to Dulcilla.
            He handed the pony's reins to Dulcilla, continuing to run at her side. "Here," he spoke urgently. "Mount as soon as you're far enough away and then ride to where it's safe. You know where"
           Dulcilla's eyes flew to his limping foot. Oh no..."You're hurt... How will you run all that way...?" She placed a hand over her mouth in horror, realizing there was no way he could. "We've got to mount now!"
            He shook his head. "If we mount now, then we'll be spotted and caught easily. We have to wait until we get to the mountains" He gave Dulcilla a small smile. "I'll be fine"
            Dulcilla searched his face worriedly. After a moment, she hesitantly nodded. She trusted him at least this much...
            Suddenly a shout sounded from a ways off. Dulcilla's companion flicked his head back to look. His eyes glanced briefly behind him before they flickered back to Dulcilla. "Ride away like I told you as soon as possible, Dulcilla, and I'll meet you" He slowed a little. "Go in a different direction from me" His expression was urgent. "Hurry!"
            Breathlessly, Dulcilla ran faster, turning a different direction, and leading the pony with her. The last sounds of her companion's voice reached her as she ran: "Ride, Dulcilla, and don't look back!"
            Dulcilla mounted quickly and rode. But, despite her friend's warning, she could not help one last glance back. She looked back just in time to see an arrow tip burst through her companion's side. Scarlet spilled through his shirt, and he crumpled to the ground noiselessly.
             Dulcilla's heart seemed to stop for a moment. Choking a sob, she forced herself away. "No...," she whimpered, though still riding as though the wind were behind her for fear of being caught.
             The pony galloped swiftly, but Dulcilla urged it on more - not daring to look back, her spirit broken from the first time. Tears streamed down her face, but she kept her sights ahead.
             As time passed like a deathly bell toll, Dulcilla finally gathered enough courage to look back... despite the knowledge that there was no way her companion had made it. A desperate hope drove her to be sure, though. And... even against this knowledge, it still felt like an arrow in her own heart when Dulcilla's eyes found no one. Not a soul.
            But as Dulcilla's attentions strayed for but a moment behind her, her pony suddenly whinnied loudly, and bucked. Dulcilla turned, and lunged forwards, trying to stop him, but she tumbled backwards and everything went black.
           That was all Dulcilla could remember. It had been almost five years now since - five years of trying so hard to remember who the man was, why they'd been running, where they were going, what had happened before it, and so many other burning questions. Dulcilla was almost beginning to believe that it really had been only a dream, and that it had never really happened at all. But then... that face... His face. Dulcilla knew it... somehow.
***

6 comments:

  1. WHOA, THIS IS AWESOME, BELLE!!!

    I dearly love the tension and the emotion in it :)

    I can totally understand not having any other posts. I've had that problem way too many times....maybe I'll fix that by tagging you for a tag or two during this March Tag Madness thing I've got going :)

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! :D I think this was what convinced me to write the sequel before the first book, haha... No, don't laugh, that's an actual problem, Belle... :P
      I would be much obliged, Catherine, especially considering the bajillion tags I had lined up somehow all disappeared mysteriously, lol. :P

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one who had that problem!!!! Though my sequels tend to be more "prequels" than anything....I have this obsession with backstories - I was the geek that loved the "behind the scenes" footage on movies and stuff...LOL.

      Consider it done!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha, well, it seems to be a common problem - I am always doing it! Oh well... I suppose it's not *too* big a deal if our sequels come out before our first books, right...? ;)

      Delete
  2. WHOA. (Not to copy Catherine's reaction.)

    .....Belle.

    ......Belle, Belle, Belle, the *twist* at the end of this! Oh my goodness, the mystery! The sadness! The perfect incompleteness of it! I feel like I'm listening to a song that broke off in the middle without returning to tonic. (If my remembrance of music appreciation class is not too rusty...) I really, really want Dulcilla to find her friend! Please tell me he comes back in at some point, in some way, shape, or form??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Megan! :)
      I hoped it would cause that reaction (in fact... your music description is perfect for what I intended). And, haha, if I ever finish the stupid first book, then I will have plenty more of this believe me... :P

      Megan. Oh, Megan. *facepalms* I really don't know what to tell you. He died. That means he doesn't come back (well, okay, you know me, but in this case he actually did die). But Dulcilla will eventually find out who he is, if that's what you mean. :)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)