Pages

Saturday, January 6, 2018

The 10 Most Loveable Cartoon Characters of All Time

Hi! So I've been watching a lot of cartoon shows I used to watch - mainly for fun. But, in discovering some old beloved shows, I uncovered something else. Some of the most loveable, endearing, just plain 'Awww!'-invoking characters - you know, those ones you couldn't get enough of once upon a time, and somehow somehow(!) forgot with time. Today, I'm reminiscing a bit about those old loves... I'll always hold a place in my heart for all of them.
#1 - Arthur from Babar, King of the Elephants
I've been watching (and loving) Babar since I was three years old, and it's never gotten boring. When recently, for the first time in two years, I saw it again, I fell in love even more than I had before. And my old love was still just as great - Arthur. Arthur is the rambunctious, adventurous, tall-tale-telling explorer brother of Babar's wife, Celeste, and he really is the best character in the show. With his characteristic white beret that has its red pom-pom on top, he was a sight received most delightedly by my memories. Always adventuring off onto nigh-impossible endeavors, always getting swept up in large-scale plans and plots, and yet always coming home to tell the stories afterwards (usually somewhat exaggeratedly) to his fascinated nieces and nephews. My favorite character in my favorite cartoon, Arthur always will be a pleasing sight to me - and I hope that children of this day won't ever lack for the sight of his silly beret either. :)
#2 - Jay Gordon/Walker from Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
Jay is the most recent rediscovery of my old cartoon loves, though he's not quite so old as the rest (I actually started watching Ninjago only about a year or two ago - and the series, NOT the messed-up movie!). He's the court jester of the ninjas, perhaps, but he's ever-endearing with his common panicking, his constant joking, and his adorable bashfulness. Not to mention his cute, though often failed romance. Rare a laugh come from watching Ninjago has not come from Jay. And at first, all he seems to be is the loveable clown of the group. It's in his season, season #7, that you really get development on him. He's a gentleman at heart, always striving to help others, and be chivalrous even in his modern age. And he endures more than most cartoon characters I've seen just for the sake of others (in fact, in one particular episode, he gets beaten/tortured by pirates repeatedly to the point of temporarily losing his ability to walk, use his powers, and see in one eye, yet keeps his composure amazingly). And if there's one thing that's endearing, it's a character with an unassuming appearance who shows themselves a rock of fortitude in hard times. Now that's a loveable character.
#3 - Scooby Doo from What's New, Scooby Doo?
Really, Scooby should be first, but he's so well-known, I think that he can afford a little less mention. In fact, I don't think any introduction to him is necessary. How often does one come across a talking, constantly hungry, mostly cowardly, mystery-solving great dane?
#4 - Starscream from Transformers
How on earth did a villain get on this list? Don't ask me, it's just Starscream! Somehow, even for being the cowardly, treacherous, villainous right-hand man of Megatron, leader of the Decepticons, Starscream was always my favorite of all the transformers (with only maybe Optimus Prime as competition). Constantly a mutineer vying for alpha position among the Decepticons, somehow the shady, bojo-esque character of Starscream always made him strangely enjoyable. And that high-pitchedly tense voice was always so familiar and smile-enticing. (And no, people, I'm not talking about the popular Transformers Starscream - not the new moves, but the old 1980's series. They're way better, you know!)
#5 - Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe: The Real American Hero
By this point, you can probably tell that I love old 80's cartoons (some of them, at least). And G.I. Joe is no exception! The best of the Joes, though, is a mute martial arts expert who constantly wears a blind mask and has a pet timber wolf. Who? Snake Eyes! Perhaps the name is a bit cheesy, but cheesy's fine by me. And, being the only G.I. Joe that isn't constantly making painfully punny jokes all the time (he couldn't make one even if he wanted to), Snake Eyes already had one thing going for him. He doesn't speak, but nonetheless his character shines through vibrantly. And no other character exhibits the same amount of common sense, I assure you. Or cool ninja moves. ;)
#6 - King Babar and Basil from Babar, King of the Elephants
Though I love Arthur better, Babar has always held a special place in my heart (despite my sister's avid hatred of him and his show). And Basil the rhino has always been a great source of laughter in the show. I couldn't decide which I liked better, so they're tied as it is. They're so different! - Babar, in his steadfast, humble, kingly character, and Basil with his cheapskate tricks but unerring loyalty to King Retaxes of Rhino Land. Though often at odds, both Babar and Basil are characters deserving of praise amongst cartoons.
Unfortunately couldn't find one with Basil in it, but there's Babar, Celeste, and Retaxes.
#7 - Kai Smith from Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
I know, I know, another Ninjago one. But, seriously, guys, this show is pretty awesome! I mean, Legos, ninjas, amazing characters, and intriguing plot arcs - how could it not be? And Kai is the main ninja it centers around. Hot-headed though he is, sometimes Kai's hotheadedness is endearing... and sometimes it's very frustrating. Either way, though, he never fails to amuse. And being the main one, you get to see a lot of him. Perhaps not quite so loveable or dependable as Jay, but still one of the best characters in the show.
#8 - Basil the Hare from Redwall
This show is another I love but my sister unfortunately loathes. Most of all she loathes the tall, gangly white hare in a red feathered cap always striding about the place saying "What, what" - however, as we usually do, we differ greatly on this character. Basil the hare is undoubtedly Redwall's best character (I actually didn't like him much when I first read the books, but the show softened my heart somehow). An adventurer of sterling loyalties, though perhaps rather haphazard habits, Basil is quite the loveable character (what is it with loveable characters being called Basil...?).
#9 - Peter Parker/Spiderman from Spiderman
I couldn't tell you the specific name of which cartoon Spiderman he's in (as it's been a few years now), but whichever one it was, it was good. This Peter Parker was not the awkward punk we see in the Marvel franchise, but a Peter Parker of troubles and conscience, and actual background. A Peter Parker really striving to be his best in a world that loves him one day, hates him the next. A Peter Parker having to carry his cross everyday of working for his worst enemy. He had virtue beyond most cartoon characters I've seen, and he had troubles equal to it. A chivalrous protector of the alleyways of New York, lover of simple things, vilified by everyone, but doing his duty anyways. That's the Spiderman I know and love. :)
#10 - Tigger from The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Best version of Winnie the Pooh ever. And Tigger, as he has in almost every representation of the series, remained my favorite above all in this version. Bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun! Who knows what the most wonderful thing about Tigger is? Who could pinpoint just one single thing? All I know is, for the total, Tigger is the most wonderful (and nostalgic) thing about Winnie the Pooh to me.
And that wraps things up. What did you think? Are you familiar with any of these characters? Perhaps they bring nostalgia to you as well? Do you have any favorite cartoon characters? Any favorite cartoons? Chat with me! 


3 comments:

  1. I'm family with Scooby Do, Ninjago, the Babar's (only from a book) and Winnie the Pooh. None of the others are familiar.

    My cartoons were the old Scooby Doo mysteries, Loony Toons, and Disney (including Pooh). *smiles*

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Babar, Scooby Doo, and Ninjago are probably my all-time favorite cartoons ever. Never really watched much Loony Toons, but I did watch some of the old Disney ones.
      Sometimes it's fun going back to the nostalgic things. Sometimes it's disappointing, too, but I guess that can't be helped.
      You need to watch the cartoon of Babar - it's so adorably charming, and the theme song is impeccable. :)

      Delete
  2. Single charms are the cheapest, followed by double sets, triple sets, and special sets containing more than 3 charms being the most expensive. read manga online

    ReplyDelete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)