Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Let This Ink a Memory Be - A Poem

Let this ink a memory be,
To lie here for eternity -
That here, preserved,
It mayn't unnerve
My heart, as thoughts of what might be.
Let this page a guardian stand,
Unmoved except at my command.
Let no one see
This memory
That I recall now with my hand.

For if this ink does serve me not,
Then where have I to run, distraught?
Can I withstand
If what I've banned
Will not be kept in book and blot?

My greatest friend, my aid so vast -
Let ink not fail me here at last.
Let peace be bought,
And for me wrought,
And hold a piece of me here fast.

My own mem'ries, My Book, then, take,
That in my mind these things shan't quake;
Let these be cast
To mists of past,
That sleep come without rueful wake.

So let this ink a mem'ry be,
Severed from my heart so carefully -
To, for past's sake,
This one record take;
Free my heart from thoughts of what might be.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely, Belle. I love the lines "My greatest friend, my aid so vast - let ink not fail me here at last." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! I'm glad you liked it! :)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)