Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Dream of Summertime - A Poem

“Lay down and dream of summertime,
Of Georgia blossoms, memories,
And close your eyes to let sweet sleep
Draw you on the breeze…”

Thus I was told so long ago,
By mother true, with heart benign,
And, young, I did as I was told,
Not to see the signs.

But when I woke, alone was I -
And gone were all, and lands I knew,
And nothing lived to tell me how
Summer mine was through.

How many years did pass away, 
And I remembered, living on,
But war lasts more than just a day,
And suff’ring past the dawn.

Still I would dream of summertime,
Of Georgia blossoms, memories,
And wonder why I was alone,
A leaf upon the breeze.


One day she came, and took me, true,
With heart and face like peace of old,
And then my dreams of summertime
‘Spite wartime, sweetly lulled. 

Taken, we married, never feared
Of Yankee fire so far away,
And happy for it both were we,
Though war yet had the day.

But I told her of summertime,
Of Georgia blossoms, memories,
A dream that had to have defense -
A dream upon the breeze. 

And, with her leave, I left again,
To fight for what I knew so well,
And thinking to her, waiting there,
I saw through smoke, war fell.

One battle then, one wintertime,
Took all that it had left before, 
I did not see, nor hear the fire,
Nor know what was in store.

I never saw the North go down -
I never heard the victory,
But knowing mine, I asked that words
A comrade write for me.

I said, “Write her of summertime,
And what I gave, that it be free,
And never fall to flame and ash, That peaceful blow the breeze.”
And when ‘twas through, I sighed and laid
My weary head upon the ground,
And, praying only we could win,
Old words my mind found -

“Lay down and dream of summertime,
Of Georgia blossoms, memories…,”
And then I gave to let sweet sleep
Draw me on the breeze…
***

11 comments:

  1. Ack, me, another song of the stricken South!! (Have I read this one before? Methinks it feels wistfully familiar...)

    Ante Bellum Dixieland and the poor doomed boys in gray. *shakes head* I do believe it's one of the most fascinating things in U.S. history--how a culture with its own loveliness, charm, and value was brought down by the canker in its heart. Great story and poetry fodder, to be sure.

    Also, I love the magnolia blossoms. Makes me homesick for South Carolina. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, certo - it's been a recent love (or, rather, a recently re-emerged love) of mine.

      Yes... I'm actually about to embark on what promises to be a splendid book on the subject - The Lost Cause, fittingly named, I'm afraid...

      Haha, same here, except Virgina rather than South Carolina...

      Delete
    2. Oh, and, haha, you have read it before - it's on the Auctores! :)

      Delete
  2. J+M+J
    *In Irish accent* Twas a moving work, aye lass, that it was! I greatly enjoyed it.... Wish I could that in a Southern accent....

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee kindly, Sir! (Or, if I were Southern, "honey", "dear", or "darlin'", as is their loveable manner...)

      Delete
  3. oooohhhhhhhhhh.
    I love anyone that loves the south.
    And this poem. Wow. It is gorgeous!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, then you've come to the right place - I'm afraid I am a horrible Southern-sympathetic, to the point of recently earning the nickname "Half-Reb". I take it your views lie similarly on the matter...?
      Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Oh my yes! I'm all for the south ... and I'd say I'm more three quarters reb ;)

      Delete
    3. Haha, at least you can claim the title - I'm thoroughly descended from Southerners, and have lived in the South, but, in Ohio, I cannot claim the full title of Southern Belle or Reb at the moment.

      Delete
  4. Okay but this is SAD and ELEGANT and BEAUTIFUL and it articulated all my feelings about the South and the Civil War and all that so much more thoroughly and successfully than I've ever seen them articulated. Much love. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)