Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Tradition, Progress, and Building on Seashells: Some Thoughts on Disney's Moana

[A Note: I know I am pretty behind the times in writing something about Moana, but the Muse calls when it calls, I suppose. Anyhow, this is an essay I wrote originally for school, so while I have tried to spruce it up in some regards, it still may be a little formal... Apologies on that account - hopefully it still has some interest to it, at least as a thought experiment.]


***


                 In 2016, Disney released a children’s film, Moana, detailing the story

of a Pacific Island princess and her quest to save her home. I saw it a good bit later

than that, but we'll leave that fact aside. There is one moment in the movie that

has always piqued my interest (as well as other emotions), near the end of the

movie. It's a potent little curio, and the last shot in the film: a seashell on top of a

tower of stones. But I'll get back to that in a minute.



                 In the film, the eponymous princess, Moana, is drawn to the ocean even

though her father, the king, forbids venturing beyond their island’s waters. Moana

is the crown heir of the kingdom, and she is taught many of her people’s traditions

by her parents. She, however, feels locked in by those traditions. A malignant

goddess is slowly poisoning the islands, making them fall into decay, and this

state of things is beginning to threaten even Moana’s island. Moana decides to

go against her people’s present law and search for someone who can return an

ancient artifact and restore her island’s vitality. Eventually, of course, the mission

is accomplished, Moana returns to her island and people, and she plans to tear

down the laws in favor of the ancient ways of voyaging, with everything

hunky-dory a la classic Disney style.


                   Through the film, the watcher is presented with an idea that to truly be

happy or progress as a society, we have to break down tradition and discard it.

Even though that's the movie's conscious message, however, Moana 

unconsciously undermines it. Accidentally, the film shows us how off the idea

is because it skews the definition of progress, fails to take advantage of the past,

and has no tangible goal or standard.


         Within the movie, the themes of tradition and progress are perhaps best

represented by the curio beginning when Moana’s father takes her up to the top

of the island to show her something. He shows her a stack of stones at the top of

the mountain, each one placed by a chieftain of the island upon his crowning to

“raise the island higher.” Moana is expected to place her own stone one day. At

the end of the movie, Moana returns to the island briefly and we see that she has

placed a seashell atop the stones, giving a visual symbol of her tearing down the

old ways.



         Moana is different from her people and their expectations in many ways.

She loves hearing the stories of other worlds outside her home. She has trouble

accepting the idea of being chief one day, a role destined for her from birth. She

feels called to go beyond the reef around their island, the symbol of her father’s

laws. There is something freeing in the beautiful music and wide, open aesthetic

of the scene when Moana finally makes it beyond the reef successfully. Clearly,

we as the watchers are meant to glean that freedom from tradition means

fulfillment and progress.


         The problem with this idea is that the progress Moana accomplishes

is not fulfillment, even in the scope of the movie. What we are meant to see as

the end goal – Moana transcending her people’s ways – is really only a means

to an end. Throughout the film, the ultimate evil is seen as the destruction of

Moana’s island and home, the paragon of her people’s traditions and

domesticity. Conversely, the ultimate good in the film could be seen as the

preservation of this home and people, and Moana’s safe return to her family.

The very reason Moana disobeys the laws and leaves the island is to save her

people’s way of life from destruction. If Moana’s people had merely become

voyagers at the beginning of the movie, they could have fished and sailed to 

their heart’s content, not needing the island as a home. Even at the end of the

movie, when Moana’s people do voyage, the lyrics of the ending song show an

attachment to home and the old ways: “We keep our island in our mind, and

when it’s time to find home, we know the way… We are explorers,” rather than,

say, “we are nomads” or “we are voyagers.” If the breaking of tradition and the

casting off of old ways were really the route to happiness, then why does the

happy ending of the movie merely show an addition to old traditions, rather

than their eradication?




         The key to both the intentional and unintentional portrayals of the

theme in the film is that tradition and progress are inherently related. Let's go

back to the stone tower now. Like the stones on Moana’s island, tradition is the

foundation that lets progress raise a civilization higher. With each stone, more

is added to society, but the tower would fall and break if one of the lower stones

was removed. That little seashell on the tower is such a powerful moment,

illustrating the clash of themes perfectly. The seashell does raise the island 

higher for one generation, and it looks beautiful at first, but then it makes it 

impossible for future generations to build on the tower without either discarding

or crushing the seashell. In other words, the seashell can’t remain the standard or

else no progress will be made. Tradition – the stones – must remain a part of

society’s standard in order for progress to be made. The fact of it is this: like

Moana’s people, we need to respect tradition in order to move forward in society.

While the movie wants us to see tradition as outdated and inhibitive, what it

accidentally shows us is that tradition is a healthy part of society. Even Moana’s

return to the old ways of voyaging is not a destruction of the stone tower. It makes

use of an old way of life, just altering details for the time’s needs. This is the very

definition of progress.



         In short, while the conscious theme of Moana is the harmfulness of

tradition, the movie can’t escape from the truth that tradition is necessary to

have any kind of goal or standard for civilization. The film tells us that the laws

and traditions are a handicap to fulfillment in life, but what it accidentally shows

us is that the laws and traditions are a necessary step on the path to happiness.

The "path less traveled" in the movie is, in truth, merely a branch off of the old

path. Humanity needs tradition. After all, you can’t build on seashells.


(Well, those are my thoughts, anyhow. Let me know what you think! Anything to add or contest? I offer yet another apology for the formatting... I can't seem to figure out the new way Blogger works...)


12 comments:

  1. Ack I love this. I've heard it pointed out before that Moana /seems/ all progressive but then she's actually just going back to an old tradition? I think the particular person who was saying that saw it as a good thing, rather than as a thematic inconsistency in the movie. I'm inclined to agree with you that it's a flaw, if only because...I wasn't moved by Moana as a story. It didn't DO anything for me, emotionally. I tend to blame the fact that I wanted/was expecting a Disney princess movie, which usually means a) the retelling of a familiar fairy tale and b) a sweet love story worked in there somewhere. Neither of which Moana had. (I mean, for all I know it could be based on a myth or fairy tale I'm just not familiar with.)

    (Have you seen Raya and the Last Dragon? We watched that kind of recently [by accident, I think] and...it was even worse. Disney is just. Totally dead to me at this point.)

    "You can't build on seashells." I LOVE THAT SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just not really a strong argument. It's kinda like comparing a return to barbarism to a return to a Classical education. Going back in time doesn't necessarily mean going back to tradition, and I think that's the problem with seeing that sort of theme in Moana (because she pretty clearly is going against her traditions).
      Yeah, it was similar for me with Moana. I loved the artwork but that was really about it. (No, not really, at least from what research I had to do for my class paper... The background bit is sorta based on a myth, but the main story is kinda just Disney shtick.)

      (No, I haven't... Haha, I lost most of my desire to see it after reading some of the Catholic reviews. Your opinion of it makes my desire to see it nonexistent.)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I find your comments about tradition in Moana to be highly interesting! I kind of find Moana to be a sort of allegory for modern society. There is such an unsatisfaction among the young with the idea of "tradition", not understanding the reasonings behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool take right there. I think that probably rings very true, unfortunately...

      Delete
  3. I liked Moana better than I expected to (which is to say...I liked it, it was pretty, and there were a few lovely moments, but overall it was nothing to write home about), and now that you've articulated a bunch of this I definitely see why. Going against certain maybe-not-as-inflexible-as-people-act-like-they-are ELEMENTS of a tradition for the sake of saving your traditions as a whole is a very interesting concept to me. I see it a lot in real life. You're probably right about "freedom from tradition" being the intentional message of the movie (it's Disney, after all), but I have to say that the movie hung together thematically really well for me, with the reluctant break from tradition in the interest of restoring and preserving tradition - freedom as a means to an end rather than an end in itself. And I LOVE your analogy about the seashell. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true - there were certainly some pretty moments in the movie. For one thing, just the scenery by itself was quite splendid. And it's also true, I think, that leaving off more cultural bits of tradition in order to protect deeper parts, like Moana did, is an ethically legitimate option in society.
      Yes, I can see that. The movie did somewhat contradict itself on that count. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hm, I never took much reflection on it. *shrugs* I never do, really. ;)

    I really like traditions, especially foreign ones. Like Germans having two Christmases each year... that's a good one.

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now that is a tradition I could get behind...

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic and insightful post! Wow! I've seen this movie many times. My young son used to be VERY into it when he was little and I've had many of the same thoughts about tradition and how I don't necessarily approve of the moral of the film (though it has a lot of very interesting parts and awesome music!).

    I've not however picked up on the shell-tower motif! You explained it so well, and I couldn't agree more. Our whole world really seems to have followed the moral laid out in this movie, unfortunately :/ What our children's generation will build, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, same for my younger sister. (It does have some very cool parts, agreed.)

      Well, hopefully, even if through trial and error, the generation will build something worth having. I certainly will pray for it.

      Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. (Disclaimer: I have not seen Moana, and I don't really plan on doing so.)

    You make a good point about the stones and the shells, and of how you can't build upon shells as you can stones.
    One story that comes to mind is that of real-life Hawaiian Chiefess, Kapiolani. Her defiance of Pele and acceptance of Christ is, I think, the better story. Not merely rejecting tradition, but giving up a faulty tradition to take up a far better one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      That is such a cool story! I hadn't heard of her before and looked her up. Dang, that is a cool story - that's the stuff of novels, except better because it's true.

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)