Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Meet the Books! - The Treasure of the Twin Temples

Hey! I'm back with - guess what? - another...
Anyone excited? I am! :D Ahem. Anyways, Meet the Books! is a link-up started by moi, to the purpose of introducing your novels on your blog for anyone who's new to this. Anyone with a blog and a story can join, and the only rules are to answer the questions and put a link back here in the comments so I can see (you're welcome to take the picture as well). And have fun, of course! ;) That being said now allows me to continue with aforementioned questions. :)
What is the genre?
The genre of the book I'm talking about today is Fantasy (in fact, it's my only Fantasy besides The Second Brother). It could also be rather accurately phrased, though, as Action/Adventure or Historical Fiction. I'm thinking about it being a Children's Fiction, but I'm going to have to consult my co-author on that one, because it just so happens I'm co-writing this with my best friend for fun.
What is the title? Time period?
The title is The Treasure of the Twin Temples (it was the original title from four or five years ago). And the time period is the 1600's, back in pirate-y times, you know.
How is it written (POV, MC, etc.)?
It's written - like all my stories - in third person limited, but - as I said before - being co-authored with my writing confidante (which is exceedingly convenient). ;) There are two main characters, Cap. Westly and Cap. Morales, whom I will introduce in un momento.
What gave you the idea?
Me and my best friend used to act out games of sorts - I know, we're so mature and grown-up - which were stories, and the very last one we acted out (started about four or five years ago but never finished) was this pirate story starring a couple of very unlikely friends sailing to save the civilized world. We each had our set of characters and each had one of the main characters, but we would sometimes switch. It was pretty fun, but we never finished playing it out (still don't know how it ends), and so it fell back into the past for a while. But then, one day, I said it would be a good idea to write some of the adventures those characters went on. next thing I knew, I was going after my best friend, questioningly her pesteringly about co-authoring the original story. And I finally said yes. ;) Haha... in the same way Flynn Rider did, too. :P
Who are the characters?
Baron/Captain Dominique Jaun Ferdinand Morales II is a Spanish nobleman-pirate of a very vivacious and charismatic character. He was my best friend's character - meaning the one she played, but he was the life of both our performances (and is still the life of the story). He's a bit like an odd mix of Flynn Rider, Errol Flynn, Prince Naveen, and maybe a tiny bit of a less crazy and cheating Captain Jack Sparrow. Needless to say, he's a pretty lovable pirate. His ship is the Evela La Belle (don't ask about the French name... long story). Dominique is mainly a pirate for the kicks, as he's already rich and rarely pillages or plunders and never really kills anybody (but... he does get into fights and duels more habitually than any other character I can think of...). :P And, through a very strange turn of events, he becomes the unlikely friend of
Captain Peter Westly, a quiet and rather closed-up personage. Westly is a sailor of undetermined type, but often identified (whether falsely or truthfully) as a pirate because of his rare dockings and powerful ship (his ship, however, as Dominique loves to gloat, is smaller than the Evela La Belle). Westly's ship is called the Cygnus (Westly was my own character, by the by). He is very quiet, but somehow becomes close friends with talkative Dominique. Often he keeps to himself, but what he does say is worth listening to.
Captain DeClouve is a French pirate who has been known to get in duels with Dominique a lot (he really hates Dominique, but Dominique finds him only slightly irritating). He's definitely a bit of a scumbag (okay, more than a bit), which is exactly why he is one of the antagonists - no secret about that (I mean, the book begins with Dominique fighting him, how could I keep his villainous nature secret?). Anyways, though, DeClouve is a scum that, at least up until a certain point in the story, wasn't any particular danger...
Princess Suzannah Margeurite Renee is the tight-laced daughter of the fictional French colony's king (it is called a French colony, but I think we're changing it to just be French-based). She is of a girlish character within, perhaps, but without she is always either affectionate or cold   no in-between. I suppose it is from being spoiled as a child, but such is her character.
Pierre Dumont is Dominique's first mate and best friend besides/before Westly. And, though Dominique has a decided dislike for the French-based colony and its people (especially DeClouve), Pierre is an exception. Pierre is an optimistic but more following sort, but is a splendid first-mate.
Lorice Selvyn is the quiet and thoughtful favored friend of Suzannah's, a nobly born young lady who was disinherited years ago due to a false claim which dishonored her name and broke her engagement. Due to this, she has been little more than a peasant for years, but when with Suzannah is cared for and disguised in full. She has been through a lot herself (unlike spoiled Suzannah), but she would be willing to go through even more for Suzannah - which she does have to do...
Darien Altmoor is Westly's first mate, a fairly easily excited fellow (who, despite this easy excitement, thankfully knows when to keep his mouth shut, due to years sailing with Westly). He's in it a lot, but other than being a first mate, he's not a super big character.
King Blaise Renee is the little-shown king of the French-based colony and Suzannah's currently absent father.
And I think that's everyone (excepting a barmaid in a tavern who only appears in two scenes). :)
What does the plot consist of?
Pirates meet under strange circumstances, discovering an alleged curse and sailing to save the world from an apocalypse of undead rising from the hexed treasures of two different identical pagan temples before time runs out. Cheesy, yes, but that's what the original plot was. We're currently working on the new one. :) Although, in defense of cheesiness, it was originally intended as a game for just our enjoyment and not as a novel. So, stand by plot-wise. ;)
What is the setting?
The setting is a fictional set of 17th century countries (two of them French and Spanish-based respectively). Also, pirates. Pirates and sailors and ships and ports and princesses and such things.
Who is the favorite character so far?
Well, no one has read or even been told much of it aside from us the authors. However, I think both me and my co-author pal are in sync that Dominique is the best character (as cool as Peter is).
What is the favorite scene so far?
Um... Well, there's only one scene that has been released and read by anybody other than the writer of it, but I'd say it was pretty well-received. It's the beginning scene, where Westly pulls into port (right before he runs into the raging duel of Dominique and DeClouve).
Any themes of music for this work?
Well, Derek and Brandon Fiechter's youtube 'Hour of pirate music' is splendid for the setting, but ther are no official themes yet, no.
Any drawings?
Yes - there is my own drawing of Dominique and Westly, though faceless they both remain in said picture. Due to current lack of time and plentiful to-do's, I won't post it here.
Any snippets?
Not this time, as only one scene has been officially released to the public - actually, why don't I show you that one scene? It's pretty short, after all...
***
The sky stormed and shook. A fire shone in the eyes of the man facing Peter. Peter stood his ground, looking straight at the fire fearlessly. The man scowled and turned away. "Captain?", spoke a voice, breaking the ominous scene.
The sky became clear, the sun bright, and the evil-eyed man was now merely Darien, Peter's first mate. Peter stood at the helm of his ship, the Cygnus. Peter mentally shook himself into reality. "Yes, Darien?"

"We are but a couple hours now from port", Darien said. "With luck, Sir, we can be there in only one"

"Good", Peter replied, and he stepped down from the helm. "Take the wheel, Darien, I am going down below"

"Aye, Sir", Darien replied faithfully, and he took the helm.


Peter stepped down below into his cabin. He paced there for a moment, but then sat down at his desk. He picked up the letter upon it, and began to read once more the strange message:
My dear Captain Westly,

I urge you to come immediately to Port Luera on behalf of Chalera. Do not expect any less than the worst, but come with all good hopes. Chalera wants her closest friends before her, ere she goes. She may be gone by time you arrive, but still, I urge you, come. I will await you by word or presence. There is another factor I cannot now explain. Your servant,
Luiz Tamarca.
Peter put down the letter. He had been repeatedly puzzled by it. What was this factor Luiz could not explain? Luiz had been taking care of Chalera, an old native of Port Luera, for many long years. Peter had known her for many long years as well. What factor could be too much for Luiz to tell him? Chalera had been sick for a long time, but Luiz had anticipated it getting worse, so surely nothing could be too surprising? Perhaps.... perhaps it was not the illness that he spoke of? These questions would hopefully be answered soon, when they pulled into port.




From above there came a call. Peter knew what it meant. He calmly grabbed his coat and strode above to the deck. They had just pulled into port.
***
I know it's a bit on the odd side, but it is the first scene of a first draft in a story that started out as a game of pretend, so give me a break, please. :P
Strong point in story?
The attachment. Because it's been around for so long, me and my co-author both already have a great attachment to it, and are eager to write it (eager in my case, mildly interested in my co-author's case).
Weak point in story?
The ending. See, since we never finished the game, we don't actually know how the story ends. However, we will be figuring that one out soon enough... :P
What are your plans for it?
Firstly, coordinating it with my co-author. Then finishing it. Then maybe publishing would be advisable, but maybe not.
Any particular writing habits for it?
As to my co-author, I don't know. But I could give a very close guess. She probably listens to Pirates of the Caribbean, eats Esther Price chocolate, and takes all day to write the one scene, while thinking to herself what a wonderfully horrible cliffhanger of a stopping-point she left me. I, on the other hand, write violently and avidly and take but fifteen minutes to write a lot (though I also indulge on chocolate, in my case Cadbury).
If it were made into a movie, what would be your ideal cast?
I think the guy who plays Wesley in Princess Bride would make a good Dominique (with black hair, of course), and the guy who plays Norrington in PotC a good Westly, while Natalie Portman as Suzannah, Lily James as Lorice, and Johnny Depp as DeClouve. Darien doesn't really matter, but Tom Hiddleston would be a good Pierre.
And that about wraps this feature up. What did you think? Would you read this book? Who do you think would be your favorite character? Did you like my beginning? Trust me, my co-author's writing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. ;) If you would like a look at its aesthetic or a better glimpse, here is the Pinterest board for it.

8 comments:

  1. Pretend games are the best! And this one sounds particularly fun. :) I think I shall enjoy it immensely! How long has it been in the process of being written rather than played?

    I'll bet I would love Dominique. And your beginning intrigued me, especially the bit with the letter. I can't wait to hear more about it! (Also, I'm rather unreasonably proud of myself that I actually know most of the actors you mentioned. I'm getting so pop-culture-savvy, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! :D This has only been started as a serious novel in this past year, so there's not very much of it at all.
      Oh, you would definitely love Dominique. He's a character, indeed...
      Hah, I feels like I mention the same few actors every time I answer that question - I cant help it, though! There are only so many really great actors nowadays!

      Delete
  2. Wait, hold up!! This is a blog link up??? How did I miss that piece of information???? *Facepalm*

    Please do not blame yourself, dear. I'm having a total blonde moment, please excuse me. *Ahem*

    Anyway....love the characters in this one. And oh yes, pretend games...I still let my imagination in PretendLand every once in a while :)

    *Gasp* you listen to the Fiechter brothers too?! Have you ever listened to Antti Martikainen? He has a really nice pirate album too :) *wink*

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's okay, Catherine - that might explain why I don't get many people (a.k.a. none, lately) doing it with me. Hmm... maybe I should be making that information a bit more clear... :P
      Yes! The Fiechters are sooooo awesome! They have music for every novel, every board game, and every writing session I could ever want. And I'll try the recommendation! :D

      Delete
    2. I'm working on a post that will come out sometime next month - I had wanted it for this month but tags got in the way...who knows, maybe more people will join in!

      Do you mind if I borrow your title picture??

      Hope you had a Merry Christmas!!

      Catherine

      Delete
    3. Oh, yay!!! You have no idea how glad this makes me! :D
      Sure! Anyone on the link-up is welcome to the picture!
      I did, and Merry Christmas to you, Catherine!

      Delete
    4. Got'er done!!

      http://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2018/01/meet-books-all-about-caoimhe.html

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)