Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Day We Saw the Blue Angels Fly - A Poem

A poem about the amazing Naval air-stunt team, the Blue Angels, who I saw fly twice, but who captured me both times.
***
Dedicated to my cousin, Andrew, for whom I originally wrote this, and to the hero that we saw fly that day.


My cousins, my uncle, my grandpa, and I
With my aunt to the museum went;
There we saw the Blue Angels fly,
And in awe our time was spent.




Over us all they flew above,
Unafraid of the heights they explored.
It gives me chills just thinking of
the way that each speeding jet soared.




Through the sky they fleetingly flew,
Like rocketing birds of the clouds -
Each was just a flash of blue,
To amazement of all in the crowds.

Loudly rioted air against wing
As they spiraling spaceward blazed,
Trailing a white, billowing string
When to the stars their focus was raised.




Hours passed in a moment's glance,
While from excitement we were chained
With each turn, and swerve, and dance
Of the blue, brilliant planes.




And though brief was our visit there,
Remember always will I
The day we went to the museum of air,
And saw the Blue Angels fly.

What did you think? Did you ever see the Blue Angels? Were you as riveted as I? I was so excited - little did I know, though, that day, that I had gotten the autograph of a hero upon my Blue Angels picture; Angel #5. Only a month or so after I saw them perform in Florida he died, crashing his plane with him in it instead of ejecting, so as to save the building of people that was in the course of his stunt plane. I had intended this as a light-hearted poem originally, just written for my cousin's poetry recital contest at school, but that hard piece of news a month later gave the poem a new meaning to me. I'm glad I wrote it, and I'm keeping it. I only hope that it does just honor to the pilot who gave his life as a Blue Angel. I'm putting it on here as a memorial not just for him, but for all military members who serve at a cost... even the ones in stunt planes save lives.


6 comments:

  1. Whoa. I really liked it, and it means a lot with Angel 5's sacrifice. Eternal rest upon his soul.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It definitely meant more to me after that, especially considering I got to talk to the guy and get his autograph on a picture and everything. It made it seems so much deeper than before.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen the Blue Angels- or any sort of stunt plane- fly, but I still enjoyed this poem and felt the thrill!
    Thanks also for sharing the sad and noble story of the Angel 5 pilot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it communicated a little of my own captivation - it was an experience I'll remember fondly.
      If I can do anything to honor a man who gave his life for others, than I'd say my tiny bit of poetic talent hasn't been wasted. God knew what he was doing when he had me write this, I guess. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. I'd read and loved this poem before, but I never knew the tragic and beautiful story behind it. Thank you so much for sharing, Belle.

    (I've never seen the Blue Angels, but I've always had a bit of a thing for aviation, as you know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. I didn't know the story myself until a few days after it happened - about three weeks after I wrote the poem.
      I think you would love the Blue Angels! They are sight astounding to behold, truly.

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)