Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Updates For June

As usual, I needed a post... and didn't know what to put up. And usually, I scrape something or other together at the last minute. But today, it seems I am giving in to laziness and just putting up life update... or it's possible that I'm giving up to those three semester end essays I need to write. Anywho. I suppose I'll get started instead of rambling.
What I Read
Mostly, I was still reading Philosophy of Mind, finishing that up. But in my free time, I decided it would be fun to do the summer reading challenge at my local library one last year. So I've been catching on some books I've meant to read for a while mainly.
How to Train Your Dragon was a good book, though rather crude in its humor (however, I'm told by a few someones whose opinions I trust very much that the books get better as they go on, so I'm sticking with them this time). I was going to get the second one as well, but it seemed that the library had lent it out to someone else already. Oh well. I shall amend that situation when I return the first book. It was definitely interesting, particularly that part at the end where *spoilers* they get the two giant dragons to fight each other *spoilers end*. However, on a whole, if the books didn't apparently get better, I probably wouldn't go on reading the series, as it was rather shallow and typical, if entertaining as light reading.
A Series of Unfortunate Events was the same case as How to Train Your Dragon in that the library only had the first book at the time (somebody must've just been going through and reading the same series as I, just one book ahead). However, despite this inconvenience, I enjoyed it far more. The humor was far more respectful, and less shallow, though, unfortunately, still on the slightly more common side. It was definitely light reading (this first book, btw, was called A Bad Beginning), but it was a good beginning to a good series. I - heathen that I am - watched the tv series first, but have wanted to read the books since. The first book was good, but I can't wait until the second (it was my favorite of the episodes!).
I also was beta reading a good deal for my best friend, who started yet another new story recently. But that was probably the most enjoyable of the books I've read this month.
Overall, aside from the first-mentioned, it was a rather light reading month, but in my defense, I have only managed to get to the library once all month due to being sick, so I was not exactly as able as in other months.
What I Watched
I watched the first two Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies for the first time. What else even matters. These were some of the best movies I have seen in ages, and possibly the best superhero movies I've seen period. I absolutely loved them. I loved Spiderman. I loved Tobey Maguire's acting. I loved everything about them. Especially with how disappointed I had originally been with Tom Holland's Spiderman. You see, from a very young age, I was in love with Spiderman - my first great fandom love. When I was about seven, I used to watch the Spiderman cartoon all the time, and I absolutely loved Peter Parker. His hair, the way he dressed, the way he acted, and how lovable he always was. And I have had a distaste for every other Spiderman possibly because of this. Until Tobey Maguire. He was almost exactly like my beloved cartoon Peter, even down to the swept-aside caramel hair and constant adorable dorky way of saying 'Mary Jane.' I loved him. I hardly think any other movies I watched this month mattered.
The Bat, The Undying Monster, and The Last Man on Earth were my 'talkie' horrors of the month. I watched a lot of silent movies this month, as well as a lot of horrors, but these were the non-silent horrors I watched, I think. The second was a British Wolfman film (so, unfortunately, no Mr. Talbot in it), but it had the feel of a murder mystery more than an actual horror. Same case for The Bat, a Vincent Price movie that you should not watch at night when the only people up are you and your sister watching with you. The Last Man on Earth was very eerie, but its eeriness was betrayed near the end by a giveaway 1960's cheesiness. The ending, however, was no joke, and put you right back on the idea that this was no happy - nor cheesy - movie. Another Vincent Price that I don't recommend watching at night. Actually, come to think of it, I did watch two more 'talkie' horror movies - I watched Son of Dracula and House of Frankenstein. Both were Lon Chaney movies, and the latter was also a Boris Karloff, but both were cheesy. The second one was less so, but Son of Dracula had only a rather shockingly good ending to its name and nothing more. House of Frankenstein at least had some proper scares.
It was one of the most famous romantic comedies of all time, though a silent movie. I liked it, but the so-called 'It girl,' Clara Bow's character, was rather unlikable. Her two best friends, however, Monty Montgomery, and the young mother whose name I could not catch, were quite likable characters. The main guy, Mr. Rich, or whatever his name was (it's so much harder to catch names in silent movies!), was also a good character, though a bit of a dunce, honestly. The plot was pretty good, and I can see why it gained such fame.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the silent movie version, was another horror movie of the month. While being good, the overall creepiness of the film was interrupted by the rather bad acting of Dr. Jekyll during his transformation scenes - unless, of course, my laughter had been what the producers had wanted during those scenes. The Haunted Castle was good, though decidedly a murder mystery and not a horror as it was labeled (the genres seem to cross often in old Hollywood...). Let me see. What else. Well, I started to watch another old movie called Eternally Yours, but once I realize the cover was no joke, and David Niven (an extremely boring fellow) really was the male lead, then I switched it to something else.
Yeah... it seems most of June was spent watching old movies. Which is kinda pathetic. But, I suppose, better old movies than new ones. At least the acting's better (most of the time).
What I Wrote
I didn't write a whole lot this month. Mostly, I wrote more in The Pain of a Memory and The Second Brother (and, yes, to any readers of The Second Brother that are reading this, I will be sending it soon). Also, I suppose I was writing a lot in my co-authored fantasy (which I may or may not introduce on here at some point). I also joined an online writing group with some acquaintances from a parish back in Virginia. Our newsletter is in the making, and, if allowed, I may post it on here when the first edition is finished.
What I Listened To
Music-wise, I had a good month, I think. I discovered a new artist, called One Voice Children's Choir. I don't listen to most of their things (just because I'm not a big fan of modern music, and they seem to do a lot of choral covers of popular songs), but a few select ones got replayed a good few times. Namely, When You Believe, A Million Dreams (from The Greatest Showman), and Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep, a very sad, but particularly beautiful choral piece. I highly recommend checking them out, and - to the more modernly-minded listener - check out Something Just Like This as well, as it is also worth checking out, if a modern song.
I also discovered that there is a new Il Divo album (called Timeless) coming out - I am checking today if it has actually come out yet, and I will probably come on here and rant with delight if it has... and probably moan in agony on here if it hasn't. Either way, you'll hear of it. ;P
Also, I was shown a song which has immediately become a common sing-around-the-house anthem by a friend, this song being Style, from Bing Crosby's Robin and the Seven Hoods. If you have not listened to it, you must needs do so. (Warning: It will probably get stuck in your head.)
What I Did
"Eh... I play de guitar." But seriously, despite the fact that that's a quote from an awesome movie, and well-worth quoting, unfortunately, I do not play the guitar. However. I am learning a simplified version of my favorite piano piece, Fur Elise, on my cupboard piano, as well as The Entertainer (a classic ice cream truck anthem) and a Paisello piece. I have been writing accompaniment finally to the main theme for my opera, which was a task long overdue, and not altogether easy. I also was finally assigned to sing Der Holle Rache, which is a very difficult, very famous opera aria I have always wanted to sing and probably will take a million years to get right.
I have mainly been doing a lot of unpacking. However, I have still found time to procrastinate (you have to make time for it, you know), and so I have three essays long overdue that I need to write. So, until my next post, arriva derci!
What did you think? What have you read this month? Watched? Written? Listened to? Been up to in general? Have you ever seen a Vincent Price movie?




2 comments:

  1. Haha I'm glad you like Style so much. :) It is a catchy tune, isn't it? I find myself bursting into it randomly all the time...

    And the Tobey Macguire Spider Man movies are the best!! I actually really like Tom Holland, too, but...I can't possibly consider his version *the* Spider Man because it's written for the primary purpose of linking Spidey to the Avengers. And...Spidey doesn't really belong with the Avengers...he's got his own story world and it's way too complex to fit into the movies.

    I've started How to Train Your Dragon and flipped through The Bad Beginning, and both looked interesting...but not necessarily something I want to spend time with. But that LAST book you mention...oh my, is it a joy for beta readers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! And my siblings are already rather tired of it... ;P
      They really are. Tom Holland's cute and all, but really that's about all he's got going for him, is his adorable 'Mr. Stark' gimmick. Whereas Tobey Maguire just *is* Spiderman. And he doesn't need any 'Mr. Stark' to be downright lovable. :)
      Yeah, The Bad Beginning is worth reading, if only as a good sample of Lemony Snicket's intriguing writing style and part of a good series, but really, How to Train Your Dragon's only redeeming point is the series following it, unfortunately.
      Oh, you betcha! I love it so far - I've heard you feel the same, eh? ;D I especially love Miss Rowena - isn't she just kinda like a female Chesterton sometimes with some of the stuff she says? It's just hilarious!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)