Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The 20 Questions Book Tag

Thanks to Hope at her place for tagging me with this! Her post was most entertaining, and I highly encourage checking it out. But what is this? The Twenty Questions Book Tag apparently has no rules (wahoo!) except answering the questions. However. As a matter of custom, I shall still attempt to tag some people at the end of this. That said, I'll dive in.
How many books is too many books in a series?
I'd say no more than ten usually. However, apparently the How to Train Your Dragons books are exceedingly good as they go on, particularly past number ten, so I suppose there must be exceptions. For most books, however, no more than ten (unless it's murder mysteries or something, in which case there must be as many as possible preferably).
How do you feel about cliffhangers?
You know, I'm agreeing with Hope on this one - they are a pain to read but a blast to write. I am not one of those people who is in agony over most cliffhangers, but I make a simple policy of not stopping on one... ever.
Hardback or paperback?
I like both of them. However, I think I like paperback slightly better if only because you can stuff paperback books in totes, purses, pockets, etc., much more easily.
Favorite book?
*shoots self in head* I'm sorry, just no. I do not want to answer this. And, for your information, I have six favorite books. So I'll list all of them, heeheehee. *mischievous grin* The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien,  The Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, and The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (although if I had to bump one off the list and only have five, that last one would be it probably).
Least favorite book?
Well, scream at me all you like, but I personally think the whole Harry Potter series is incredibly stupid and rather lowlife quality. Even back when I used to like it a little better, I wrote a post detailing some of the reasons it's really not all it's cracked up to be. I know too well that this is not a popular opinion, however, so I'll say no more.
Love triangles, yes or no?
Um... Yes and no. Yes because I generally like them and they work splendidly for either drama or comedy, but no because they pain me and the guy I love always ends up losing - always. So... well, uh, no comment...because I can't really answer this properly.
The most recent book you just couldn't finish?
That would be Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. I would read it every time I went over to my grandparent's house, because they had a copy, but someone kept replacing it every time I left, so I had to look for it every time to continue it. Eventually, I just plain-out lost it. I could not find the book and nobody seemed to know where it was. So, it remained unfinished, until one day, when my father came home with a bin of old books for my picking...
A book you are currently reading?
Difficult question. I am still reading Feser's brilliant Philosophy of Mind (I had to put it on hold for most of June and July because I was doing a reading challenge at the library), but I have also been listening to the Silmarillion on audiobook with mio padre. I also just finished Lemony Snicket's The Austere Academy.
Last book you recommended to someone?
Probably The Scarlet Pimpernel. It's just the book that I automatically recommend if I hear anyone wants a good read - because, believe me, it is a very good read.
Oldest book you've read? (Publication date)
Haha, I think one of the oldest books there is yet, at least in the realm of fiction -  probably Beowulf. I absolutely love that book. Really, epics have to be the best genre, and Beowulf's the best of them...
Newest book you've read? (Publication date)
Probably The Wide-Awake Princess by E.D. Baker. I read it awhile back as some very light reading, but I actually found it quite adorable and amusing, particularly for a fairy-tale retell, most of which I despise. I also loved the idea of all the princes (I would tell you my favorites, but I cannot remember most of their names except that Digby was the really stupid one).
Favorite author?
That is very hard, but I believe it would be J.R.R. Tolkien. The only other who comes close is G.K. Chesterton.
Buying books or borrowing books?
Borrowing. Thankfully, unlike most people, I don't have to pay nor have a return date when I borrow books, though - my dad's library is so extensive that it needs a whole room, and I very much take advantage of that.
A book you dislike that everyone else seems to love?
Oh, gosh... *groans* Just name almost any popular book, classic or new, honestly. Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels, Percy Jackson, the first How to Train Your Dragon.. the list could go on forever.
Bookmarks or dog-ears?
Bookmarks! Dog-ears are destructive!
A book you can always reread?
Aside from the ones I've already mentioned, Dracula by Bram Stoker is a book I always love coming back to. It really is the tops in the realm of horror.
Can you read while hearing music?
It depends. I can read if there's subtle enough music going on in the room, but I never choose to put music on while I read. It just doesn't allow you to think on the book as much, because you're too busy creating atmosphere. To me, music while reading just rather reminds of my siblings being noisy in the background while I'm reading. Music is beautiful, and good for many things, but I don't really like having it while reading.
One POV or multiple POVs? (POV = Point of view)
Multiple. Definitely multiple.
Do you read a book in one sitting or over multiple days?
It depends on the book, but generally, it takes a few days.
A book you've read because of the cover?
That would be The Wide-Awake Princess. Because the girl on the cover was so darn adorable, and the book actually looked rather classier and non-agendified (in that the female characters all seemed to be wearing dresses and the proper raiment of their time, and there was no indication of a fractured fairy tale except the fact that the main character was awake in a court of sleeping people). Like I said, it's light reading, but it was a pretty cute book.
Well, that's about all. What did you think? Have you read any of these books? What are you reading right now? For those who wish to pick up the tag, feel free! As for people I shall tag, the only person that comes to mind who hasn't already been tagged (to my knowledge) right now is Catherine over at Rebel's Muse - so the tag's for you, Catherine, if you have the inclination. For now, addio, amici!

10 comments:

  1. Ah what a lovely post!

    Yes indeed, mystery book series should have as many books as possible! I say, Belle, are you familiar with Dorothy L. Sayers' detective fiction? I just read Strong Poison and am positively smitten with Lord Peter...if there were a hundred books in that series I would be thrilled...

    The Scarlet Pimpernel is amazing! So are Tolkien and Chesterton. *bounces around happily* Although hey. I love The Wizard of Oz. (I mean, it was one of those series that dragged on way too long...but I thought the first one was adorable.) Yuck to Gulliver's Travels, though. I only read Chapter One and that was enough.

    Right now I'm reading Murder on the Orient Express for the first time as well as Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. But I really just wanna get done with both of those so I can get back to my Wimsey. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am familiar with the idea of, but have never read Sayer's fiction - I very much want to, though! Especially at your recommendation.
      Ugh. I know it's most people's favorite, but I never liked Wizard of Oz. It was just too nonsensical for my tastes. Ugh, yes, Gulliver's Travels. Such a boring book.
      Wimsey? What's Wimsey?
      I would like to read Murder on the Orient Express, but have no access to a copy at present. (Plus, I would like to read the Poirot books in order.)

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, it's very very good! Wimsey is the name of her detective and--my dear, I have not been this madly in love with a fictional man in a very long time if ever. *sheepish grin*

      I can see Wizard of Oz being too nonsensical...that was what grated on my nerves about it after a few books. A safe fairyland can never be satisfying, as Tolkien once said I believe...

      Delete
    3. I need to look him up, then!
      I quite agree with Tolkien. I've never much liked books where the nonsensical is all there is to it. But, like I said in the post, that's just one of many peeves of mine in books, so it's no huge deal.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I still need to finish Dracula! I'm liking it so far but it's ended up in my "Started but Haven't Finished" TBR list.

    Also, I'm slightly hurt you didn't like the first How to Train Your Dragon . . . :( :'( But then again I'm slightly obsessed with the franchise. Just a little bit . . .

    Great post, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??? You need to finish it! Seriously, it's one of the best books ever written.
      Well, I guess I *liked* it, but it's more that I'm keeping on the series because it's supposed to get better as it goes on. If all of them were like the first one, I 'd probably pass it up (but that's only because it felt like too light of reading).

      Delete
  3. I didn't hate Gullivers Travels, I just found it somewhat depressing at the end.
    I do remember enjoying Beowulf though!

    I agree with Megan: Sayers' Whimsey books are must-reads! Whimsey is such a character, I'm sure you'll love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, that was the point of the question, after all - 'A book you dislike that everyone else seems to love.' And it seems I picked well, because I've accidentally gotten on everybody's nerves by insulting one of their beloved tomes! XD Oops.
      I'm quite sure I would - I'll have to look him up!

      Delete
    2. I'm not offended, I don't even blame you. I'm just mentioning my thoughts with a shrug. I neither love nor hate Gulliver's Travels. I can't comment on Harry Potter and Wizard of Oz, having never read them, and I can't comment on Percy Jackson or How to Train your Dragon, having never finished either series.
      I can, however, comment again on the Whimsey books! You really do need to look them up. ASAP.

      Delete
    3. Phew! That's good. I'm afraid I'm such a stubbornly contrary miss that oftentimes I very narrowly escape offending people (if I escape it at all), so it is always a phobia of mine.
      I never *read* Percy Jackson either, at least not more than the inside cover, but I did watch the movies (my mom is more of a teenager than I am, seriously, and she wanted me to watch them with her). ;P
      I will do so as soon as possible (and between you and Megan, I am quite intrigued - they must be good to garner both your standards, which are generally rather different). I can't wait to get my hands on them...!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)