Pages

Friday, February 1, 2019

Meet the Books! - The Harlequin Sleuth

Whelp, I promised I'd do my best to get it out soon, so here it is! Hopefully I have successfully flaunted blog laziness for a little while. Anyways, though, for any of you who don't know Meet the Books!, it's a link-up of my own making for anybody to join and introduce their WIPs on their blog. The only rules are to answer the questions in a post, and to link it up back here so I can see it. So, without further ado, I'll get right to it.
What is the genre?
The genre is Mystery. Not strictly Murder Mystery, mind you, but just general Mystery, like Sherlock Holmes and Father Brown and all those wonderfully diverse mystery series.
What is the title? Time period?
The title of the first book (and of the series) is, at least for now, The Harlequin Sleuth. The time period is the mid-1930's.
How is it written (POV, main character, etc.)?
As usual, third person limited, though with only one main character.
Who are the characters?
These are only the repeating characters - it would take way too long to list all the characters planned through the series.
Ettiano Travista is a circus runaway (quite literally) with an Italian performing carnival in 1930's America. He came to America from Santa Lucia as a performer after avoiding the life he had previously pursued - that of a professional police detective. In becoming acquainted with the lifestyle and people, he decided that there was nothing he wanted less than to spend his life with such sordid people, always have enemies, and daily endanger his loved ones merely for the satisfaction of mental challenge and a well-paying job. It just isn't a responsible thing to do. Though everyone else seems to feel rather differently about it... including
Zolita Diez del Castillo, Ettiano's Hispanic date who sings in the carnival. She is headstrong, though strictly traditional (and strictly European) in her values, and often gives Ettiano a hard time about any range of things - particularly his choice to fly on the wires instead of hunting down criminals. After all, should a man cower from what he's good at just because he claims to not want anyone to get hurt?
Gregorio Ricci is the strong man at the carnival. Perhaps a bit naïve, but generally one of the kinder souls in the strange country, and always willing to help, sometimes to his disadvantage...
Ettiano's mother, Maria, is the strongest advocate of the detective career for Ettiano, unlike Ettiano himself. Like Ettiano, though, and probably even more so, she is extremely stubborn.
Lieutenant Rackett is a slightly cynical, though very clever police detective who often criticizes Ettiano as well. He, however, can quite live with the fact that it's up to him to solve any crimes around the carnival, as he not only enjoys his job, but is extremely skilled at it. Perhaps a bit American, and therefore doubtful of the strange troupe of Europeans, but cool of temper and quick of mind.
What does the plot consist of?
For the first book, the plot can be summed up easily - a murder where the victim isn't killed, a theft where the object isn't stolen, and a case where the policeman doesn't put two and two together alone. But of course, one cannot make much sense out of mystery stories.
What is the setting?
The Italian carnival as it travels through Great Depression-age America.
What gave you the idea?
Not sure... Probably the wish to try a new genre, I suppose.
Who are the favorite characters so far?
Ironically, Gregorio, who hasn't even made a full-fledged appearance yet.
What is the favorite scene so far?
None as of yet, as far as I know.
Any themes of music for this work?
Not at the moment - unfortunately, detectives don't usually have theme songs.
Any drawings?
Yes... but it was terrible, so I'm afraid I'll skip it for now.
Any snippets?
While I love reading other people's snippets when they do this link-up, it seems I never can manage to post any myself... *sighs* Unfortunately, none of the story is typed up yet, so there are no snippets except hastily scrawled in a notebook.
Strong point in story?
I have never written a mystery book before, and never a successful short story, so I haven't the slightest...
Weak point in story?
Hmm, probably how fast I seem to be forgetting most of the ultra-important, invaluable, plot-won't-work-without-this details...
What are your plans for it?
Meh. Finish it and start another one when I feel like it. I'm mainly writing this series for kicks more than anything else, and to try something new, so it's not a huge project or anything.
Any particular writing habits for it?
Other than always writing in the same notebook, and listening to lots of Chopin, not really.
If it were made into a movie, what would be your ideal cast for it?
Not sure... I guess Fernando Lamas would make a good Ettiano, but that's the only actor that immediately comes to mind.
Whelp, that wraps it up! What do you think - would you read it? Are you working on any projects right now? Are you planning on joining the link-up? What is your favorite detective series? Have you ever tried writing one?

7 comments:

  1. Whelp. Guess I'm making good on that promise, eh? It shall be done before the week is out...I hope. I'll link them in replies to this comment when I get them done.

    Now for the story of yours....I'm highly intrigued. Italian, circus, and mystery all wrapped into one? Sign me up! I love the names you chose especially - then again, Italian and Spanish names are wonderful anyway.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the first segment of three: https://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2019/02/meet-books-fair-winds.html

      Delete
    2. Ooh, yay! I can't wait to read them! Thanks for joining the link-up, Catherine!

      Thanks! It's been fun so far! Oh, si, certissimo - Italian and Spanish names are the best.

      Delete
    3. Here's the second segment of three: https://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2019/02/meet-books-soi.html

      Delete
    4. And now, the third! https://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2019/02/meet-books-pst.html

      Delete
  2. Ooh ooh ooh. Detective fiction: I heartily approve. 1930s: I decidedly approve. Circus: I also approve. All the characters sound very interesting, and a detective who doesn't particularly want to be a detective--sounds A-OK to me!!

    I'd love to join the linkup--it's such fun!--but alas, what on earth would I do it on? I'm afraid my blog is already inundated with Barnstormer. Maybe the latest rehash of the space story.

    I've never tried detective fiction and feel that I should fail miserably at it. Lord Peter's currently my favorite, although of course Fr. Brown is pretty tops too.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Megan! Hopefully I'll wrap it up before Camp starts so you can read it.

      Well, haha, I don't care if you post more about Barnstormer or whatever - even just make up a story! I always love reading your posts, and I love it when anybody joins the fun.

      That's exactly what I thought, and it's actually going fairly smoothly so far. Really, it's much easier than it seems, if I am indeed doing it right.
      Ooh, yes, Fr. Brown is awesome! And I still need to meet Lord Peter...

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)