Pages

Friday, March 15, 2019

Get to Know Me: Writer's Edition Tag

So. You probably are all wondering why, after so many sincere apologies and wishes to do better, I have vanished off of the face of the earth yet again. Well. All I can say is "meep." Because there really is no better excuse I can give, I'm afraid (though, as far as excuses go, "meep" is a pretty good one, even if it is overused). Lent happened. And the school year decided that now was not the time for Belle to blog. Oh well...


Anyways, though, the reason I'm back to seek redemption once more is because, a) I love you guys, of course, and b) Catherine offered me a wonderful little tag that looked quite fun. But before I get into it, I must touch on the rules (and quote, as always - "what is fun without the rules?").


1. Link back to the person who created the tag. (Miss Savannah can be found here.)
2. Thank the person who tagged you.
3. Share the tag graphic (optional). (Well, I don't know about you, but generally, when I see the word "optional," I think "actually, don't do it, it's not necessary.")
4. Tag eleven bloggers.


My most hearty thanks to you, Catherine *tips hat, but then realizes it's not ladylike and curtsies instead* - hopefully my attempt is as enjoyable as Catherine's own post was (I suggest checking it out, here, despite the fact that she is photo-shy).


As for who I'm tagging... I don't even know eleven bloggers, I don't think. So. I shall tag two bloggers who (I think) have not done it yet, and whoever else passes this post by idly (and is a writer, of course). I tag Megan Chappie and Lia. And now, I shall hope to it...!


Vital Stats/Appearance
Name: Belle Anne (no kidding - but not my full name, of course, because, if you haven't noticed, I am a cyberphobe, and don't like using my full name online.)
Nicknames: Most prominently Bellbell, but also occasionally Anyone, Peanut, or Granny/the Old Lady (Spiderman has also shown up as a name from time to time).
Birthday: In November, the most disagreeable month, of course.
Hair Color and Length: Oh boy. Um, think a mix of chicken broth and dishwater for hair color, haha, but semi-wavy and hip-length. Basically very long and a rather hideous shade of blond.
Eye Color: Very bright blue, as I love to boast of constantly as my own version of Jo March's hair.
Braces/Piercings/Tattoos: Ugh, haha, no tattoos, but I do have my ears pierced, and, while I never wore braces, per se, I used to wear plastic trays and still wear a retainer at night.
Righty or Lefty: A boring old righty, I'm afraid!
Ethnicity: Barbarian, haha. While the variations thereupon are a bit diverse, I am almost completely Viking and Celt (so lots of Norwegian, Slavic, and Scottish), though I am an Italian wannabe.

Firsts
First Novel Written: Um, a long-trashed version of Snow White that was basically the exact same as the typical fairy-tale, just slightly elaborated on. Either that or a Red-Riding Hood one that was a similar story.
First Novel Completed: Huzzah - The Pain of a Memory was completed just this past year, and it is now in the halls of glory as one of my most prized possessions.
Award for Writing: Haha, no awards yet, except the honor of successfully turning everybody's least favorite character into their favorite, including my rather persnickety writing confidante.

First Publication: Um, hehehe... aside from stuff on this blog and a writing newsletter I recently left, I have never published any writing, I don't think. I am publishing a song, however...
*cue music for a musical number*
Conference: The first and only writing conference I ever went to was a conference of Bryan Davis, the writer of a few commendable Christian fantasy novels. It was pretty fun, I remember it fondly, and it was a good initiation into the writing world, I suppose, but I will note that Bryan Davis' styles generally do differ from my own preferences, to say the least...
Query/Pitch: For a story...? Okay, here goes...

Sometimes a memory can have a lot of power. It can make a man. It can shape the most twisted monster or the most virtuous hero, as Anwynne, a young queen-to-be, finds while on her journey to her future throne. When that journey is halted, she meets many a hero and monster shaped by fighting or forgiving memory, and discovers her own humanity in the light of others' suffering.

Favorites
Novel (that you wrote): Okay, that's just cruel. You want to start a sibling rivalry or something?! Because that's what will happen if I choose between my kids, you know - and they're unruly kids at that, so sibling rivalry is something I need like a hole in the head. But... if I had to say... I guess I'd say either The Top-Hat Gang or Alomina.
Genre: Probably historical fiction, at least for reading. Though my appreciation for nonfiction, particularly philosophy, has skyrocketed in the past couple years.
Author: Ooh, that's a toughie. Probably either J.R.R. Tolkien or G.K. Chesterton.
Writing Music: Hmm, depends on the story. But usually it is either movie soundtracks, particularly the 2015 Cinderella (for my medieval novels) or swing music, particularly by Bing Crosby or Glenn Miller (for the five novels that are twentieth century onward).
Time to Write: Either afternoon or evening, because those are the quietest times of day.
Writing Snack/Drink: If a snack, then either pretzels, veggie straws, or chocolate, but if a drink, almost always coffee.
Movie: Okay, I don't actually have a favorite movie. There are way too many. I used to, but then I could never decide satisfactorily, so I just don't have a single favorite now. But... of my favorite movie types, I'd say most things with Gary Cooper or early Tyrone Power, Abbot and Costello movies, and the couple really good religious movies there are out there (namely The PassionThe Robe, and For Greater Glory). (And I just realized that only two out of all those movies are not in black and white or Technicolor...)
Writing Memory: The wonderful writing group I used to be a part of, particularly one day when we were discussing clichés. It was... quite amusing, to say the least.
Childhood Book: Some of the first chapter books I remember reading were Little House in the Big Woods (high five, Catherine!) and an abridged copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and both remain quite beloved with me.

Currently
Reading: Cardinal Sarah's The Power of Silence and also still Imitation of Christ.
Writing: Mostly this year's big project - my frustrating Fantasy series-starter, The Second Brother.
Listening to: Il Divo!
Watching: Anything Gary Cooper that I can get my hands on, but most recently High Noon.
Learning: Latin and Italian, how to play the full version of Fur Elise (finally!!!), and still the E Strano... Sempre Libera sequence from La Traviata.
Future
Want to be Published: Actually, I don't really care that much if I never get published. Sure, I would like to be at some point, but I realize that most of my writing is directed more towards the rare sort-of stodgy tastes like mine, so it is unlikely to ever get published. So I'm totally fine just sitting on the sidelines of the writing world - besides, most of the people I would want to read my story could without it being published, though I am rather sad that its theme might never reach anyone in need of it due to the bad writing quality and the fact of not being published.
Indie of Traditional: I'm assuming this means self-publishing or press-publishing? In that case, if I did publish, I'd prefer to press-publish with some smaller, more lenient press.
Wildest Goal: To get my musical and opera performed on stage, or at least one of them.
That's all for now, folks! What did you think? Have you done this tag? (If not, please pick it up!) What are you reading right now? Is anybody else here an Il Divo fanatic...?!





6 comments:

  1. Ooh thanks for the tag!

    My dear, your description of your hair is hilarious, but it simply isn't true. Your hair is LOVELY, I don't know where you get these self-deprecating ideas...*shakes head while making Mother Hen clucks*

    And man! I still need to read The Pain of a Memory!!!!

    Lovely tag, Belle m'dear! Nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prego!

      Haha, yes it is - you may think it's lovely, but I do believe that I feel the same way about it as I do about raw green beans...

      Si, certo - but not until you have the time!

      Thanks! I shall try to be back more!

      Delete
  2. Dear goodness, I have pulled one of your tricks for disappearing! Except I went down into a deep dark cave and got lost for a time and have just now resurfaced again....*blinks in the bright light*

    Anyhoo...I have listened to a few Il Divo tracks and I do like them a lot :)

    I say without hesitation that your post was very much enjoyed - your descriptions are par excellence, to be sure. I was very much amused by the "barbarian" descriptor of your ethnicity :)

    Agreed on the novel sibling rivalry thing....right now The White Rose and Fair Winds are duking it out on the porch, so I oughta go break that up....

    Lovely tag, Belle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee - it's not just me! Perhaps we can share vanishing tricks.

      Ooh, yay - I'm so glad! They're easily my favorite band and possibly my favorite musical artist period.

      Hahaha, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yup, that's what my family always says - we're pure-bred barbarians. ;P

      Ach, haha, have fun with that... Novel siblings rivalries are no picnic to break up, ya know...

      Delete
  3. is everywhere: from English literature, to economics, to physics, geography, main-stream reports, Click This Link

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first part of my articles on SAT test preparation for Essay writing focused on the importance of structure of an essay. Continuing on the journey, we will talk about the second aspect of writing a good essay. Inspirational story to read

    ReplyDelete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)