Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

August Updates

I suppose it's been a while since I've done a general life update post, so I'll remedy that now. As always, I seem to have misplaced my time and written the post after an awkward silence has already arisen... which, also as always, I apologize for. One of these days, I'll get my head on straight and actually blog like a real blogger. Perhaps today will be the start. Anywho… I suppose I'll get onto books first, since that's what's important.

Books


The Lost Cause by E. A. Pollard
Because this book is as thick as a Tolstoy novel, I still have not finished it. It is, however, a highly commendable book from what I have read so far.
 The Lost Cause is a Southern history of the Civil War, and is mostly very accurate (except in battle statistics and a slight pro-Southerner prejudice, it has been quite infallible so far). While it is nonfiction, it reads very much like high fiction, and is extremely light of prose, if rather heavy of bulk. The way the war is characterized in it certainly makes you feel the tragedy that the war was - while it brought about a good thing, it certainly spared no cost to get there, in a "the end justifies the means" sort-of way. 
Overall, I would highly recommend it, providing you have a source of more updated battle statistics for the War to follow along with.


King Lear by William Shakespeare
I  am also still in the midst of this one, due to my policy of having an "at home" book and a "traveling" book. King Lear leaves with me because it's probably about the size of one chapter from The Lost Cause.
As far as Shakespeare goes, the prose (does one use the word "prose" for a play...?) is fairly easy to follow, and the vocabulary is mostly self-explanatory. The plot is, so far, extremely interesting, especially since, unlike seemingly everyone else I know, I actually do not know how it goes (because apparently my education on Shakespeare is very limited...). The characters come through very well, though it is hard to pick a favorite yet, as I am only about halfway through.
As it is Shakespeare, I would be a snob, not to mention egotistic, to give or withhold recommendation of the document to readers - it's a classic, so it should be read regardless. However - for my own opinion and those who have one of similar genre, I have certainly enjoyed the book.

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket
Alas, I am still working my way through A Series of Unfortunate Events rather slowly, but every library trip brings me closer...
This particular episode of Mr. Snicket's was definitely one of the best ones I've read. Honestly, as light and comically-inclined as Lemony Snicket's writing is and all, I have rarely read such a brilliantly simple presentation of the question of evil. Mr. Snicket, through the tale of the Baudelaires and their misdemeanors, asks us all a question that is fundamental to human existence - "What is evil?". And, wordlessly, he gives us the answer as well. While many different characters in the series have many different answers, including evil as a necessary balance to good, evil as an entity all its own, evil as an ignorance of reality, and a good few others, he continually shows us that evil is the crack in a broken glass - a distortion of something that could have been good. While many other running themes in the story definitely bear mention (such as "the ends do not justify the means," suffering as a basic part of life, and the beauty of classical reason), this is probably the one best illustrated in the series.
The whole series is recommended - and this installment no less.

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket
Coming directly after The Slippery Slope, I was slightly disappointed by this one, which was not quite as good. It was, nonetheless, good writing, and an intriguing update to the series. Overall, I think I didn't like it as well just because of the general setting and the side characters, both of which were personal preference, I suppose. As a whole, it continued Mr. Snicket's sterling plot with a razor-sharp suspense that left one roaring for the next edition. The theme could have used a little more fleshing-out as opposed to the book's predecessors, but it was a small detail in light of the plot development. 

Barnstormers by Megan Chappie
If you have not heard of it yet, I suggest looking it up on her blog, here (as I am very bad at summarizing other people's works). Barnstormers, so far, has had a potent flavor and beautifully rustic prose - enough to make one's mouth water in literary awe. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

(The cover is Catherine's.)

The White Rose by Catherine Hawthorn
Poor Catherine... She's had to put up with one of the slowest (and probably least helpful) alpha readers ever, but has been a doll about it. I am still not even halfway, though I picked up this wonderful book almost a month ago... *cough cough procrastination cough* Anyways, though, so far the work has been quite refreshing - new ideas, thorough setup, and classic romance. What more could a reader ask for?
As a whole, I would certainly recommend it, though I also recommend looking it up via Catherine's blog (here) rather than Belle's ranting. 
***
Unfortunately, as a whole, I did not get in nearly as much reading as I would have liked (so I apologize for the short list) - hopefully this month will be better.

Movies




The Egg and I (1947)
My best friend set to her work with educating both me and my dear friend, Megan Chappie, on the beauty of the Murray and Cole pairing. The Egg and I was her very first attempt, and I'd say it met with fair success. I mean, cute romance, chaotic chicken farming (with screwball comedy), and loveable old movie side characters - how much better can it get?

No Time For Love (1943)
Starring Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night) and Fred MacMurray (The Happiest Millionaire), the movie was a romantic comedy chronicling an eccentric photographer (Colbert) accidently losing a grouchy ditch-digger (MacMurray) his job, and trying to make up for it by hiring him as an assistant. It was utterly hilarious, with a thrilling climax wherein Colbert is nearly drowned in the very tunnel MacMurray worked in, trying to get him his job back. The movie was another one of my first "Murray and Cole" experiences (shocking, I know, but apologies to any Murray-Cole fans out there), and I must admit I found the pair delightful - the oh-so-feminine and oh-so-clever Colbert with down-to-earth, ultra masculine MacMurray was a paragon of the saying "opposites attract." Aside from a cheesy dream scene, the movie was certainly recommendable.


Family Honeymoon (1948)
This was the top of the Murray and Cole streak for the month. This one was screwball comedy at its best - a widowed mother of three (Colbert) marries a young bachelor (MacMurray) and then finds out that there is no one to keep the children whilst the two are on their honeymoon... chaos ensues. The movie came just a week too late to be added to my movie block of pro-family movies, unfortunately, but I would definitely add it as an honorable mention for its beautiful pro-family theme. The need of a father for children was illustrated both comedically and deeply in it, and the strength of marriage was a theme to save the story. This was easily the best of the Murray-Cole bunch.


Teacher's Pet (1958)
This one was a re-watch, but since it's been a while, and I don't believe I've blogged about it for a while, it's worth bringing up. While definitely a slightly more adult movie as far as Golden Hollywood goes, it's a splendid romantic comedy with splendid acting, courtesy of the star-studded cast of Clark Gable (It Happened One Night, Gone With the Wind), Doris Day (The Thrill of it All!, Young at Heart, The Winning Team), and Gig Young (Young at Heart). Gable plays a cynical newspaper editor who attempts to play a prank on night-school journalism teacher, Doris Day, and gets the butt end of the joke in the end. With Gig Young playing the teacher's best friend, an amiable, know-it-all psychologist as a side character, the comedy was played to perfection. For anyone over the age of twelve who enjoys romantic comedies, I would certainly suggest this one.


The Black Swan (1942)
This one's another re-watch. Tyrone Power (The Mark of Zorro, The Razor's Edge) and a young Maureen O'Hara (The Quiet Man, The Parent Trap) head the action/adventure movie's cast with some swashbuckling splendor. Telling of some of the escapades surrounding the infamous Cap. Morgan's rise to the government of Jamaica, the movie is refreshingly unprejudiced and honest concerning piracy. Neither English nor Spanish is favored or libeled in the movie, and Catholicism is not butchered... *glares at Errol Flynn movies* Likewise, piracy is not really romanticized except by a couple of the pirates themselves, and the movie shows it for exactly what it is - drunkenness, debauchery, thievery, and mercenary violence. It is not at all portrayed as desirable. *glares at The Pirates of the Caribbean movies* And even aside from the splendid figure cut by Mr. Power, the movie is worth watching.

The Black Rose (1950)
I'm sensing a theme in the titles of Tyrone Power movies... Anyways, though, Tyrone Power stars in another action movie here, set in late medieval England, Mongolia, and China. (Other honorable mentions in the cast include the inimitable Orson Welles.) On a whole, it's a slightly odd movie, with the exotic Oriental feel through most of it, but the quality is sublime, and the story is unbiased and truthful... even on the dreaded topic of Normans vs. Saxons, which is unusual even for old movies. 

King's Row (1942)
As the final movie of August, I explored a famous movie of Ronald Reagan (The Winning Team). King's Row was a historic suspense/drama uncovering a sequence of strange and tragic events in a town of the same title, with Robert Cummings (It Started With Eve) and Reagan heading the cast. The movie was about as suspenseful as I could stand - it was all I could do to keep watching. So, as my form of recommendation... a warning - to those who are faint of heart, hesitate before watching. To those who enjoy suspense, have at!

Music

As far as artists discovered in August go, the only one of note was Clamavi de Profundis, a chant/polyphony/fantasy music group that wrote some splendid musical renditions of many of Tolkien's poems. I highly recommend looking them up, especially their take on the Song of Beren and Luthien
As for my own music, I have been fairly inactive except for the binge-reading of a few songs over in Lia's corner.


Other General Life Events

This past weekend, I just arrived back home from Amish Country in Northern Ohio. Amish Country was beautiful, with hearty food and hearty society, making one's heart ache for days of yore. It was a beautiful trip, and I hope to visit there again at some point. 
School also started up for me as of today, which will make blogging a bit harder... though I intend to try nonetheless, of course... 
I also recently met the splendiferous Catherine Hawthorn in person, which was a wonderful experience. The authoress of one of my reads above was a pleasure to meet, and I only wish that the visit had been longer.
On a whole, as usual, I have been busy, but relatively unproductive - a horrid combination, if you ask me ("We didn't ask you!"). Anyhow, though, this post is horrendously long, so I suppose I shall sign off despite that rather unfortunate note...

And what of my beloved readers? What have all of you been up to? Listening to any good music? Watched any good movies? Read any good books? Any life updates at all? Chat with me - tell me all about what's up and down with you!


14 comments:

  1. J+M+J
    I do believe you aren't alone about not knowing the Shakespeare piece prior... I don't either. But that most likely comes at no surprise....
    You get to Betta-read two people's books...??! Count yourself a bit lucky....
    I watched Egg and I just last month, though I can't say the same for the rest of the titles.
    Currently the ceiling is up, and the floor is down... if I sit upside down like this however.... *Goes to living-room and sits upside-down* ... the floor is up, and the ceiling is down....

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for some reason, even though it's supposed to be one of the most famous of his plays, I never really heard much of it growing up... Perhaps it's just declining in fame... which would be sad.
      Eh, hehe, no. I'm reading five (debatably six) people's books. I just didn't put some of them on here at the preference of the authors.
      Haha, that movie is so good - nothing like some real pro-family romantic comedy.
      Hmm, fascinating. These updates really do astound me...

      Delete
  2. Aw, gee, shucks...Barnstormer and I are blushing. :)

    I don't know how King Lear goes, either. Apparently it's a Shakespeare I really need to explore.

    "The Black Swan"--I saw this title and cover and thought, "waitasecond, I didn't know Pirates of the Caribbean was a remake of an old Tyrone Power movie!!" Heh. Heh. Heh.

    Isn't Catherine a delight? I'm enjoying The White Rose immensely, too!!

    It was such fun watching The Egg and I with you girls!!! (And I have an entirely new appreciation for The Absent Minded Professor now that I've seen Fred MacMurray outside of Disney movies.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, take a bow, won't you? :) Barnstormers is wonderful!

      Okay, this is just getting weird - how is it that one of Shakespeare's *allegedly* most famous plays is unknown to all of us...?!

      Haha, it actually kind-of is, I think. They at least stole a good few elements of it. For instance, Gibbs is basically just Tyrone Power's best friend in that movie, transposed into Pirates of the Caribbean and given a different name. And the house the governor of Jamaica lives in is almost exactly the same as the one in Pirates. And the fastest, "unbeatable" ship in it is called The Black Swan (vs. the Black Pearl).


      Si, certo!

      Dang, I still need to see some of his Disney movies... Absolutely - it was a blast! Though, if we do it again, let's not stay up so late, haha...

      Delete
    2. Ooh that's really cool. I definitely wanna see this now.

      I positively recommend The Absent Minded Professor! It's a family favorite of ours that we're just now rediscovering. It has such a fun premise that I thoroughly enjoyed it as a kid, but revisiting it as an adult I'm discovering all these jokes I had no idea were there, and...it's just an all-around great movie. :)

      Delete
    3. You should!

      Ooh, lovely! I shall certainly check it out!

      Delete
  3. That's exciting that you were able to meet a blogging friend, especially one for whom you beta-read!
    I haven't read any of these books or seen any of these movies (yet). I tried to watch Ben Hur--got most of the way through-- but I'm terrible for finishing movies. Had better luck with books-- Wodehouse, vintage, fantasy and history!
    Life update? I recently found I've been mispronouncing my name this whole time. That's the risk in having a Hebrew name, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, certo - it certainly was!
      Oh, my gosh. *holds out hand* Put 'er there, because I didn't finish Ben-Hur either... turned out that we only had a working version of Part One, and I didn't know it until I tried to watch the second part...

      Hmm, that's gotta be jarring. Strange... How do you deal with that, then?

      Delete
    2. You never even got to the climax, the chariot race? I hope we'll get to finish Ben-Hur someday. I know it takes a long time to watch that movie, but this is ridiculous.

      Ah, it's fine. I've been using the Anglicized version, the version I just learned was the Ashkenazi version, and I'm fairly sure there are other ways to pronounce it besides that.

      Delete
    3. *sighs* No, unfortunately not... Haha, hopefully so...!

      Hmm, cool! Or, I guess kinda confusing, but also kinda cool.

      Delete
  4. I've of course heard of Barnstormer and am dying to read it ;p
    So many fun books and fun-looking movies that I REALLY want to read and watch ;0 And that's so neat you and Catherine met up ;)

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good. We really must needs coax Megan to post some on her blog or something...
      I highly encourage checking them out!
      Si, certo!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm definitely adding that Civil War book to my TBR. I've wanted for a long time to read a reliable book about it from the Southern point of view, because...all the things I find are so biased North-wards! Notwithstanding my Southern roots, I am of course glad the North won insofar as slavery was abolished and the Union wasn't destroyed, but there is OBVIOUSLY more to the Southern point of view than "we must keep slavery, so we're going to talk a lot about States' Rights to make our position seem more noble than it is," which is basically what you get from a lot of places. Is there a particular source with updated statistics you'd recommend? I'm unfortunately not well-versed in these things.

    And, you got to read Barnstormer??? Don't mind me just DYING of jealousy over here... It looks so good. *wistful sigh*

    Chant/polyphony plus Tolkien sounds amazing. I'll have to check them out. Not to mention their name is cool, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good. Like I said, it's very slightly Southern-prejudiced (all that means is that the author dislikes Lincoln and refers to the Union as "the enemy"), but it is pretty good. As for stats, I would recommend just about any newer work (the contemporary ones seem to have slightly outdated statistics for some reason). Any basic battlefield guide (easily found at Barnes and Nobles or Books a Million) should give statistics and field info.

      Haha, yep! Megs really needs to post it...

      Absolutely! The name (meaning "I Cried from the Deep") is both a pun on their singing (most of them are bass/baritones) and a reference to Scripture ("I cried from the deep, and You heard me, Lord," from Psalms). They are just the best.

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)