Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2019

From Many Burdened Hearts... A Prayer Request

Not so long ago, one of my best friends sent me a recording of fifteen decades of the Rosary, in Psalter-style Gregorian chant. Of course, I was delighted - what a rare treasure to find on YouTube, of all places! The recording was beautiful, and I cannot express enough thanks to both my friend and the user who put the video up. But there was a catch. As is a bad habit I have, my eye came upon one of the comments on the video. The comment in question claimed that the Luminous Mysteries are not part of the Rosary and not to be honored as the rest. It also called Vatican II the "Judas Council," and claimed that a concern with sedevacantism was motivated by pride and ignorance, as well as being irrelevant. Of course, everyone knows that reading comments online, accidentally or not, is a bad idea because there are such things as trolls. But here's the catch - the comment in question was made by the maker of the video.
I was very confused when I first read the comment, of course - why would such a seemingly orthodox user almost pointblank deny the Pope's authority, as well as insult other devout Catholic listeners? Well, I scrolled back up to the information on the video, and found similar claims by the author contained within, including, even, a link to an essay claiming that St. Pope John Paul II could have been a heretic.

What a horror. Unfortunately, it's not actually that uncommon, this bizarre occurrence. In fact, it's rather become a trend in some traditional Catholic circles - not most, no, but there are a few where its roots are planted quite firmly. The root in question is a mindset which is mostly quite traditional and orthodox, but has two sometimes mortal flaws. Firstly, the more common and less mortal one, is to assume, in a matter where the Church allows open opinion (such as the death penalty, modest dress, movies, or prayer outside of Mass), that one single opinion is the written, de facto, absolute law. This is just snobbery - it's not pleasant, but it's not apostasy. The second flaw is a more serious one: the tendency to view anything given by the Church (including but not limited to the Pope, the councils, and the bishops) that is anything less than 100% traditional as heretical.

It is a terrible mindset. But why is it so terrible? It is terrible because it rips the Church limb from limb, and divides even orthodox Catholics among themselves in a time when unity is so, so very important, and allegiance to the Church even more so. This refusal to accept anything that is not gleaming with idealism is a refusal to accept the Catholic faith, which is not idealism, but, rather, an attempt to reach the immortal idea, and the immortal Good. A defense of Vatican II and its actual traditionalism, or an argument against the sedevacantist viewpoint is best left for another day - that's not the point.

Unfortunately, it takes some bitter medicine sometimes to get the real point to us - this is definitely the case with me. Call me uncharitable (as I can be), but my first thought, coming back to the YouTube user above, was not "Lord, help his soul, please," but, rather, "Oh dear... Why must you spoil this...?". Thank the Lord for memory... because my second thought was to remember something.


A friend of mine who was in the Tridentine Schola with me back when I lived in Virginia was one of the most devout Catholics I have ever met. He was reserved, kind, well-read, and had a devotion and intelligence quite rare. He was even discerning the monastic life... before something else happened. When more scandal broke out in the Church, including the sex abuses, Pope Francis' editing of the Catechism, and word of a few awry councils, my friend left the Church, determining that the seat of Peter was empty - there was no authority left. As far as I know, he is still a sedevacantist, and I have only seen and talked to him once since he left.

That was probably the only thing that connected me to the misled YouTube user - a friend who, despite all goodness and presence of mind, thought exactly the same way. I don't know to what extent the man on YouTube has fallen from the Church. I cannot judge his soul. I could not even tell you if, at this point, he has changed his mind about the statements he made on the video - I pray that he has. But this connection made me realize something: there is so much sorrow, so much suffering in the Church, from being led away by such views, and also, so much more, from the heretical spirit that inverts so many progressive churches, and gives these people so much doubt about the Rock of St. Peter. It is a terrible burden that the Church has, to bear sin upon its shoulders as Christ did, and it is far too easy to despair because of it.

Please, pray for my friend. Pray for the Youtuber. And pray for all those burdened hearts that have lost their grip on the Rock Christ built on. Because they who could be the life of the Church are struggling to live themselves.

4 comments:

  1. J+M+J
    Indeed, it is a very sad thing! My prayers are with them both....
    It is a sad thing that so many Catholics look down on or despise others. God calls so many, and in so many different ways. Sometimes He calls one in a way that is more direct, and sometimes not. And it is these people, who are in mortal danger of looking down upon others, whose path my be crooked, but nonetheless leads just as fully to God just the same. It's not that one is more called then the other, or that one is disobeying God's will, but simply that they are called in a way we cannot understand, at least fully. And indeed, who are we to say our way is any holier then the path of our neighbor? God alone knows our holiness....
    I've seen first hand how people can put down the pope, and put down their fellow Catholics, and it is indeed very saddening.
    Sure they all have flaws, but what we must always remember is that we have them too! Why must we see a speck in our brothers eye, and not the log in our own? It's really pure pride that produces such opinions, and a very dangerous form of pride it is too. Dangerous because, as many sins are, it's under the disguise of virtue, in this case piety, and the devil uses it to rend the church apart, as you said "limb to limb".
    And it drives me nuts what people say about Vatican II... it's so misunderstood by both sides.
    Sorry for the rant, I'll stop my piece.
    Praying for your friend, the YouTuber, and all the church!

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is... Thank you. The prayers are much appreciated, and I know that they are heard.
      I agree wholeheartedly - it's a sad thing that Catholics of orthodox mind cannot just get along, because the Church already has so many divisions within it. It's a hard lesson to learn, but our choices are to either learn it, or become a torn cause unto the end of time.
      Again, I agree. Thank you so much for the prayers and for your time commenting - it really does mean a lot.

      Delete
  2. This is...such a good post, Belle. So painful, but so important. It's so so *easy* to fall into pride, especially concerning the Faith because it's the most important and beautiful thing. And it's so easy to lose trust. I pray for your friend and the YouTuber...your friend's story in particular breaks my heart.

    This has reminded me that I really, REALLY need to do my research on Vatican II. There's such a tendency in devout circles to look down one's nose at it, to sigh and say, "That's where the trouble began, that silly Vatican II watering down the Faith..." But that's not how it is, at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very true... Thanks - he could use them.

      May I suggest the lecture Vatican II: Rupture or Rapture by Michael Voris? He quite eradicates any guilt from Vatican II, and he reveals the blame with who it really lies - the progressive bishops and theologians, esp. as behind the backs of Paul VI and John Paul II (which, I believe, is the reason behind the tendency to accredit John Paul II with radical ecclesiastical change).

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)