Pages

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Beneath the Willow Tree - A Poem

A little something to cheer you up during the rest of my hiatus, and a taste of my cheerful poetry. ;)
***
A little pond not far away;
A tiny little sea.
And flowers bloom a small ways off,
Beneath a willow tree.
The wind tears not its curtains soft,
Though finest silk they be,
For some love guards that silent place
Beneath the willow tree.
Eyes as dark as raven's plumes
Once there did gaze at me,
Once there returned all my love,
Beneath that willow tree.

Hands as small, as sparrows white -
My greatest joy to see -
Were easily held within mine
Beneath the willow tree.

A little one, my life's delight
For all her days was she,
And nothing touched my heart as much,
Beneath that willow tree.

An angel sent to guide my heart,
As I guided her steps unsteady -
Never will I forget those days
Beneath the willow tree.

Once, alone, though, there she went,
In night, when none could see,
And from whence she did not return;
Beneath the willow tree.

So small a form in darkest night,
A silhouette wand'ring, free...
How could I know that she would stray
Beneath the willow tree?

My heart has grieved for long, long years -
A knife wrenched within me -
My Little One, where have you gone?
Beneath the willow tree.

So little, to gaze all alone
Into waters starry -
To touch those stars, no doubt, she fell
Beneath the willow tree.

A tiny one, to all alone -
No one to hear her glee
That was so fatally cut short
Beneath the willow tree.

Anger, tears - yet in my heart,
I know fault is with me,
For ever showing her that place
Beneath the willow tree.

I cursed it and took up my axe
Within my misery,
Yet I could not destroy her spot
Beneath the willow tree.

Though I am old, my heart still is lorn,
And steps from that small sea,
A part of me lies buried there,
Beneath the willow tree.
And... now I need to go spend the rest of my hiatus sobbing. Bye!

6 comments:

  1. .......BELLE ANNE????

    ......I thought you said this was *cheerful* poetry! And I believed you! And I went into it prepared to be delighted and soothed and edified! (Which the last one I probably was, but, but, but...) I will never trust you again!

    *breaks down sobbing*

    *recovers partially, wipes away tears* That was lovely, though. Lovely meter. Meter's a pet peeve of mine in poetry and I'm always delighted to see it done well. Well done, m'dear! I would say I love it, and I do, but...but...can you love something that crumpled up your heart into little tiny pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently you did not catch my evil pun, which makes me laugh. ;D Hehehehe...
      Yes! Me too! I was so pleased when the ideas popped into my head so - the meter was already perfect (except in one stanza, but I wasn't going to change it because I loved the description it contained that was messing up the meter).
      Haha, it's okay. Trust me, while I do write very, very, VERY pathos-filled poetry, this, I assure you, is the worst one I've written pathos-wise. I have never written as sad of one (I write plenty where people die, but obviously it's sadder when I child dies, right?).

      Delete
  2. Cheerful? . . . Never have I ever felt so betrayed!!! But lovely poem all the same :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwahahahahaha - this is great! I didn't think anyone would be fooled by that evil writer joke, but it turns out I have unwittingly betrayed you all! What fun! *evil Loki-esque smile*
      Haha, thanks. I'll be sure to post more *cheerful* poetry soon... ;)

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful, Belle Anne! And poignant too!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)