Pages

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Evil Writer's Award

Hello! I am drowning in very old tags at this point (some even from the spring), so I decided I would pick up one of the rusty old things - whichever sounded funnest (which frustratingly enough, is not a word. I'm using it anyways) - and get to work. So I will. This one, the Evil Writer's Award, was started a while ago by Miss Kate (who, according to her lovely blog's title, is a lover of dark chocolate. See? - Even her chocolate has to be evil, lol). ;) The rules of the award are these:
1. Give credit to the Evil Overlord and genius, Kate, for creating this award (I believe I've gotten this one).
2. Give a smaller amount of credit to the Evil Writer who tagged you - that being, in my case, Anna of Swords and Quills blog. Thanks, Anna!
3. Tag at least two people... uh... I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that, as all bloggers I even am acquainted with slightly have already been tagged. :P However, since I procrastinated diligently waited so long, I believe that perhaps some of them may be not too opposed to doing the tag again. ;) I hope. :P
Anyways, rules now being known to all, I'll get right to business! :)
How many characters do you typically kill per book? And how many people have you killed in real life, dear? Do you… feel any remorse about this? I’m concerned about you.
Well, let's see...
So, I'd say it averages out to about 1.4 roughly, taking the top number in each (only 1.4? That's wimpy... maybe I'm not such an evil writer...). :P As for the people I may have killed in real life, that is entirely my own affair... ;)
Do you prefer to use weapons of mass destruction like explosions and famine and world war or more personal torture like killing family and friends and pets?
Hmm... both of those are very good options... Not sure... I do have a whole lot of wars in my books - but then, not much mass destruction besides that. On the other hand, I use personal torture (especially emotional/pathos kind) extremely frequently. And I have been known to have whipped/stabbed/clawed by a griffin/knocked out/hacked/chained painfully any or all of my characters (especially my personal pets and favorite ones, oddly enough...). :P
Are you more like Loki, who perpetrates great evil with a creepy grin, or… give me a minute… Darth Vader, who secretly weeps inside his… fake head, whilst destroying the world?
Um, it really depends. Especially on the character and the circumstances. If it's a pet character (especially one who's not used to hardship, like say, for instance, Harry from The Top-Hat Gang), then I will cry my eyes out... and then laugh later... and then cry some more when I re-read it. I have done this a bajillion times. So, I'm kinda more like a psychopath with a conscience (that doesn't sound weird...). :P I laugh, and then break into weeping and vice-versa in an unending pattern because I love my characters, but how can I leave them alone?!


What is the most dastardly crime you have ever committed as a writer?
Ooh, that's a hard one. Let's see. Once, I made a couple who had gone through everything together (including national turmoil and betrayal by one of their best friends) survive an assassination attempt upon them (but the husband was thought to be dead), but due to a spoilers-y turn of events that are extremely relevant, the wife lost her memory and couldn't remember a thing about said husband even existing. Husband was lost, and when he came back, found that wife was alive, but under the power of said betraying friend (because she had lost any memory of his betrayal). Betraying friend finds out husband is alive and out there (husband just barely gets away) - tells him if he ever even hears word from anywhere of husband resurfacing or being alive and around, he'll kill wife. And wife is unaware of any of this. And then... husband is forced to wander aimlessly forever until a couple of questers need his help navigating, and he reluctantly helps them... and their quest leads husband right back to village where his wife and scummy friend are, ironically. I think you can surmise what happens then, unfortunately... :P
But then, there was also the time that I decided to have Errius of The Pain of a Memory whipped (after he was already injured too! I always get indignant about it... until I remember that I did it to him...). Anyways, though, I could probably list a good few more, but the first one took so long I don't think I will at present.
What kind of chocolate do you most like to devour as you burn things? White, milk, semisweet, or dark? Bonus points if you are so evil you find unsweetened cacao palatable!
I like milk-chocolate and semi-sweet best. Can't stand white chocolate for the most part (unless it's in something or it's Lindt, which is so good that it can even make white chocolate delicious). And I do immensely enjoy dark as well, providing it's not too dark.
I was going to do a picture of chocolate... but these looked too delicious. Maybe these can be my evil sustenance. ;)
What is your villainous title? You may not have “Evil Overlord” because that one’s mine.
Haha, maybe "Queen of Deception"? Because I can tell you, I get a kick out of killing characters more than once (their first deaths being deception, of course). I get a great big kick out of bringing characters back (especially ones that are particularly fun to kill). But... that may not be because I'm evil and like to kill them more than once - it may actually be because I always think killing them is a good idea and then I love them so much I back out. :P So "Queen of Deception" would work, but so would "Queen of Non-Merciful Mercy" (considering that most of the time the way or state in which they come back is very physically or emotionally painful/pained).
Which of your characters would actually be a match for you if you were to duke it out one on one?
Um... hehehe... *terrified squeal* Most (if not all) of them would be a match for me. In fact, I would probably die of fright if Feriar (of Alagna) or Leta (of In Greater Hands) ever even got close to me with the intention of fighting. I might say that the only one that might be a match for me is Mina (of Alomina), hehehe. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. Alagna (of the similarly-titled, aforementioned book) would definitely be a match for me (in fact, I think she would beat me), but she's definitely closer to my level. So I'd say Alagna would be my pick... even if I'm losing this wrestling match (although, it would be rather amusing, no doubt, to the outside watcher, especially considering I put in danger and/or killed a lot of Alagna's best friends...). :P
Which character, in all the many books you have undoubtedly written, is most likely to be your Archnemesis?
Um, well, for which one I despise the most - either Duke Roanwall (of Alagna) or the aforementioned betraying friend whose name I will not say for fear of spoilers. But Roanwall wouldn't be my archnemesis - he'd be scared of me. Because he's a ridiculous fop and a coward... which is exactly why I despise him, not because of any evilly clever, dastardly villainy he instigated. I might say the betraying friend, except there is also something vaguely likeable about him for himself (don't ask - I'm weird) if not for his actions. I would say that Captain Orlando Rogan (of The Pain of a Memory) is my archnemesis. I have thrown everything at him, trying to get past him, but to no avail (as of yet). That guy fences off respectability as well as he fences off swords, really. It's ridiculous. I like him, but then, he's just that kind-of villain that encourages despising as much as likeability (like Loki!) - despicable, and yet... somehow fancy-catching (don't ask me how!). He's my only villain that has ever encouraged such an internal struggle between feelings in me. All the others before have had only a trace of likeability or none at all. I suppose that means I'm getting better at writing villains, but Cap. Rogan is very tiresome to try and control.
Do you wear a cape? Face paint? A mask? Special underpants? Or do you hide in plain sight… like Moriarty? Give me details!
Haha, no way! I do not hide in plain sight! If you spot me at all ('cuz I'm a ninja, you know), you will spot me a mile away. I dress like an odd mash-up of the 1950's, the Victorian era, the 1970s, and a Halloween costume. Not to mention I like to wear a cocked detective fedora a lot (at least in the winter) and a trench coat that is too large, and sometimes a red domino mask (haha, that's only at home - I don't do that one in public). ;) I am also found to sometimes be wearing up to four pairs of socks at one time when I am writing (what??? It gets cold here! - besides the fact that socks are inspiring). ;)
How do you react when you have to kill off a character that is dear to you? Do you laugh evilly out loud? Do you chuckle under your breath and quickly glance around for your next victim? Do you go and weep in a corner for a month because you just lost a best friend? Or do you just shrug indifferently?
Well, as I said above, I generally laugh when I think about doing it, and then weep when I think about it more, and then  excitedly jot it down... then weep some more, then laugh some more, and wow! - more weeping. :P I have a very complicated emotional cycle every time I kill off a character, to say the least. :P
If you had to choose a fictional villain (from book, movies, etc.) to sum up your villainous style as an evil writer, who would it be? Why?
I might say that it was like Loki (not the first Thor movie's Loki, though). I am willing enough to help them (sometimes), and can be very friendly, but then every so often (when I'm not being held back by fear of murderous readers) I have to kill one of them or start  a war or something to remind them that I'm the boss (or, at least, that I think I am). And like the adversaries of Loki, they always pull through. One dies, one loses a friend, but they all pull through eventually. So Loki definitely fits (providing that it's not the first movie's Loki, again. He's too evil).
Anyways, that wraps up the questions, and the people to be tagged are:
Hope
And anyone else (even if you've done it already) who likes the tag. :)
And these are the questions:

  • How many characters do you typically kill per book? And how many people have you killed in real life, dear? Do you… feel any remorse about this? I’m concerned about you.
  • Do you prefer to use weapons of mass destruction like explosions and famine and world war or more personal torture like killing family and friends and pets?
  • Are you more like Loki, who perpetrates great evil with a creepy grin, or… give me a minute… Darth Vader, who secretly weeps inside his… fake head, whilst destroying the world?
  • What is the most dastardly crime you have ever committed as a writer?
  • What kind of chocolate do you most like to devour as you burn things? White, milk, semisweet, or dark? Bonus points if you are so evil you find unsweetened cacao palatable!
  • What is your villainous title? You may not have “Evil Overlord” because that one’s mine.
  • Which of your characters would actually be a match for you if you were to duke it out one on one?
  • Which character, in all the many books you have undoubtedly written, is most likely to be your Archnemesis?
  • Do you wear a cape? Face paint? A mask? Special underpants? Or do you hide in plain sight… like Moriarty? Give me details!
  • How do you react when you have to kill off a character that is dear to you? Do you laugh evilly out loud? Do you chuckle under your breath and quickly glance around for your next victim? Do you go and weep in a corner for a month because you just lost a best friend? Or do you just shrug indifferently?
  • If you had to choose a fictional villain (from book, movies, etc.) to sum up your villainous style as an evil writer, who would it be? Why?
  • And now everything's wrapped up. What did you think? :) Are you an Evil Writer? Have you been tagged already? What think you concerning my answers? What about Kate's wicked tag? ;) What about Belle's really terrible villain puns? (they're soooo evil!) ;D 

    9 comments:

    1. Hahaha this tag!! I'm delighted to be tagged again, but I may save it for after I've committed some more dastardly evil writer crimes.

      You had Errius whipped after he'd already been hurt??? BELLE! How dare you lay a finger on my Errius?? Grr.... And I can definitely see Captain Orlando Rogan being a Loki-ish kind of character. Aggravating and bad and ruthless and yet so fascinating/charming/something that you can't help but like him in some way because he'd make such a great good guy. Which....you will end up converting Rogan, won't you, my dear Belle Anne? Pleeeaase?;)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, feel free to (just - don't commit said dastardly evil writer crimes on any of my favorites. Like Walter, Dar, and Ricky - and for Ricky's sake, Michael and Sophia). ;)
        Oh... snap. You're weren't supposed to know about that... You know, I really need to keep my mouth shut about spoilers - I let way too many go unchecked on this blog. :P And - if you want to have more reason to despise Rogan, it was due to Rogan that it happened... spoilers..
        Ugh! Rogan is sooooo frustrating! I want to like him, and make him likeable and good, but he just bats every curveball I throw at him like nothing. That guy really is a helpless villain/pet of mine. First villain of mine who ever was one of my pets (but I would also call him my pet peeve, of the story at least). Um, conversion may be a bit difficult at present... :P

        Delete
    2. Goodness, you are a much eviler writer than I am *mock shudder*

      Definitely agree that Rogan is a good archnemesis.

      Argh! As if Errius wasn't abused enough. Poor boy *pets*

      Awesome tag, Belle!!!

      Catherine
      catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, I read your post and thought I might make a "Motherly Writers Award" instead for people of our types (except, as you noted, I can be very evil!). ;)
        Argh... Rogan... that guy is so tough to deal with... :P
        Hah! That's how you can tell he's one of my favs in the story - he suffers a lot! My favorites always suffer the most (as oddly psychopathic as that sounds). :P You should see Montefore, lol...

        Delete
      2. Oooohhh. I never thought of a Motherly Writers Award....*wheel spins*

        haha, you sound like another Catholic writerly friend of mine (Mary Katherine @ Sarcastic Scribblings). She definitely puts her favorite characters through a lot of suffering.
        I like the Archangel Michael character base for Errius. Not a lot of characters are based off of him, and they should!

        Catherine

        Delete
      3. Haha, then maybe I will make it! ;)
        Ooh, I've heard of her, actually! She's pretty good. :)
        Yeah, I thought so too! It wasn't intentional originally, but then I realized how much he was like Anwynne's guardian angel - and how his loyalty to his country was almost above human. And it dawned on me that he was a lot like a St. Michael type. So that's what he's kept on being. :)

        Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Aww, thanks for the tag!! Loved your answers . . . except for the Errius one . . . :( How dare you, Belle! Haven't you tortured him enough? Poor guy:(

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Haha, don't worry about Errius - if ever anyone was tough, it was he. In fact, he's even kind-of supposed to be a type of St. Michael (and a guardian angel figure in general). He's plenty tough. ;)

        Delete

    For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)