Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Handful of Lenten Traditions From Belle's Corner of the Season

Haha, I know this post is incredibly last-minute, but I did want to post a little more on Lent - just wasn't brilliant enough to find much to say. :P But! - I at least have some things to share, if no wonderful meditation to speak or profound speech to give. So I decided I'd share a few of my own Lenten traditions with you folks for the last few days of Lent there are. :)
The Movies of Lent
One of my family's traditions every Lent is to watch certain movies during the season at some point, the most unbroken one being watching The Passion on Good Friday with whoever is old enough to watch. Another movie, though a more recently-added one, is watching Risen on Holy Saturday or Easter. I also tend to watch The Robe during the Easter season, but I guess that doesn't really count for this post. ;P The main one, however, is watching The Passion, and it gets more fulfilling each time because each year or two at least one more person is old enough to see it for the first time, so the audience gets larger with time. :) This time, it'll be me, my parents, and three(?!) of my siblings.
The Friday Meal
I'm sure all of you probably have your own preferences and traditions as to what meal to do on those Lenten Fridays wherein carnivorousness becomes heinous, but we have one of our own that goes back a couple generations. Mia famiglia (and me, of course) have a tradition of doing grilled cheese and tomato soup... for whatever reason. Maybe 'cuz it's a filling, non-meat meal. Maybe it's 'cuz most of us despise fish and any other seafood. Maybe it's just 'cuz we know how to make it. But, for whatever reason, that's what we do.
Holy Week and Mass
Perhaps we could be a bit more creative with our traditions, but we always like to go to daily Mass during Holy Week as a family at least once. However, as this is probably a fairly common one with all you Lent-lovers out there, I will skip over it. ;)
The Watch of the Hour
Even from my youngest days, I remember my dad always watching the hours on Good Friday for the most Holy of Hours. Every year, whatever us kids were doing, he would come and tell us when it was the time, and we would usually do a Rosary or other prayer of some kind. I used to hate it, because my dad would always interrupt whatever we were doing, but now I look forward to it as a helpful reminder.
Getting in the Mood
My mom, my sisters, and I all are advocates of the veil/mantilla/hat/other awesome head covering at Mass, and Lent is no exception! However, when the priest gets his seasonal Mass vestments, doesn't it make you want to get in the mood too? Well, it did me, so now I (and sometimes the women of mia famiglia join me on this) wear a black mantilla all during Lent instead of my favorite white one - just to get into the look of things during the season of penance. I mean, really, we used to do this back in the old days, why not now? :D
The Torture Device
Ya know, I used to think giving up sweets for Lent was such a wimpy thing to do. And perhaps for me it is. But my dad does it - along with other things - every single year. And this perhaps wouldn't be such a big deal... except for my sister. She has a fascination with baking, and is extraordinarily skilled at it, and she always picks Lenten time to try out those delicious new sweet recipes... just when most people have exempted themselves from sweets. I almost think she does it religiously now, as an unbroken tradition to tease all those poor, pious souls who have given it up. However. I actually love it that she does do it, because now, giving up sweets is a much more grace-garnering penance than it used to be. ;)


What did you think? What are your Lenten traditions? Your family's? Have you done any of these? Would you consider them? Have you ever seen The Robe??? :D

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post, Belle!

    Well, to be honest, my family's Lenten traditions are very hit and miss (we'll do a tradition for a couple of years, then it will disappear). Very annoying.

    For me, I try to work on eliminating a vice by extra prayers and sacrifices. This year, I worked on purity by giving up romance (especially in novels). I made some improvement but I still have some ways to go. I've also tried to do more fasting, since I practice the Friday abstinence year round (according to the old 1962 law).

    I've never watched The Passion or The Robe...though I really should.

    I also change my veil for Lent (and Advent)! I don't have a good black one (yet...I'm working on that), but I do have a really long purple headscarf that I wear the same way that the Blessed Virgin is depicted wearing her veils (straight down on top of the head, no wrapping or anything).

    Great job!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, that kinda tends to happen when there are a lot of collected Lenten traditions and a lot of people to partake in them. This also can happen to my family. :)
      Yep - those are great goals! For the former two, I am doing similar things (though with humility, I am ashamed to admit, and not purity - unfortunately, this particular virtue has not made much progress throughout the many Lents), and I would love it if we would do the old Friday abstinence all year round, but I guess it's kinda hard on mom cooking for all of us (four of us boys below the age of fourteen and two of us teenagers) without meat. However! We do it sometimes. I applaud you for doing it all the time - that's amazing!
      You should! The Passion is amazing and The Robe is some of the best that old movies have to offer.
      Haha, well, purple is also a penance color (though a more overlooked one), so still - nice! :) I tried to change mine for Advent but forgot and wore my white one on the very first Sunday of it. :P

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Belle! My favorite Lent-related tradition is attending the special services for the Holy Triduum. No matter how lax I may have been throughout Lent (and I'm ashamed to admit, I often am), the solemn ceremonies of Holy Thursday always snap me back into the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice tradition - I got to do it for the first time in years this year (the past few I've been sick or was somewhere else). And there's nothing like the Triduum to set ya back on track (believe me, I know how it is when Lent just seems impossible). Have a happy Easter, Megan! :)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)