Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

Suffer Your Characters To Suffer

What would you say your favorite story is? If you're like me, you probably can't pin down just one, but a list. And what do the stories on this list have in common? I can guess at least one thing - for my favorites all have it in common as well. Suffering. The characters and suffering.
It makes a better book out of a bad one
Physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual, all good books have suffering. Does this make a good book? Not necessarily, but it will make a better book. Even if your plot is as holey as Swiss cheese and your setting as overused as the word cliché and your characters as bland as angel food cake without frosting, suffering can at least help. Making your characters suffer will bring more attachment to them from the reader, at least out of empathy, and making high, difficult situations makes a plot more intense and a more enthralling read. Making your characters suffer can even help a boring setting, because it invokes urgency in the reader's mind, making them think that this is a dangerous or very undesirable place and situation (and all of us, the odd creatures we are, enjoy reading about other people being in trouble). Making your characters suffer will add interest in their wellbeing, because any sympathetic human being will at least be mildly interested in their solution to this suffering.
It polishes an already good book
Even if you have a nice, creative setting, good characters, and an intricate plot, you should still incorporate difficulties and strife. If your amazing characters are uncomfortable, it will have twice the empathetic effect as characters who are not amazing. If the reader loves your characters, their heart will ache all the more seeing them suffer, and be all the more invested in it. If your plot is already good, this  - even if it doesn't increase the stakes themselves - makes the stakes seem higher for losing it all. Same with the setting - suffering increases the human element in a story's setting because it is an essential part of humanity and earthly life.
It will increase your creativity
Thinking of new ways to make trouble for your characters that nobody else has used is one of the best exercises an author can do for creativity. A bajillion authors let somebody get shot in the shoulder with an arrow. What about in the middle of Central Park? A bajillion authors let people die in the last stretch of the book. What about early on? Even if the idea isn't necessarily a good one to actually use, your span of new ability for ideas is broadened by having it.
It develops your characters more
What makes each of your characters suffer? In trying to figure out even just this tiny question, you are delving right into your ink-and-paper person's heart. A tiny bit of heartache for a character can mean pages worth of development on them.
But isn't it a bit psychotic?
I've heard a few authors concerned before that making characters suffer can decrease the author's empathy, or make an author become rather obsessed with, or even a bit psychotic and inhuman in their normal life. However, let me dispel these fears. Actually, at least in my case, making my characters suffer has made me far more empathetic. Submerging myself in the darks and lights of other fictional people allowed me to see into the different viewpoints of other real people. In fact, I believe writing has done wonders for my relationships with my siblings and close friends especially, because I can imagine things from their point of view. And even random people, I start to analyze their viewpoints in my mind - it helps to know them better and to respect their actions more. As for being inhuman, many authors tend to give off that vibe, but most of the time it's not because they're authors. It's because a lot of authors are introverts, who also seem to give off that vibe, but in truth are merely people in their own little world. If authors don't pay attention to other people, or seem too quiet, it's merely because they think more about what those other people are saying or doing, not less. And being obsessed with making your characters suffer is a problem I have never come across in all my days of being an author or meeting other authors. A few may celebrate it, but that few are the people who like to pretend they're psychopaths anyways, and so writing was just one of many ways they found to channel that usually comically-meant persona. As far as I've observed, none of us are really, truly obsessed with seeing other people suffer.
Why do we write suffering?
Yes, you may agree with my arguments at this point, but there is the creeping question that I haven't answered yet. Why? Why do we as readers love books with suffering? Why do we as writers tend to write suffering? Why? I think the first reason has to do with what I've mentioned above - suffering is such an integral part of humanity, that it gives us a revelation of our own lives and world to see suffering. We realize how much it reflects our humanity and it plays upon our hearts' attachment to our fellows. To see another suffer reflects our own suffering, and we wish for both to end, but we are interested because it tells us what we bear in this life.
Another reason is the reason for real-life suffering - it is a cross we must bear, but it touches us. In suffering, we grow within ourselves, and in sticking with others through their suffering, the same effect is accomplished through our human empathy. We are perhaps sobered by the fact of suffering, but we also take joy in the fact that it is not all there is to existence. So reading it makes us feel the presence of both joy and sorrow, so deeply written in our being.
The final reason is perhaps the most profound. We, as humans, imitate what we love or admire. In our real suffering we imitate Christ on the cross. In writing suffering, we wish our characters to imitate that same scene. We love to see them as sacrificial, and beautiful, and a profound insight into the greatest things of life. In writing their suffering, we are expressing our desire to be like Christ even in our works. And in having our works imitate Him, we give him glory - and is that not the ultimate goal of any art?
Summary
 If you are writing a book, let your characters suffer. There is nothing better you can do for your book - and it can even be spiritually aiding for you in addition. And, perhaps, it can lead your reader also to an image of what they most want to be - a true human, who suffers with us all.
So there's my light writing-tip post turned all meditational and profound. This happens every time I write posts without pre-decided guidelines... :P But, despite the inconsistent change of mood mid-post, what did you think? Do you agree? Do you have anything to add? Are there any of the aforementioned mock-psychopath writers in my audience? And is anyone else frustrated with how incongruous the aesthetic of this post is???



12 comments:

  1. Yes, the aesthetics are a little odd, but...*shrugs*

    I do agree with a lot of your points, Belle! There are sometimes I wonder when some of these writers write posts about torturing their characters and I wonder for their mental stability.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well... :P I suppose you can't always have glisteningly delightful aesthetics...
      I don't agree with torturing characters just for the sake of it. In fact, I rarely/never torture my characters period. I think there's a difference between making your characters suffer and torturing them. I guess I prefer to use emotional suffering personally, but that may be just me. And... there's my little rant for the day, sorry... :P

      Delete
    2. Oh I absolutely agree with you! There is a huge difference between putting in suffering and torturing a character - though I wonder if people can always tell the difference. I tend to get rather upset about it too.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is a tender issue. I think a lot of it is the mindset with which you're making your character suffer. With the wrong ends in mind, or the wrong means, oftentimes it makes a book depressing rather than reflective.

      Delete
  2. It's tough reading and writing about characters going through suffering. But it makes me think of my gardening. Pruning is one of the best ways to get my grapes and blueberries to produce good fruit. Interesting how a bush has to lose a limb in order to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting metaphor to think about there, Blue. I might have to take a tip from that, actually, if you don't mind me using that... Really an ingenious comparison. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this, Belle! My jaw about dropped at that point: "In having our works imitate Him, we give Him glory--and is that not the goal of any art?" I guess I knew that, but I'd never really...*thought* about it quite that way. Thanks for a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I'm glad you liked it!
      Btw, I have written back to you, but due to snow have been unable to walk down the driveway and mail it as of yet. I will try again tomorrow as it will be warmer. :)

      Delete
    2. No worries! My letter-writing has become quite lax of late. :) Now I'll know to watch the mailbox!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank goodness! I was hoping you hadn't been doing what I was doing, and counting the days (I haven't been very recently, though, so I didn't notice any lag in your letters). :)

      Delete
  4. J+M+J
    Forgive me for randomly commenting on a year plus old post, but I hadn't read it till now.... And had a few embellishments/thoughts on it. (Thought doubtless you already know it all, so forgive me for stating the obvious... it's just too true for me not to comment.)

    Each suffering is a trial, sent by the divine... and in that trial we can either grow or decay. And if it were not for the trials and temptations, we would have no way to grow; no way to show our Love for the Lord. In the same way, a character without a trial or temptation does not deserve the title of "character" at all... because he has no way to develop; no lesson to learn. It's how trials and tribulations are handled that forms a personality and, in the joy despite them and by Sanctifying grace, it's by them we are made Saints, whether we're people of flesh-and-blood or of paper-and-ink.

    And I absolutely loved your point about writing making you empathic... because it really does!! It's a stretch of the imagination at first... but with help it becomes easier and you can help others more completely because of your increased understanding. (Not to mention it makes you a much more competitive arguer because you can imagine the position on the other side and so know how to combat it better.... Which is oh so important, and such an advantage in nowadays cliche society)
    Writing is really such a surreal thing....
    Great post... 3.14159265 Stars out of 2.71828182...!! =)

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!

      Absolutely - I wholeheartedly agree. A character who doesn't suffer doesn't have much personality (which is brought about by our relationship with misfortune).

      Thanks! Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)