Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

An Ode To The Unsung Characters

You know, sometimes it frustrates me how much I want everybody to love the same characters I love, when they can't. Why not? Because a great deal of my beloved story characters are in that land between lands, the Realm Of Unpublished Stories. So many friends, cohorts, and other fellow writers write the most loveable characters, and yet all I can do is give a minimal praise of them because nobody else knows them as I and a few other readers do. So, today, I'm going to change that. I'm going to praise some very memorable characters (and their writers, of course), relentless of whether anybody else understands me. I need to sing of these unknown miracle-people! It is a crime that any ink-and-paper person should ever be unknown if they are of worth, and so I shall attempt to amend that so often-occurring crime. Let's hop to it! :)
Dar Beauregard, of The Prince's Pendant, or Mercury's Wings by Lucy Agnes.
He's the Space Fox. He's a Shakespearian actor (uh, kind-of) who is secretly a rebellion fighter. He's the most daring thief, rebel, pilot, and anything else you can think of in the galaxy. Not to mention, he's incredibly handsome and unspoken for currently. ;) Frankly, if he wasn't a good three-thousand years in the future, I'd have my eye on him. Who doesn't want a guy who can shoot any target, rob any ship, fly any flier, accomplish any mission, and act any play that is humanly possible. I mean, really? Why am I not seeing this guy's name everywhere in big lights?! Now that's an unsung character. Not to mention his bravery and (eventually) virtue. After all, once his head's in the right place, he is one of the sweetest, most loveable young gents in the intergalactic ink-and-paper world. And even before then, he's definitely the most charming man in the story.
Looks: Hazel eyes; lovely brown hair; a face that could soften any heart.
Trademarks: a pistol holster at his side; a blue pilot suit; a cocked stance.
Some particular qualities: His amazing daring and skill; his dashing grin; those eyes (oh, those eyes!); his tendency to consider the odds very minimally and jump right into something super dangerous, coming out perfectly successful.
Something I loved about him: The way he thinks and speaks. Once his head's straight, his thoughts go from slightly-off but amazingly charming to sweet and amazingly charming. Really, with Dar's POV around, I'm surprised that girl characters haven't flocked to the story. And almost everything he says sounds like a hotshot movie line, or else it's heart-meltingly sweet/deep.



Chase Williams, of Dreaming Reality by Anna Deubell.
There are three words I can say about Chase that will all describe him. Sweet. Amazing. Dork. I love, love, love those guys that are so intelligent, but so sweet and occasionally funny or dorky, and they just capture your heart. Such is the type that Chase is. He is that book character that seems unassuming for the first two sentences of meeting him, and then he captures your heart. Piece by piece. Line by line. Paragraph by paragraph. Until, after maybe two chapters of knowing him at the most, you being to wonder what anyone in the whole story's world does without Chase. It's such a beautifully thought-out book, with thrilling action, and practically flawless writing, and Chase is that extra touch that just makes you explode with excitement at the mere thought of the story. Except that he's definitely not extra. Seriously, I super loved the story before I met Chase, but once Chase entered... HEART ATTACK ALERT!!! How did I ever live without him?! He saved my life, along with others... ;) Everything about him was just something that added to my ever-growing love of him. Every time he spoke, I either laughed or cried, or bent on the edge of my seat to see if he spoke again soon (and no, that's seriously not an exaggeration). And my favorite parts in the entire book, I'd guarantee that at least 9 out of 10 of them had Chase or something to do with him. And if I had more time to praise this book, I definitely would. But, as of now, I will have to give all its praise to Mr. Chase Williams.
According to Anna's blog, this is what Chase looks like.
Looks: Blue eyes; brown hair; fairly young.
Trademarks: His devotion to his best friend, Carmen; his wonderful taste in meals (haha, that was a reference to certain scene with brownies, btw, if Anna happens to be reading this and needs a laugh).
Some particular qualities: His tendency to do the right thing without a second thought; his courage; his humility; his sweet dorky side which made me love him from day 1.
Something I loved about him: His way of saying something completely ordinary or expectable, but somehow making me laugh by saying it. Even just saying something like "That hurt", I laughed and laughed and laughed (and also cried, due to the occasion for it). Seriously. Best character in the already brilliant story, people. Why hasn't this been published yet?!
Matthew Hart, of The Orb Of Unlimited Power, by Hope Macpherson.
With Space-thieves and life-savers, you'd think I'd have some kind of ninja-assassin or something of the like next. Well, not exactly. Someone better. Who? Matthew Hart, that's who. Who? Okay, I'll elaborate. A sweet boy, and one of the best friends a girl could ask for, not to mention a very funny and pleasant personage. Another type where you hang on everything he says, even if it's just a remark on the weather. Even just him being surprised and almost spitting his drink out near the beginning of the story was enough to make me like him. ;) *sighs* Some people, once they come into the story, you just sit on the edge of your seat bouncing in glee until their next scene. I think that Mr. Matthew is one of these. :) I haven't even finished reading his story yet, but I know that - if it's anything like what's already come - then readers like me (along with the publishing world) are in for a delight.
Looks: Brown hair; an amazing smile (uh, sorry to Hope if that was an inaccurate description, but he smiles a lot, and I always imagined him really vividly doing so); brown eyes.
Trademarks: His friendship with Alaine Turner (the MC of the story); his brilliant reactions (haha, maybe I'm getting a little too reference-y to story here with character trademarks. Okay, I'll try to behave more). ;)
Some particular qualities: His good humor; his easiness in character.
Something I loved about him: Um, how about like every scene he's been in so far...? Haha, I guess that won't work. :) Okay, then his friendship with Alaine. It's so cute and banter-y, and it reminds me of a friendlier version of the song Anything You Can Do from Annie Get Your Gun. ;)
And these are only a select few of the many, many, many that I would love to mention! It's truly a crime that any characters of such a caliber of genius and lovability should go unpublished!


Oh, let it not be e'er said,
Lest with sayer I take strife,
That a character unpublished is dead,
Til a press brings it to life


And if one among you should doubt
The value of these ones,
Then I say 'I could not live without
These people and their fun!'


Oh, let the skeptics have their say
To prove I am but off,
And at their silly, clos-ed way,
I'll shake my head and scoff.


Those poor souls, they never knew
All readers' greatest lark -
The characters, characters who
would for our joy embark.


And what does make a person penned
Lesser than one sold?
'Naught!', I say and say again,
'Such claims are false and old!'


For no published one gives me pleasure
As those just struggling through
And if you read them, I am sure
That you will love them too.
Thus is my little bit of verse in honor of all those ink-and-paper people out there with only a few to praise their names. Let us drink a toast to them - and to the day when they be published for all skeptic readers to see! :D Votre toast! - to Dar, Chase, Matthew, and all the other unpublished characters just waiting to hear the well-deserved applause of the world! :D
What did you think? Do you agree? Are there any honorable unpublished characters you would like to add to the list? Any to recommend to me? Did you enjoy the little poem for them? Perhaps hast thou now been converted, thou skeptic readers? Have I inspired anybody else to a love of these particular three? Talk to me! :D (Also, can I have a vote perhaps on a subject? See, I'm rather in debate with myself of whether to next introduce my sci-fi contemporary book, In Greater Hands, on the next Meet The Books! post or not. It's been spoken of on this blog before, but that was a long time ago, and to a different audience, so my present audience is still mostly unacquainted with it. What do you think?)

11 comments:

  1. "You know, sometimes it frustrates me how much I want everybody to love the same characters I love, when they can't. Why not? Because a great deal of my beloved story characters are in that land between lands, the Realm Of Unpublished Stories." I know that feeling- loving unpublished characters, or the published but unread characters. It's a frustrating, lonely feeling.

    I'd like to hear more about In Greater Hands. I think I remember reading a snippet from it- the one with the 'unnatural natural disaster', unless my memory fails me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It feels like you're letting the poor ink-and-paper people down, because you're the only one who knows them. :( But, I hope to remedy this in the future by getting people more interested in unpublished works, particularly those I myself have seen and loved. :)
      Haha, thanks! Um... the 'unnatural natural disaster' was actually from the Second Brother (caused by the exiled faerie who caught your interest, as a matter of fact). My NaNoWriMo project (a.k.a. the catastrophe in dark blue ink) was In Greater Hands. It's been edited slightly since then, though, so it's a good bit better and has a bit more development. :)
      I just wanna say thanks for the comment, Blue. It really is great seeing you on here (haha, sometimes I feel like my only audience on here is my writing group friends...). :P

      Delete
    2. Ah, my memory failed me...but what else is new?
      Seems that I need to get acquainted with In Greater Hands, then!

      You're welcome, Belle. It's my pleasure!

      Delete
    3. Haha, that's alright. Speaking of memory failing people, actually I forgot to check out that last post on your blog. I must needs do so. :)

      Delete
  2. Original intro of In Greater Hands is here, btw.
    https://worldsofinkandpaper.blogspot.com/2016/11/beautiful-books-in-greater-hands.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this, Belle! And don't worry, you're not the only one who imagines Matthew smiling a lot and he does have a gorgeous smile:) And I have good news! I've made his part more involved in this draft rather that in the one you read! Which I am extremely happy about, because well, it's Matthew!
    The other "Unsong Characters" sound so awesome! Really curious about them and the story they are from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sorry it took so long to get this post together though - I asked you for Matthew mentioning privilege like what, seven months ago? :P
      Oh, yay! Can't wait until Inklings is back up. I've missed Matthew! :)
      Oh, yes, they are! Particularly Chase. And Dar. Well, I guess I really can't pick a favorite. :P There is one unpublished character that I love more than these three (only ONE among all characters in that land), though. However, I did not mention him because the person who wrote him is not a blogger, and so any readers who wanted to learn more about him could not. His name, as it is, is Francis Antony, but unfortunately, he must wait to be unleashed upon the world. :P

      Delete
  4. Ohhh Belle!! I love this post! And I was so flattered and excited to see Dar listed as one of your "unsung characters!" Ha...I'm rather in love with him myself, as I'm sure you know...

    I loooove Chase and Matthew! ...Although I haven't...read all the...Chase I have access to...*sheepishly hangs head* *looks up grinning again* But he is awesome!

    What a lovely poem! Oh, Belle, you make me want to write more poetry. :)

    And ooh ooh ooh! I would loooove to hear more about In Greater Hands via Meet the Books!

    You've got some great unsung characters of your own, Belle. To name a few, Vic Vance, Bertie, Tsonja (I haven't even read them and here I am praising them!), Montefore, Percy...oh gosh, Percy, I was forgetting how much I loved him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, I told you I was writing it, I'm sure (although... that was months ago...). :P And you know perfectly well of my enamourment with Dar. In fact, tell him that I'm going to have a nice dinner at the Blue Nebula space café tonight and he'd better meet me there or else my poor little heart will break. ;)
      Oh, yes, aren't they wonderful! And Chase! You heathen, Lucy! You must needs read Chase. :)
      Haha, thanks. I actually just wrote that poem on the spot, so it's not one of my better ones (although I did just write possibly my favorite of all my poems not that long ago, called 'The Crusade'. I think I may post it here soon, actually).
      Thank you, Lucy! It seems, then, that In Greater Hands will indeed feature soon. :)
      Aww, thank you! :) I do love my Vance, and Tsonja and Bertie are nice together (did I tell you? - if you haven't read their interview yet, which would reveal it very obviously, Bertie and Tsonja are now officially a couple! Yay!). :D Haha, it's okay. In fact, you might praise them less when you do read them... ;)
      Ach! Percy and Montefore! There is lots more Mina that you must read! In fact... if anything could boost the Count up to being your favorite... *hinting wink* ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I remember that now... ;) Oh, Dar will be there if you want him. He can't refuse a lady anything, unless, of course, it goes against his honor.

      I know! I am a heathen! How can I not have read Chase yet??

      Oh, but I loved that poem! It made me feel so much better about putting time and effort into characters like Dar whose stories I don't intend to try to publish. And I can't wait to read "The Crusade"!

      Yay for In Greater Hands!

      And oh yes! I did read the interview and they were ADORABLE. I absolutely love them together!

      More Mina! Yay!!! I doubt not I will fall even more deeply in love with the Count...

      Delete
    3. Oh, yay! I can't wait. :) I hope I can convince him to take me dancing... ;)
      What? You don't intend to ever publish Dar? That's okay. :) I mean, I would love for my things to be published, but unless opportunity knocks I won't be upset if none of them are ever published (well... I might be a little upset if my musical and operas are never published, but that's the musician in me speaking more than the writer). Oh, I think you'll like 'The Crusade'. It was originally about the Crusades, but turned into an analogy of spiritual warfare compared to the crusades. :)
      Oh, yay! I wondered if you had gotten that yet. :) My word, but I had to try so HARD to make that boy behave! Seriously, when he's feeling romantic, he really is nigh uncontrollable. :P
      Aww, it's so sweet that you react like that. :) I really get a kick out of just the prospect of somebody being willing to read it. :) And I myself, I believe, and becoming slightly jealous of any lady that holds the Count's favor, haha. ;)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)