Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

An Apologia for Beauty and the Beast, Part One: Introduction

This year, I have the pleasure of being in a splendid production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. For the rare person who has not heard of it, it's the stage adaption of the 1994(?) cartoon movie by the same name, and a musical of fair renown. It is also more than that - as a Disney movie of that company's Renaissance, it tends to skate on the edge between the commendable and the not-so-commendable Disney movies as far as virtue goes. In fact, there is rather a good bit of controversy around it. Why? Well, for lots of reasons, which I plan to expound upon.

                            Related image

Because of the play, perhaps, I've been doing a lot of thinking about Beauty and the Beast, and, of course, the thin ice that goes with it. As I was going to have to spend a lot of time with it, I supposed I would have to reason out my own thoughts on it. But, you know, there's really much more to the story than meets the eye, as I found out. And I believe it deserves a second chance. Agree? Disagree? Well, either way, I hope to provide my apologia here for the story, coming to my conclusion above through examination of the singular story, particularly from a Catholic and generally Christian perspective.
If you're a Beauty and the Beast fan (or perhaps an enemy thereof), the discussion may interest you; I hope it does. If you're not, I offer my apologies for the blog space and time taken up over the next few months on the topic. But in however many installments it takes, I'm determined to clear the name of this defamed fable, so hold tight...

Some things I hope to cover will be the character of Belle and the villagers, the traditionality/progressiveness of the story, the views on marriage and sexuality contained within, the story's morals and message, the original fairy-tale, movie and play, the artistic aspect, writing, accuracy and bias, and virtue (or lack thereof) of many of the other characters. If you hold (or have heard of) any other bones to pick with the story, just shoot 'em at me - I'll do my best to cover them. If they wreck my conclusion, all I can do, once more, is apologize for the wasted time, I suppose, but I do want to communicate this one point by my efforts: I think the story deserves a second look, and has good in it. If you disagree or, even, when all is through, disbelieve my arguments or conclusion, then that's fine, but I would like to spend some thought on a topic that's very often dismissed. Hopefully you can be patient with me while I do!

6 comments:

  1. Dear me I'm looking forward to this!!! I'm sure it shall be quite the delightful series.

    But oh dear, the Disney Renaissance is not my term at all...I merely have heard the term and was conjecturing as to what it might mean, without bothering to actually look up the definition. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! I am particularly eager for your input, as I don't honestly remember which camp you were in on the subject.

      Oh... oops. Well, haha, I'll fix that.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like it'll be interesting. I'm especially looking forward to what you have to say about the original and the stage play.
    The local Homeschooler theatre group will be preforming Beauty and the Beast this upcoming year-- those kids always put on a smashing show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will do my best not to disappoint!
      Sweet - mine is also a homeschool theatre group. We homeschoolers can really tear it up...! Hope their show goes splendidly!

      Delete
  3. J+M+J
    ¡Hurra! I can't wait...!
    I too have done some major thinking on this play, and I have come to the opinion that it has some beauty that is actually quite profound, hidden though it be.... (At least so far as the play goes, as to the movie I can't say anything as I make no claim to know it) So I look forward to seeing your statements on it!

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am of the same opinion, though I definitely don't think it's dismissable either way. Which is the reason for these posts, I suppose!
      Thanks! I'll do my best!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)