Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

10 Terrific Tropes (That Are In Serious Need Of Revival!)

A while ago, I posted another list of ten tropes, but that one listing tropes that were either commonplace, cliche, unrealistic, or just plain bad writing in general (a phrase which here means 'all of the above,' to paraphrase Lemony Snicket). But, of course, nobody likes a dark cloud. Not in writing advice, and not anywhere else! Especially with how easy it is to despair nowadays with how many things, even culturally, and in writing specifically, are at a low. So I'm going to offer a constructive opinion as well on the matter - I'm going to share some of my favorite tropes that I haven't seen in a while as my afore-promised part the second. Some of them are related to the clichés, and some are quite their own matter, but hopefully you'll see some that you recognize. (There is one thing I must note first, though: with the first post, I had a factual guide as to which of the tropes to put on there - I simply put those that were undeniably, technically bad writing - but with these, there are far too many tropes that are technically good writing out there, so most of these are chosen by my own opinion; just tropes that I personally enjoy that do not have serious writing flaws and are unfortunately uncommon now. Just so no one feels bossed around by my - well-meant, I assure you - writing advice.)
Terrific Trope #10 - The Brothers
My goodness, but this has to be one of my favorite things to see in a book or movie - brothers (or brother-figures) that are just friends, amazing friends, but go through tough times and have to - despite this original friendship - pit against one another, ending back in friendship. Even if they don't start out friends, too, that's also pretty interesting. It makes for a brilliant conflict, I can tell you, and it serves for character development, and a creative twist on a story (as well as solving the age-old 'how to involve siblings of the MC' problem in novels). I put it at the bottom of the list merely because it's slightly less uncommon, though still far too uncommon. I'm not saying that everybody should do it (after all, that's what makes a trope commonplace), but if it's useful to the story, go ahead and use it, because there are plenty of readers who like it! I've talked to plenty of other readers (and writers) who feel quite the same about the trope, and want to see it get bigger. Some good examples are some of the Thor movies, the movie, In Old Chicago, and the book Enemy Brothers (which... I have long wanted to read due to this, but haven't been able to get my hands on for more than an hour).
Terrific Trope #9 - The Hidden Thorn
Everybody loves a character who suffers. But what about one who doesn't rub it in people's faces, doesn't go crazy/evil/outwardly damaged because of, and doesn't even mention it themselves? When all the suffering of a character is kept from you until a time when nobody can do anything about it, readers' hearts bleed all the more for the character. The character who suffers and still stays steady (at least on the outside) is something rarely seen now! A character who suffers silently is not only a good role model, but an instant favorite for readers who like conflict. Good examples of this are Percy Blakeny from The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Rogue from the old X-Men cartoon.
Terrific Trope #8 - Pa and Ma
Parents who not only have character, but have likable character are invaluable in fiction nowadays. Parents and parent-figures so often get jipped nowadays, being only reserved for the sentimental and the sappiest films wherein those character still at least start out in the wrong. How many parents do you know who are actually as stupid, malicious, or just strange as the ones commonly depicted on television? Some good examples of this trope are (as much I personally don't like him for other reasons) Mo Folchart from Inkheart (the books), Ma and Pa Ingalls from the Little House on the Prairie series (for whom this post is named), and King Gris from Medallion.
Terrific Trope #7 - Symbolism
I only didn't put this one as #1 because this is not a particular trope, per se, but rather a general aspect of writing. It seems like symbolism, allegory, and metaphor are so neglected in fiction nowadays, being reserved only to tell the shallow-most political and ideological messages. The last mainstream mention of symbolism in a story I heard of was the homosexual agenda thinly veiled within Frozen and Zootopia. Is that what symbolism's come to? Good symbolic books are The Lord of the Rings (obviously) and just about anything else by Tolkien, mostly, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and John C. Wright's sci-fi short stories.

Terrific Trope #6 - The Villain From Below
Again, this has to do a lot with allegory and metaphor. So few villains nowadays are actually respectable or scary - mostly they're sympathetic or rather pathetic now. If they're scary at all, it's only because of creepy makeup in their screen representation, their creepy hideout, or their gory habits. What about villains that actually scare the heck out of you? Villains that represent (or even are) something deeper than some creep in a costume or a robo-suit... Those are the villains that scare you the most, because those are the ones that are real. Some very good examples are Dracula, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and, of course, the Silmarillion (actually, I hesitate to say it merely because of some other personal bones I have to pick with the villain, but Davy Jones from the PotC movies has some of these qualities, for sure).
Terrific Trope #5 - The Friends
Unfortunately, I must confess, I too am guilty of neglecting this trope. When a guy and girl are best friends in a story and don't end up together, it's so refreshing from the constant romance bombardment of today's culture (and I am by no means anti-romance!). It's not only refreshing, but realistic. Opposite genders can be friends, after all, without being in an erotic relationship. And writing should, at least to a certain extent, reflect reality. To simply end all male-female character relationships in some sort-of awkward romance is just a tad laughable. It's true, however, that, just because such friendships do realistically go both ways, this trope should be exercised with moderation, and friend-to-romance character relationships shouldn't be discouraged either. Some good examples are Beorn the Proud, Nya and Cole (after the sixth season!) in Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, and Dracula.
Terrific Trope #4 - Traditional Gender Roles
I'm quite positive that all of you have heard me rant about traditional gender roles at some point or other. They're the foundation of inter-gender relations! Enough said. Some good examples are Pride and Prejudice (and most Jane Austen novels, for that matter), and most old movies before the 1950's.
Terrific Trope #3 - The Artsy One
Imagine some of the most famous and long-beloved characters in fiction. Most of them have some sort-of quirks, right? And the ones who all seem to have the most distinction of character are the ones who have some sort-of art or task that they devote themselves to passionately. Think of Sherlock Holmes with both his logic and his violin. Think of Zorro with his fencing. Or think of Jo March and her writing. Having your characters care about something deeply that isn't necessarily a part of the plot gives them more personality and makes them more of a relatable person than just words on a page or an actor in a movie. Besides the ones I already mentioned, some good examples are Hercule Poirot from his self-titled mysteries, Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit and LotR, and Flambeaux from the Father Brown Mysteries.
Terrific Trope #2 - The Wit
Don't you just love it when you read a book and there's one character who always has something to say for every situation? The one who makes you look up from the book and laugh out loud when you realize what they just said? I don't know about you, but I always love those characters whenever they're around. They're not only entertaining, but they're intelligent, and often are as much help to the main characters as they are comic relief. Two birds with one stone - that's good writing. Some good examples are Gambit from the old X-Men cartoon and Pyle's Robin Hood.
Terrific Trope #1 - The Conversion
I just love it when characters reform and redeem themselves, don't you? But isn't it even more satisfying when they convert right to the top? There are so few stories now that center around religious conversion, but it's such a beautiful and touching thing! So many people who are converts have told me how amazing the process was, and how much it took to make the decision. If those doesn't sound like qualities that make up a story, I don't know what does! It really is such a wonderful and real topic, I don't know why it's so neglected. Honestly, it's so rare now, I can't even think of a good example.

Well, that's all for now, folks. What did you think? How do you like these tropes? Can you forgive me for taking so long with this post? Have you any more tropes to add to the list?

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I love these so, Belle! Especially brothers--that trope is the reason the Thors are my favorite Marvel movies, and I've been wanting to do a post on the trope for awhile, and Enemy Brothers yessss! (So tragic you can't get your hands on that dear book, I know you'd love it.)

    And also the hidden thorn!! That is such a great one! I love it when it's done well, but it's so seldom done at all that...I hadn't even thought about it...*eyes grow wide* I'm gonna have to remember this post for my next story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the brothers need brought back so much! (*sobs* Yes... un tragedia...)

      Me too! It really is in need of a return. Haha, I'll look forward to that, then.

      Delete
  2. I love these! I've done quite a few of them myself. I did the brothers trope, except they were cousins, in my A SERIES OF THOUGHTS book #4. And pretty much all my books have allegory and conversions of some sort. And a wit. And even the "just friends" one ;) I too love stories with less romance. Because less is more ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, cool! Bravo to you, then! All of those sound good!
      (I don't always agree, concerning romance, but I think that there should be romance or none at all - and two people who are just friends are just too neglected a trope.)

      Delete
  3. Yes! Especially to #9 and #2, yes!

    I remember reading your last tropes post and thinking about ways to turn the tropes on their heads, or at least make some good out of them. I think #1 from this list could work with #1 of the last list. A conversion out of paganism/atheism/etc. is good, yes, but I also love a conversion out of nominalism or corrupted religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! We need more witty and selfless characters!

      I considered doing that, but I figured it would just end up with me complaining about the bad tropes some more, so I decided not to in the end. But, yes, #1 would definitely work. We do definitely need more conversion stories!

      Delete
  4. Alll the tropes in this post are wonderful!!!

    I love sibling tropes - brother/sister relationships are my favorite though....
    We do need more brother/brother relationships - especially good ones. Manly men are a very much needed trope too....

    Hidden thorns make me cry! I want to hug them all....

    UGH YES MORE GOOD SUPPORTIVE PARENTS PWEASE. So many role models of the bad parents exist and not enough of the good ones. Imitation of a good example is the best way to spread it!

    This whole culture is so shallow that deep meanings mean nothing now. We need to teach others how to swim it seems....

    Many authors shy away from the maniacial villian and more into the antagonist direction because it reflects a) the diminishing belief in Satan and b) heros seem to be more affected by humanized villians.

    Oh yes, much more traditional gender roles! Art is making a comeback now - I know of several WIPs that feature artsy characters :0

    I think a lot of writers shy away from the conversion story because of the fear of being very preachy. They are definitely meant for a specific audience. I have one conversion story WIP, which is on the back burner until I can make it work without making it super awkward or preachy...

    Wonderful post, Belle!!

    Catherine <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, si certissimo! I love brothers and sisters!
      Definitely. Masculinity is so neglected now!

      That's for sure - no characters make you cry like ones with hidden thorns.

      It appears I must agree wholeheartedly yet again! We need more real parent characters!

      Exactly. Where are the fish when the sea is but a puddle?

      That's true. And I can actually understand that - it's not a trope that should be overdone. However. It should also not be underdone, which is what most writers tend to do now.

      Oh, really? What books?

      I can definitely see that. It's hard to accomplish, especially when you haven't lived it. I think the thing is just - as with any art - to absorb other good examples, to get information from real experiences, and to always think of things with the reader's point of view in mind.

      Thanks, Catherine!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)