Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Learning to Love Cowboys, or To Be a Hero

[A Note: To those who enjoy cowboy movies well, or looked at this post merely because it's on the link-up, you may be surprised at my rather harsh initial opinions on Westerns. For my opinions, I cannot lie that they are strongly felt, but for my language on them, I apologize. As it is generally my custom to warn readers when I feel there is something unexpected contained in a post, let this be a warning now, and an assurance that the post is meant in good humor. All opinions expressed are my own.]
If I am the only one here who, at the title above, thinks of a certain song from the cartoon The Princess and the Pauper, then this is indeed a sad day. However, I am not here to talk about how much I love old Barbie movies - old movies, yes, but of a different sort. As it is, it is currently Legends of Western Cinema Week over at Hamlette's Soliloquy  (thank Megan Chappie for this post, who alerted me of the goings on by her own lovely post here). And I am not a big Western person; in fact, I usually hate Westerns (or did, at least). I disliked John Wayne and Burt Lancaster, could not stand Western aesthetics or setting (usually), and generally had no enthusiasm for cowboys... except in a few specific cases - the cases that transcended the title of "cowboy" or "non-cowboy." And those cases are why I felt I had to get in on this.
The first Western I ever watched and enjoyed was Gary Cooper's High Noon (1952), and I was surprised. Even though Coops has long been my favorite actor, he certainly doesn't have a perfect score with me for the sake of that. But the fact is, one aspect of the movie transcended both Coops and my personal tastes - the heroism. If there was one thing that stuck with me through the whole movie, it was the sheer heroism of its hero, Marshal Kane (Gary Cooper's character).

The movie took a setting of three long-unseen roustabouts coming back to the town that sent them to prison with the motivation of revenge, particularly on Kane, who has just resigned from his long reign as sheriff there. There's a hitch, though. As much as Kane would like to go away peacefully with his new wife and forget about those three outlaws (his wife, a Quaker, requested his resignation from the gunslinging duties), the new marshal hasn't arrived yet. That would leave the town unprotected - completely unprotected. As it is, those three are incredibly dangerous, incredibly good shots, incredibly angry, and their leader is incredibly nuts. They would fill the town with bullet holes without a second thought, even just passing through.  Kane isn't going to let that happen.
At first, Kane tries to get other men to aid him in the fight - after all, the three won't give up easily, nor be beaten easily. And every single man in the town refuses to help him because they're scared, or they dislike him, or - in the case of Kane's deputy - because Kane can't give them anything in return. So, it seems, Kane will have to stay himself and battle it out alone. His wife, Quaker that she is, cannot allow this. She threatens that he will either leave this town to its own defenses, or else she will leave him right then and there - she won't have any husband of hers gunslinging or endangering his life before their honeymoon. What else could Kane do but refuse, though? The town needs protecting.

The three have a particular grudge against Kane. If any one of them ever saw him, he'd probably be dead in less than a minute. By himself, he'll likely die defending the town anyways. And yet... he won't leave. The town needs protecting, and even though he risks losing his wife, his freedom, his friends, and his life, he stays - why? Kane stays for no other reason than it's the right thing to do. All of the townspeople have snubbed him, left him on his own. A few have gone so far as to curse or wish death by the three upon him. Obviously they are no friends of his. And he's not staying out of guilt - he rightly and justly put the three in prison in the first place, and rightly and justly had the right to leave and no longer any obligations of the sheriff's office. But he stays only because he thinks any righteous man would do the same. If he gets out of the situation, he would have nothing - he'd be alone in the world, without much money, no home, and no wife. If he dies in the process, he'll have gained nothing - the town will still be threatened, he'll have gained no honor in anyone's eyes, and it won't change the minds of the three. But it's just the right thing to do.
This character embodies everything I love about cowboy movies. He's man enough that nothing matters except the right and wrong; there is no gray in the truth. Everything I hated about cowboy movies, I realized then and there, was summed up in what Marshal Kane wasn't - thinking of John Wayne's often rude characters, or Burt Lancaster's ulteriorly motivated, double-dealing hotshots always made me uninspired by the movies. But here was a hero who was not like that - everything he did, he did openly, everything he believed, he said, and everything he did, he did for no other reason at all than he believed it was right. That was why I hated cowboy movies - because I didn't realize that there was more than one facet of them. I thought all the cowboys were John Waynes and Burt Lancasters, and there were just a bunch of dust-covered, selfish, gunslinging drinkers who didn't care about much. But, as in many cases, when you're proven wrong once, you are soon after proven wrong again.

The next cowboy movie I really fell in love with was Along Came Jones (1945). I'm ashamed to say, that stubborn as I am, I did not pick up this other cowboy movie for the reason of my having been proven wrong about them, but rather because, once more, ole Coops was in it. (How much thanks I owe to Gary Cooper for being in cowboy movies!) This time, I enjoyed it mostly because it was Cooper, Young, and Duryea's splendid acting, and because it made fun of cowboy movies in general, being slightly on the comedic side. But afterwards, it struck me yet again. The main character in Along Came Jones, Melody Jones, is a humble sort-of fellow, and, like Marshal Kane, lands himself in trouble when he is not only allowed but encouraged to keep out of it and mind his own business. And for what reason? Exactly like Marshal Kane, once more, just because there's something more about than his own hide. Jones stays around against the urging of his best friend and his ladylove merely because he suspects that she is in some kind of trouble and needs help - not even because she's being shot at or anything, but just because she's in enough trouble to lie and cheat. And, ever humble, he forgives her every little lie she tells to help herself out, even though he sees through every one. In this, Jones actually made rather a Christ-figure out of the dusty old cowpoke (which is material for another post entirely).
Others among Coop's reportoire came later on to prove me wrong some more: They Came to Cordura (1959), with its repentant and striving protagonist had a theme outwardly showing humanity's sinfulness, revealing the inward beauty of the things that human beings must strive for; Man of the West (1958) had a hero that saved the heroine without even the motivation of being able to have her - he was tied down, and, unlike many married figures in romance movies, returned to his wife without anything to regret by the end of it; Vera Cruz (1954) had a hero who despised even the thought of lying, and ended up facing against and even shooting one of his only friends in the world merely for the sake of preventing lies and the deaths those lies would cause; The Cowboy and the Lady (1938) featured a man who so loved goodness that he would give everything he had just to make someone he thought was a good and struggling woman his wife.

Finally, I supposed I'd give up my stubbornness - I like cowboy movies now. Don't get me wrong - I still cannot stand the rude and nihilistic John Wayne, nor the amoral and whiny Burt Lancaster, nor a lot of similar cowboy heroes. But Gary Cooper's heroes showed me that that's not what cowboy movies are about - the other side is the side of the real heroes, the men who risk everything, and often lose everything, just to do what they believe is right. Perhaps Coops isn't the only good cowboy out there. Now, I'll watch those cowboy movies I've avoided for so long. In fact, I think I'll watch them with a vigor, knowing that they could prove me wrong yet again.
What do you think? Do you enjoy cowboy movies? What are some of your favorites? Have you ever seen High Noon? Is there a cowboy hero you like best?

22 comments:

  1. High Noon is a revered classic that touches many people, and I'm glad to see it touched you. I enjoy Along Came Jones very much, even more because Gary Cooper produced as well as starred. He was obviously very clear-eyed about his on screen image.

    A cowboy hero I like best? I like the characters played by Joel McCrea, he is always striving to do the right thing. In Stars in My Crown he plays a preacher with a wife and nephew/adopted son. It is one of my favourite movies.

    I also like the characters portrayed by Randolph Scott. In many of his films he is hard-bitten and seeking vengence, which never gives satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - and I'm glad as well!
      Really? I didn't know Coops had produced it as well - that is quite impressive. And, yes, I believe Gary Cooper had the right idea when it came to character portrayal.

      Hmm, I don't think I've heard of him. I shall definitely look him up, though, because I'm all for cowboys who can do the right thing. And I'll definitely have to look up that movie.

      I didn't know Randolph Scott ever played cowboys (apparently this is a day of discoveries). I've seen him in comedy and loved him, though (particularly in Cary Grant's My Favorite Wife). It would be a bit hard to see him as a cowboy Count of Monte Cristo, though, as opposed to his usual happy-go-lucky jock.


      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed watching High Noon (I think it was last year?), along with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. One of my brothers was watching a bunch of old westerns at the time, but I only joined in for a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I've heard of the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, but I haven't seen it yet. It'll have to be added to my list of new cowboy movies to try.

      Delete
  3. J+M+J
    I must say... this was probably one of the last things I expected to see on here.... But twas enjoyable nonetheless!
    Mi Padre got High Noon a couple years back, though I didn't appreciate it too much at the time. But we watched it again a couple months ago and I really enjoyed it then.
    Magnificent Seven is a good one to be sure, and same with High Noon. As to others? Hmmm... well if you mean Westerns in general, whether good or not, I've also watched Big Jake and The Three Godfathers, the latter of which was better (I think) though not necessarily outstanding (And both of which are John Wayne, so I wouldn't commend them to you). Other then that I can't really think of any others... again, the limited library problem....
    So in all, though Magnificent Seven is a favorite due to appeal (and soundtrack...), I think very highly of High Noon as well due to symbolic references and such.

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, same here - it started out as a post acclaiming Gary Cooper as the only good cowboy, and then I realized that I was just being stubborn and not coming to an obvious conclusion that cowboy movies aren't as a whole bad.
      Yes, I need to watch Magnificent Seven...
      Haha, no, ugh, I don't like John Wayne. He's good in the Quiet Man, but his cowboy characters are rather unlikeable.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting, thank you for sharing! The 1929 Virginian with Gary Cooper is one of my absolutely favorite westerns. <333 And I really think you should give the 1939 Stagecoach a try sometime. (Also Angel and the Badman.) They're early John Wayne's and he really plays them with a thoughtful, manly tenderness, so you might find them very interesting. I wrote about all of them this week and (I won't fill up your comment section with links ;)), but you can find all my posts in the links widget.

    Thank you for joining the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look that up! Another Western with Coops sounds wonderful!
      Alrighty, will do, then. Like I said, once proven wrong, easily proven wrong again. :)

      Delete
  5. I love cowboy movies, and Along Came Jones makes me laugh a great deal. I haven't seen High Noon in a lot of years, so I have it on my to-watch-again pile so I can see what I think of it now. I loved it as a teen, then got thoroughly disgusted by its portrayal of ordinary people in my twenties, and I'd like to see what I think of it now.

    I'm really saddened by your insistent put-downs of John Wayne and Burt Lancaster, however. And rather flummoxed by them. But, as we're not actually friends, I shall shrug my shoulders and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely watch it again. It was rather harsh in the portrayal of the townspeople, yes, but I believe that that particular aspect is pardonable in that their intent was to illustrate the overarching theme of virtue just for the sake of virtue, even when virtue is frowned upon.

      Well, accept my apologies on that front - they are actors not to my taste, and I'm sure that they have their own good movies. On John Wayne's part, I actually liked him a good deal in the only non-cowboy movie I've seen of his, The Quiet Man.

      Delete
    2. I own a copy of High Noon, so I'll try it again at some point. I remember reading that it can be viewed as an allegory of the US's involvement in the Cold War, and I'd like to see if that was so.

      Everyone does have the right to their own taste, of course, and everyone's tastes will be unique. But I'm really curious as to what movies you saw that made you think of John Wayne as "nihilistic" and "rude" and "ulteriorly motivated." Burt Lancaster does tend to portray hotshots, and I can think of a few movies where he played less-than-savory characters, often charmingly, but your views on John Wayne are utterly baffling to me. And that makes me very, very curious indeed.

      Delete
    3. Hmm, interesting. I'll have to watch it again as well, it seems, because I've never thought of it in that light.

      I must admit that most John Wayne movies I've seen I haven't re-watched for years, as they were mostly visited as a child. The main ones I remember were How the West Was Won and Donavan's Reef, but I remember little of the latter other than disliking how rude John Wayne's character was. Saying it out loud, honestly, I could probably use a refresher on him, as great parts of my opinions of his character are not really replenished by good memory of context. Though the "ulteriorly motivated" part was in reference to Burt Lancaster specifically, whom I have had much more recent and much more distasteful experiences with.

      Delete
    4. Haha! Okay, I can see that if the only John Wayne movie you really have memories of is Donavan's Reef, and you judged him based on it, you could decide he's rude. That, after all, is a huge part of his character's arc in that film -- learning to care for others and not push his weight around all the time. The same would be true if the only James Stewart movie you saw was After the Thin Man -- if you judged him on that, you would assume he always plays craven murderers. Or if the only movie you ever saw Gary Cooper in was Ball of Fire, and you judged him on that alone, you would think he always played hapless nerds.

      So, yes, take the advice of several people here who have mentioned some John Wayne westerns that are far more typical of his acting and role choices. Maybe also revisit the dictionary, where you'll discover that 'nihilistic' means "rejecting all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless" -- the exact opposite of every role I've ever seen John Wayne play (and, having been a fan of his for 29 years and watched more than 80 of his films, I do feel confident in saying that.) In fact, John Wayne insisted on playing characters with a firm moral core, and is famous for saying, "A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by." He was, in private life and in the characters he portrayed, about as far from nihilistic as you could come. In fact, in real life, he is generally described as having been Godfearing, quiet, intelligent, kind, thoughtful, generous, and caring. He was a voracious reader, a skilled chess player, an affectionate father, and a dedicated worker.

      I'm sorry I misunderstood your meaning about "ulteriorly motivated." You said thinking of John Wayne's often rude or ulteriorly motivated characters, so if you actually meant Burt Lancaster there, you might consider rewording that for clarity.

      Finally, a word to the wise: next time you join a blogathon or blog party, it would be a good idea to refrain from insulting and denigrating the very genre, filmmaker, or other subject of said blogathon or blog party, as that's considered bad manners. I can see you're young and relatively new to blogging, and I applaud you for being willing to voice your opinions, try new movie genres, and share your thoughts with an audience, so consider that a bit of friendly advice ;-)

      Delete
    5. Haha, very true. Although I must say that in Gary Cooper's case, it's not too far off.

      A lot of people with similar tastes to mine also tend to say the same thing about John Wayne, so I've just never felt that there was much more to check out. I know that he was a fairly formidable character in real life, of course, but his characters on the screen just seemed like they didn't believe in much. I shall certainly try him again, though, if it shall please the populace of his fans whom I have perhaps cheated. :)

      Oh, dear me, yes. I shall fix that, apologies.

      I am sorry - I did not mean to offend. And if I have done so, consider this an apology. The post was meant to convey the conclusion I have come to that cowboy movies really are worth a try, not the opposite, as well as to convince some friends of similar opinion to give them a chance.
      Thank you for the advice, and thank you once more for stopping by!

      Delete
    6. Apology accepted ;-) I truly am glad you've discovered you can enjoy westerns!

      Delete
  6. Haaaaaaa it makes me so happy you're learning to love Westerns! What kind of American would you be if you didn't give 'em a fighting chance, I would like to know? ;)

    And okay. I really, really need to see High Noon now. (Stttiiill haven't seen a Gary Cooper...)

    Recommendations-wise...obviously The Magnificent Seven is a must-see. :) We recently watched Big Country, and I enjoyed it because Gregory Peck was the hero and it was super interesting seeing Chuck Connors as a slimy bad guy, but there was some content *cough, cough* so it's not way high on my list. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, as it stars John Wayne and...Jimmy Stewart! And as far as TV shows go, I'm extremely fond of Laramie, starring John Smith and *fangirly sigh* Robert Fuller.

    Beautiful, beautiful post, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... an American who didn't like Westerns... But, yes, I agree - it is best to at least give them a try.

      Yes, you do! (And, ach! How shameful! You must needs go watch some Coops!)

      Si, certo - it's already on the list. :) Yes, I've seen parts of Big Country, but, I'm ashamed, never watched the whole merely because it was a cowboy movie (I need to try it now). And I am definitely looking up The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I'm no John Wayne fan, but I love me some Jimmy Stewart. Ach, I looked up Laramie and could find it available nowhere, I'm afraid...

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. *sobs* It's true, unfortunately--Laramie is available nowhere!! *collapses into a puddle of sobs, wails, and sniffles*

      I'm debating whether it's worth twenty bucks a season on Amazon.

      It probably is. But I'm a cheapskate.

      Delete
    3. 'Tis sad indeed...

      Haha... eh... so am I.

      Delete
  7. I don't like most westerns .. but then I haven't seen these. And I've seen a lot of John Wayne and I must say, I'm always glad when he dies ;p lol. I say that in all goodness. I just don't like him that much either. But my brothers and dad love him, so I guess he's not that bad ;p

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was *exactly* how I felt. But, like I said, cowboy movies can really be so much better than they seem - it just takes finding the cowboys you like.

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)