Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Life Updates

     Well, in all this time, it is a logical assumption that I have been doing things. (Or, at least, if I haven't been doing things, that I've successfully wasted a whole year.) 



Life in General

    To start, as I mentioned in my last post, my family moved this summer. They are now living down South, and I still abide in the lands of the North. I'm in a music school at present for a dual degree in Music Performance and Music Education (my primary instruments are voice and piano). I got another new sibling this past summer, and he's very cute and very fat. Pressured by location, I am back to the Novus Ordo grind and in the choir. I live with my best friend and writing confidante, and we have gotten a lot of nonsense and very little writing done thus far with this arrangement. On the side, I teach music, work a pretty effortless desk job, and help direct a high school musical theater group. Those are really the biggest things that are going on at the moment. 



Writing

    As far as writing goes, I was somewhat productive up until the school year started. The Second Brother is now finished and under critique from beta readers, and the sequel(s) have been started with some headway. I decided to trash My Land, My Heart (the idea was very trite), and my opera's present plot, In Greater Hands, and my Giselle retelling are also prospectively on the chopping block. I wrote some draft ideas for He Travels the Fastest, and I may be writing it in earnest as the next main project. I came up with another archive novel idea (which I will probably expound on in another Meet the Books! at some point). 

    Probably the biggest thing that happened as far as writing goes was a redraft, though. My writer friends on Camp NaNo may remember that I have a coauthored novel project which has never been talked about on this blog (mainly to respect my coauthor's privacy). Now, however, Grim has her own blog, and I plan to introduce the story via Meet the Books! sometime very soon. In a nutshell, the story was dull, medieval fantasy of a rather cliche type and has been - um - remodeled, shall we say? Very, very remodeled... Anyhow, more on that later.


Reading

It would take all night for me to cover the reading of a year, so I will just touch on some honorable mentions:

The Journal of Hildegard of Bingen, interpreted by Barbara Lachman

  • You must read it!
  • Don't read my translation because it was terrible. The lady was intent on making St. Hildegard out as some proto-feminist or female priest or something. Her footnotes were beyond weird. Do yourself a favor and find a better version. 
  • Overall, even with the terrible commentary, it was quite a fascinating look into life in a twelfth-century abbey. St. Hildegard was quite an inspiring woman, too - scientist, singer, composer, doctor, abbess, and mystic, and writer of the first musical, to boot. 
Awake, Not Woke: A Christian Response to the Cult of Progressive Ideology by Noelle Mering
  • This fabulous book takes the reader through a careful reconstruction of the processes leading to common political thought today in America. She then proceeds to look at each aspect of the philosophy through a Christian lens, with frequent recourse to the Bible, Catechism, writings of the saints and other great Christian authors. Certainly worth reading.
Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph by Jan Swafford
  • Okay, guys, you need to know about Beethoven. For better or worse, intentionally or not, this guy created the musical world we live in now. (The musical nerd side of me wants to promote it more, but I think I'd probably better stop before I get carried away.)
  • The one huge problem I had with this book was the anti-Catholicism of it all. The author showed rather painfully that she had no competent understanding of Christianity at all. She was quite biased when mentioning anything about the Church, and very strangely positive about every conflicting philosophy except traditional Catholicism. I find this a very high failing when dealing with a composer like Beethoven, who had a complicated and influential relationship with Catholicism. You'd think she would put a little more time and thought into that aspect of the book at least for Beethoven's sake. 
A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt
  • To be perfectly honest, I was actually a bit disappointed by the play. It was not as good as the movie (*gasp*), and the author had a very strange way of looking at St. Thomas's philosophy that didn't really show up in the original movie version. 
  • All the same, beautiful verse, splendid play. Definitely go watch the Paul Scofield movie. 



Music

    Well, All's Fair got two new songs added to it that it really didn't need and doesn't have a place for. I also wrote a quite useless, cheery little WWI style song and a fantasy for oboe and piano (the fantasy was for a composer's competition which I did not win but had a lot of fun with... the WWI song still has no purpose). I sang on the radio over the summer and got to perform at the reopening of a certain old theater building here, so that was cool. I also got somewhat addicted to TwoSetViolin for a period. 

    As far as music goes, I'm quickly gaining a persona as someone who collects and learns really random instruments. I've sung and played piano for a while now, but I now also play organ, banjo, and ukulele. I dabble in recorder and bagpipes. I plan to take up violin or cello for my strings class this semester and drop the recorder as soon as my wind exams are over. If anyone has need of a dying cat meme track, I would be happy to pick up my recorder for a little bit longer.

Well, that's really about it. How about all of you? What has life held for you this past year? How are the writing projects? Reading? And my musical buddies? (Does anybody else name their instruments...???) 

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many instruments! Makes me think of my aunt, who tried to teach me piano and ukulele...but all in vain. I wish I could play bagpipes, though.
    Hildegard of Bingen and Beethoven are both such fascinating historical figures, but I suppose I'll look elsewhere if I want more information on them. It sounds as if these biographies have too much infused bias from the editors/authors.
    Congratulations on the new brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, too bad. I guess you didn't enjoy them? Yeah, haha, bagpipes are fun... Very confusing to play for the first time, though.
      Yes, I would definitely look elsewhere for Beethoven. Like I said, Hildegard's journal is great... just not the translation I read.
      Thanks! I hope life has treated you well also this past year!

      Delete
  3. I'd name my instruments if I had instruments lol. :)
    I loved reading this! I think the bit that was most exciting to me though, ha, is the fact that you're going to do a post about our collab, because I was hoping you might and it deserves one. Looking forward to that!
    Oh, and by the by, I did end up doing Meet the Books for Molly From Hugo:
    https://thegrimwriter114118804.wordpress.com/2022/01/03/meet-the-books-molly-from-hugo/
    God bless, Belle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you have a melodica...!
      Yeah, you knew all this stuff anyways, haha, but oh well... Yep, I'm pretty excited about that. This project is really cool. Is it okay if I post snippets as well?
      Ooh, lovely! I will check that out now.

      Delete
    2. Of course you can post snippets! Are you going to make another Meet the Books out of it, or just a random post on it?

      Delete
    3. Okay, great! Probably another Meet the Books.

      Delete
    4. Huzzah! I'll jump on that boat probably...

      Delete
    5. Looking forward to it! I'm sure you would also make a great introduction of TtC.

      Delete
  4. Contrary to my behavior patterns as a horrible beta reader, I'm so excited about He Travels the Fastest. *grins* I may be biting my nails a little bit about a prospective goodbye to In Greater Hands. If it must go, it must go, and I respect your decision as the writer. *pouts* (But you can do, like, a soft chop, right? Where you just gently drop it from the current WIP pile and say "maybe I'll come back to you someday, dear child, but until then, goodnight" and then you just...walk away and never come back but the thing never technically DIES it's just SLEEPING??? Cuz I do that all the time and it's quite comforting.)

    Anti-Catholic commentators on Catholic subjects are, like, the most aggravating things in existence. Or anti-medieval, even. I feel like a lot of people who write about the Middle Ages (not that I've read a lot about the Middle Ages, but if the very small sample of historians I've read in college can be counted) don't GET the Middle Ages and it makes me mad cuz I'm like "why do you spend your life RESEARCHING this stuff if you hold these people in CONTEMPT?" *looks guiltily at her eugenics project* *waves it off cuz that's different, it's got Chesterton involved*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, my history class (I'm homeschooled) is right in the middle of the middle ages (ha). The teacher emphasized that people are like "where did the good old days (AKA Ancient Greek/Roman) go? All this awful content (AKA Middle ages) is in between us (the good time) and the olden days (the good time)." And yet the truth is quite the opposite, my teacher emphasizes, as the Middle Ages brought a wealth of new technology, while the "olden days" were the "awful content". Just saying that this might be the reason that they seem to not get the Middle Ages, because they are DECEIVING THEMSELVES.

      With Anti-Catholic commentators, I agree with you. And you'd expect them to be biased, too, if they're anti-Catholic (did you mean non-Catholic?). Well, as my mom says, "crown full of jewels [in heaven]."

      Faramir

      Delete
    2. Haha, well, that "soft chop" is sorta the state those stories are in now...

      Agreed, gals (gal and chap? Sorry, Faramir, I don't know... I'm going to guess chap, though, based on the name). It's highly annoying, and quite intellectually dishonest.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm a chap. ;)

      Thanks for checking! (Although honestly I would be fine if I was called a gal long enough for me to set it to rights.)

      Faramir

      Delete
  5. Wow, I didn't know that you liked music! (But then again, there's a lot that I don't know about you, and vice versa.) My family is very musical, and I am no exception. (Although I am not at the composing stage, just saying. My brother, however, is great at composing.)

    Catch you later!

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love music! Like I said, that's actually what I'm in school for at the moment. (Yes, we will have to get to know each other a bit better, methinks.) That's awesome! Yeah, haha, my family is not very musical at all... One of my brothers plays banjo really well, but he refuses to learn to read sheet music, haha. (Well... Technically, I guess I'm not either. My finished compositions tend to be very simple, and for me, composing is a way of fleshing out my learning process with music theory and all that, so I'm not very advanced, just eager. That's so cool that your brother composes, though! What instrument/instruments does he compose for?)

      Delete
    2. He plays piano, and also composes for piano (but also any other instrument, as well, because it's music.)

      I think right now he's composing for a TV show he's making. I think he'll post some stuff on YouTube, so I'll give you a shout when he does, if you want that. (And I'll send you the link, too.) (He might be posting some of his compositions, I might egg him on to doing that. ;) )

      (Being simple is fine! (Except in my brother's standards, XD ) It is a good start, so don't be shy. (I'm simple, too! Although I'm getting more advanced every day...)

      Faramir

      Delete
    3. That's cool - that's composition I could fully appreciate, ha.

      Absolutely! I would love to hear any of his compositions. It's always wonderful to find other people interested in composing, especially if they're better at it, haha.

      (You play piano as well, then, I'm guessing? That's cool - it's a really fun instrument. I'm very thankful my parents let me have lessons.)

      Delete
    4. Yep! I play piano! :)

      (I also play violin, but not very well XD)

      And to bump up your game a bit, you could try transcribing a favorite song or two. (My bro transcribed some pieces for me on the piano. Which is very nice. :) )

      Faramir

      Delete
    5. Ooh, cool! That's really awesome. (Haha, I'm learning to play the violin's ugly stepsister, the viola, but I just started and it sounds terrible.)

      That's a good idea. I've done that a bit in the past, but not for a long time... (Ooh. That *is* nice. From the sound of it, you and your brother have a lot to offer musically!)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)