Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Five Classical Composers Every Catholic Should Know

 Hey-ho! I'm here with something a bit new today. So, the story begins with my two music history classes, wherein one listens to various music from various periods and composers and analyses it and all such stuff. (I have to say, if you ever get the chance to take a music listening course, do it. It's such a wonderful experience. I am taking a general music history one and one on Nonwestern music, and both are utterly fascinating.) 

Anyhow, because of this class and my past love of classical music, I have discovered a few quite wonderful composers, and - more importantly - learned some history behind them. You know, even in a secular, liberal college, it's quite striking how massive a role the Church plays in getting music off to a running start. And that, I suppose, brings me to my point. I love classical music, and, obviously, as a Catholic, I love Catholicism. The cathedral space where they overlap is quite my cup of tea, and we're always told to write what we know, so, thus, this post is born. In short, I'd like to share a few classical composers/works that I think Catholics should know as a part of the rich music history that the Church takes part in. Obviously, if you're a classical aficionado already, you probably know these composers and such, but I will try not to be too mainstream with the ones I talk about - so, no Mozart or Palestrina or anything. (And if you don't like classical music, you... should give it another go. Skip the post, if you will, but, really - give classical music another try.) 


Couldn't find a pic without the wig...

Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)

(If you like the Piano Guys - like this and this - chances are, you've already heard Vivaldi. He's best known for his four Season concertos, especially Spring and Winter.)

Antonio Vivaldi was deeply interested in the priesthood as a young boy, becoming ordained at only twenty-five years old, despite extreme frailty. In fact, long before people ever called him "composer," people called him "Il Prete Rosso" - Italian for "the Red Priest," referring to his bright orange hair color. 

Vivaldi was a pioneer composer when it came to opera, concertos (instrumental solo works), and oratorios (sung religious texts). He loved to compose, and, while his health sometimes made it impossible for him to write things himself (and eventually killed his ability to say Mass on his own), he was quite devoted to ordering sounds into beauty. His devotion to the Faith never waned either, even once he was too sickly to say Mass. A fellow composer wrote of him, "the [R]osary never left his hand except when he picked up his pen to write an opera." 

I definitely recommend all his operas, but especially Griselda, a beautiful fairy tale about a common woman marrying a king and then proving her fidelity to him. (Here is one aria from it, and here's one of the Seasons, while you're at it.)



Edward Elgar (1857-1934)

(Elgar is best known for this gorgeous little instrumental love song to his wife, Salut D'Amour.)

Chesterton, Belloc, and Elgar had something in common, living in England near the turn of the century: an unpopular Faith. In England, the religion of the State had been Anglicanism for years, and Catholics were looked down upon, even highly discriminated against in academic circles, as St. John Henry Newman wrote about in his Apologia Pro Vita Sua (Defense of His Life). 

Elgar's mother converted to Catholicism just before his birth, and, despite the disapproval of his father and all their friends, Elgar was baptized and raised Catholic from his earliest days. In an Anglican world, it was difficult to be taken seriously as an intellectual or artist of any kind when one was a Catholic. Elgar, however, bulldozed through any suspicion or dislike from his peers, and he quickly became one of England's most honored composers purely through the beauty and genius of his own compositions. In addition to this, he was one of the first composers to consistently record his music, leading to most of it being relatively intact to this day. 

Perhaps Elgar had a bit of a roguish, teasing streak in him. Once he made it big in the Anglican high society of England, he published his magnum opus, a massive musical setting of St. John Henry Newman's poem, The Dream of Gerontius. This very Catholic work was primarily concerned with purgatory, a doctrine which the Anglicans rejected. To be sure, it got a few Anglicans fired up, but the work is now considered Elgar's best. (The overture to The Dream of Gerontius is here.)



Claudio Monteverdi (1567-1643)

(Monteverdi is best known for his operas, such as the one this overture is from.) 

Monteverdi is less known these days, but he's a big composer in the classical and the liturgical worlds. Late in life, a Catholic priest and music theory genius, he also founded the genre of opera, writing many of the first and pioneering many techniques in acting and singing, especially techniques in ironic contrast.

One of the most beautiful pieces by Monteverdi is this duet, from his historical opera, The Coronation of Poppea.



Camille Saint-Saens (1835-1921)

(Please forgive the incorrect French lettering... My Blogger skills are those of a five year-old, I'm afraid...) 

(Saint-Saens is best known for his Carnival of the Animals. You probably have heard The Swan from it at some point, here. You may also have heard his famous ghost story piece, Danse Macabre, here.)

Okay, so if you know classical music, you might be wondering why I have Saint-Saens on here at all. The man always claimed he wasn't very religious, after all. The truth, I think, is much more complicated than that. Saint-Saens was one of the last bulwarks of a traditional way of composing, making sounds beautiful and intended to awaken and order the emotions and mind rather than, say, this chaos we call contemporary classical (my apologies to anybody who likes contemporary classical). And, as the Church has always held, that's exactly what music is meant to do: raise the emotions to some order using beauty in sound. Because Saint-Saens was composing in the period where music started splitting into camps of beautiful music and jarring music, he became, intentionally or unintentionally, aligned with much more religious forces, becoming a prominent choral and organ composer, and writing many beautiful sacred pieces.

Even more than the camp that Saint-Saens was put in by others, however, Saint-Saens had an interesting fascination for an "unreligious" man: he wrote many of his most beautiful works in dedication to the Blessed Mother. For some reason, throughout his composition career, the idea of the Ave Maria haunted him and pervaded his music. To be sure, it was relatively standard for a great, traditional composer of the time to write at least one Mass or Ave or something like that. It was a way to show off choral and liturgical writing skills, and it was a sort of aging lip service to that old patron of the Arts, the Catholic Church. Writing one Ave was relatively normal. Saint-Saens wrote five. They were all completely original (many composers of the time liked to just recycle melodies when it came to writing their liturgical works), all very beautiful, and all pretty reverent, fitting within the Church's rubrics for music (as opposed to, say, Beethoven, whose Mass has a whole orchestra... very difficult to fit in a choir loft). For a man who specialized in the old, Romantic Age ideals of passion and complexity in music, it's strange that he wrote some of his most moving melodies for Mary, a figure of humility and simplicity. I highly suggest you look up his Ave in A Major, here - it's definitely worth a listen.



Cesar Franck (1822-1890)

(Franck is best known for this sonata for violin and piano, as well as other instrumental works like it.)

Franck was a cradle Catholic, organist, and pianist. Supposedly, the dude had such big hands that his works are very difficult - if not impossible - to play as written. (I wonder if Sergei Rachmaninov ever gave him a run for his money...?) He was a conservatory professor for a time and was known as an eccentric. His students who got into his confidence and could look past his childlike oddities often called him "Papa Franck" due to how amiable a teacher he was.

Franck believed strongly in expressing the virtues through music. Nearly every work he ever wrote, especially his instrumental music, he based on his meditation on the virtues, the Beatitudes, and various Gospel verses. He believed that music was intrinsically good, and if it was at all beautiful, it led the way to God. 

Probably my favorite Franck piece is his beautiful duet, Panis Angelicus, here, which I have been privileged enough to sing many times. (Correction: the version linked is a solo because apparently Youtube has no versions of the duet arrangement with good audio quality.)

Anyhow, that's all for the moment, folks. Sorry if the post is slightly boring... I don't seem to have a non-ramble mode when it comes to music, I'm afraid. Let me know if you like classical music! Who are some of your favorite composers?

11 comments:

  1. I feel very, very proud of myself. I actually know all but the last two off the top of my head. I haven't heard much (if any) Montevardi, but thanks to the Trapp family, the name is very familiar. Vivaldi I listen to on the regular now. *groans* I blame my boss. We play a lot of it at work, as you know. As for Elgar, I had no idea he was that cool. All I knew was that he wrote the beautiful Lux Aeterna I love so much. So yeah. Maybe I'm not as much a greenhorn as I thought lol. And regardless, this post was jolly informative and quite enjoyable. Good show, wot. Oh and I must apologize if I have been remiss in commenting. The internet (I say that because Wordpress and Blogger both do it to me) has this weird thing where it sometimes decides it'll notify me about blogs I follow putting up posts and sometimes it's like 'syke, that's not gonna happen.' Apparently with your blog it is always the latter. *groans* Anyways, God bless dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Grim, that's exactly my experience too! (The Wordpress and Blogger stuff.) I think the only notifications I get are for Sam's blog and the wordpress blogs I follow (yours!)

      (So, Belle, if I don't come up in a while, I've just not checked recently. Need to make that clear.)

      Faramir

      Delete
    2. Splendid! See, you really do know about some classical music. Ooh, I forgot that they talked about Monteverdi in the Von Trapps! I can still sympathize with some annoyance over unending Vivaldi, though, haha...

      Yeah, no problem, guys! More time commenting gives me an excuse to take longer posting new stuff, haha.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of Vivaldi and maybe Franck. But other than that, I have no idea.

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're not super mainstream composers as far as classical music goes. I definitely recommend all of them, though, especially Saint-Saens.

      Delete
    2. I have actually sang Panis Angelicus with a choir, but never knew it was his. (I still remember the words well and can probably still sing it. Alas, my voice is falling down octaves.)

      Faramir

      Delete
    3. Lovely! That's easily my favorite of his works. (Oh dear...! I can't say I know the feeling, but you have my sympathies anyhow... I can only imagine how disorienting that is vocally.)

      Delete
  3. Ack Belle this is lovely! And thank you for providing all the links. I worked through most of them while reading stuff for school just now, and it was, ach, lovely.

    I did not know so much about Vivaldi's spiritual life. That is LOVELY. As is his music.

    Elgar, I am glad to be introduced to. Any Anglo-Catholic from the early 20th century is a pal of mine. ;)

    The modern cacophony you linked to, oh my golly. I had to turn it off cuz it did not work as study music. And the 1913 date on there makes so much sense. It reminds me of a certain scene in Strong Poison where Lord Peter gets into a music theory discussion with some Boksheviks and he's just mocking them and they don't even know it, presumably. XD

    Anyway I loved this. Feel free to ramble any time. We want more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them! And, wow, that's a lot to listen to all at one time.

      Agreed!

      Yeah, it's just awful, haha. And that one is one of the more tonal, regular ones as far as contemporary stuff goes. Ooh, I really want to read this, haha... Wimsey mocking contemporary music theory is something I very much want in my life.

      Thankee! I might do more posts on classical music in the future - sort of a "write what you know" kinda thing? I guess it depends on how well I can make it interesting for other people.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, my dear! I - being a bit of a classical nut - actually do recognize some of these names. The strangers to me were Elgar and Franck (although I *might* have picked up a song or two of his in my playlist and not known it). I also was quite ignorant of Vivaldi's priesthood which makes his music even more enjoyable for me. But Monteverdi? He's my jam, lol. I listening to his music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, lovely! Glad to know a fellow classical nut, haha. Yeah, Elgar and Franck aren't super mainstream, but their work is just gorgeous. My discovery of them came through singing their liturgical pieces, especially Elgar's gorgeous Ave Verum Corpus.
      Cool! I love Monteverdi now, but, strangely enough, I hadn't heard much of his work until my music listening classes. I own a libretto of one of his operas, though, haha. (Don't ask - it's a long story...)

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)