Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Pain of a Memory - Part IV

Hello again! This is the continuing story of The Pain of a Memory, one of my current WIPs. The first three parts are below:
Part I
Part II
Part III
Please enjoy! :)
***

The old traveler laughed. Well, perhaps he wasn't quite old - not yet at least - but weary, and he had certainly been through much. But that didn't matter now. He was home again, and he couldn't help laughing with joy every time he neared the place he loved so.
He gazed down at it reminiscently. A long time ago, he would've never known this place, much less known it as home. Well, it had become his home, because there was someone there waiting for him, and if that wasn't a good definition of a home, he didn't quite know what was.


Echo, as the traveler's name at home was, stood on a road over a hill, looking across the plain to see quite the sight. Below and ahead of him was a castle, a great garden, and a small village, all within close quarters. But didn't he look to the great mass of greenery, nor to the grand towers. Echo's first gaze was immediately spared for the simple village, where he knew there was a small hut that had someone - or some ones - waiting for him inside.

Echo's weariness abated at the sight, and he began to run like a giddy child in the direction of the town. He had just come back from another long journey, serving the king, seeing sights, and remembering things he'd thought he had forgotten. But now, he was done, and he could enjoy this place again. He could finally feel in its full force the splendiferous sunlight upon his tousled hair. He could finally feel the slight dampness of the morning upon his skin, like a long drink to a soldier lost in the desert. He could finally see the ever-growing green glade-flowers along the path, and hear the tiny stream trickling a little ways off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Echo then halted, having finally reached the city. He looked around again, savoring every bit of the place. This small but prosperous village was his home. The only home he'd had in almost eight years. Echo had been through thick and thin - battles, wars, journeys, adventures, quests of every type - and he had no wish to go on any more of such things for a very long time, if ever again. He was home now.

Echo walked the streets joyfully for a moment, stopping by a small inn labeled The Glorious Gallivant. He smiled and entered the oddly-named inn. Inside it was fairly busy. Well, at least busy for a small village tavern.
Then an auburn-haired man passed by Echo. Echo turned, and summoned the man, recognizing him immediately.
"Hey, Grant, can't a man get some decent service?", Echo beckoned jokingly.
The man turned to him, seeming angry for second. "Now, sir, if you're not satisfied with our -- Echo!" The man seemed to gladden on recognizing him. "You're back! Back from another of your glorious gallivants, ah?"
Echo laughed again. "Hah! The most glorious gallivant of mine is right here, Grant. Oh, I'm glad to be back!"
Grant smiled for a moment, but then looked down. "Oh, Echo, I wish you had waited just one more day to arrive"
Echo raised an eyebrow. "Why?"
Grant got that 'Did I really just say that?' look in his eye, and he attempted to smile again. "Ah, nothing; it's just that I'm finished brewing new ale tomorrow, you know, it's always best the first day, or at least you always said so"
"Grant?", the traveler suspiciously looked at him.

"I think someone over there needs my attention", said Grant abruptly, and he scurried off.
Echo shook his head smilingly, too glad of home to really persist in making Grant speak. So Echo decided to go. Perhaps he could go somewhere else and more successfully find out what was going on.

As Echo went through the streets, though, he passed a certain small hut, though, and stopped. Echo knew the hut. This particular little house stood out to him, with its an aroma of flowers and fresh-baked bread. Echo couldn't resist going in, because this fragrance was very familiar, and very dear. He could find out what Grant had been talking about later.
So Echo entered. Inside were a young girl and a small boy. The girl was just taking a loaf out of the furnace-stone. She smelled of fresh bread and was bespattered down her front with flour. The boy was tending the furnace-stone's fire carefully, but when he saw Echo walk in the door, he shouted with glee and arose, dusting ash all over himself. He ran to Echo, but on realizing he was covered in ash, refrained from embracing Echo. Echo squeezed him anyways, taking a large whiff of the amazing aroma that filled the house. Oh, how amazing it was to finally return...
Then Echo turned to the two children smilingly. "Ariff, you've gotten taller in these three months. What have you been doing to get so? Ah, Lania, that smells  amazing!"
"Hello, Echo!", said Ariff, seemingly delighted that he had grown any noticeably taller.
 
Echo looked down at him. "Hmm, so you've heard about my nickname in the village, ah? Bet that Grant told you, didn't he?"
Orlania smiled at Ariff and brushed a whip of her wavy blond hair out of her face as she set the loaf down. "Yes, it was Grant"
Echo chuckled. "Good old Grant..." He turned back to Ariff. "Well, you can call me anything you like, Ariff... even Echo"
"Why do they call you 'Echo'?", asked Ariff curiously.


"Because of this", said Echo, pushing back a large portion of his hair, revealing an empty spot where his left ear should have been. "It's not my favorite of the names I've been given" He laughed exasperatedly. "I suppose I don't pay attention very well, so Grant used to joke that when he talked to me, it just went in through the hole, echoed around in my head, and went right back out again. That's why they call me Echo. Not a very nice name. Do you know why you're called Ariff?"
Ariff looked up expectantly for a moment. "Nope. How am I supposed to know? I'm only ten... and besides, it was you that named me, wasn't it?"
Echo nodded. "Yes, indeed it was, Ariff. But I'll tell you why your name is Ariff. You are named for someone very brave who was once my friend. But he and another very good friend died in the war I fought in long ago, and I never saw him again. I named you after him so I'd never forget..." Echo trailed off reminiscently. Then he shook himself back into the present. "But some time later, I was wandering around the country, and I saw you two in the streets, orphaned by the war. You were only three then, Ariff, so you probably don't remember. But your sister, Orlania, was eight, and she knows"
Ariff looked at Orlania in awe. She smiled and nodded. Ariff looked back at the traveler expectantly.
"You were so little, and without a family to name you, so you had no name then",  he continued. "And because you were alone, I took you along with me, and named you, Ariff, after my friend and comrade. And so that is your name", he finished, and he looked silently off into the distance for a moment.
Ariff looked up at Echo thoughtfully. "I suppose all names mean something, then?"
Echo smiled. "I reckon so... and if not, I think they should"
Then, suddenly trumpet-call sounded from outside. Echo knew that call. It was a summons for the knights of the king. Echo had to leave them again already... So soon...
"I must go", Echo said to the children firmly. "I'm sorry" And with that, he limped out.


The picture this scene was originally inspired by, The Departure of the Knights.
On his way through the street, Echo looked back one last time. Orlania was watching him sadly from the doorway. A tear dropped onto her pale cheek. How Echo wished that he could wipe away that tear himself. The only family she and Ariff had was leaving again, and perhaps one day he would not come back.
I know, I know. Another scene from a different POV than Anwynne. But I promise they are very important, and will all meet eventually. I can also promise you something which may be a joy to some in my audience - the next scene is Anwynne again. :) Yay! I just am grateful to all you lovely readers for being so patient with me - I don't know what I'd do without you guys! :)
But anyways, what did you think? Do you prefer Echo to Lan? To Anwynne? Or are you hanging on for the last POV character (who will also enter in a little while)? Or have you all stopped reading by now? I don't blame you! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Aww, Echo. :) :( And the cute little kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness, I loved hearing about Echo. I think he's a very fascinating character, and would love to hear more about him :). I do prefer Echo to Lan, but Anwynne is still my favorite :). I can't wait for the next scene!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I just hope this makes up for the ride I gave you last time... :P
      Thanks for the enthusiasm!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)