Pages

Friday, November 2, 2018

Fear and Fiction

A couple weeks ago, a friend asked a philosophical question for fun, so another friend and I could try to answer it. The question was "What is fear?" I attempted to answer the question, but my answer was rather pathetic and I was pretty clueless and dissatisfied with it. My other friend took a crack at it, but was also stumped. The event stuck in my mind. For one thing, it was a humbling question because, being philosophically-minded, one of my greatest flaws is a sort-of intellectual pride in being able to answer many such questions. But it was more than that. It was an interesting question - one that I've gotten close to in thought many times, but never actually broached anywhere. It took forever thinking about it to finally find an answer, but my thoughts were of a sort that I wished to share here, as eventually - like in so many topics - they came to writing.
Fear is perhaps an honesty with oneself - a morally neutral sort-of humility. By itself, it means nothing, but, as with many human emotions, the action taken for it gives it meaning.


Fear branches into two paths - cowardice and courage. Courage? Yes, courage; to quote that repetitive old favorite line from Newsies, "courage does not erase our fears; courage is when we face our fears," and it is not courage to have to fear in the first place. You are probably not afraid of PB&Js, but this does not mean that eating one is having courage. You are probably not afraid of swimming, either, which is certainly more dangerous than PB&Js, but this does not mean you are being courageous every time you swim. Courage is only present where fear is.


On the other hand, cowardice is taking one's fears and refusing to have courage; it is allowing one's fear to overpower one's higher motive or goal. This is the contortion of fear, while courage is the completion of it. To be fearful is no wrong; to let those fears go above one's reason is. Courage is keeping one's mind even whilst one's knees quake.


At this point, I have to stop. If these are true, and fear can be completed or contorted - because I am no authority, not marvelously intelligent, and may be completely wrong, no matter what my own mind wishes to think, this is debatable - then fear exists. What does this mean? Well, it means fear must be good. Nothing that exists is evil; evil is always merely a contortion of lack of good things. And if fear is good, this leads me to the writing part after a terribly lengthy introduction...

Why Do We Make Fear Our Enemy?

Think about them - all the stories, particularly recent ones, where fear is the enemy of the tale. Frozen; Rise of the Guardians; the Hotel Transylvania movies, and Harry Potter to a certain extent - all of them make fear the enemy of humankind (or... modified humankind in a few of those characters). Why should fear be the enemy? Why is it so unequivocally condemned in society nowadays?

Well, think about what's boosted in its place. Confidence, acceptance of everything (usually masquerading as 'love,' despite the unloving treatment of characters who are not accepting), and belief in oneself. Overall, the opposites of humility. Why? Because that's what fear is a part of in its truest sense: humility. And society has long hated humility; we all know this.

People hate humility now because it shows them to be what they are: weak, stubborn, sinful, worthless beings. And it makes them admit that, to have worth, they have to rely on something or Someone else. Fear does the same thing. It tells us that we cannot do everything ourselves, we cannot face anything, we cannot be invincible or omnipotent, etc. And because the only alternatives are fearlessness and cowardice, the latter a universally despised flaw even in these days, they promote fearlessness.
But fearlessness is not only unnatural, it is impossible. If you are a human being, then you will have fears (perhaps this is why so many people in these anti-fear movies are not plainly human...?).

It is also arrogant. If one takes away fear of any kind, then one becomes sure that one is the all-powerful center of the universe, capable of anything with enough effort and motivation and belief in oneself, and dependent upon no one, not even God, which is exactly what fear admits; "Without God, we're helpless," fear admits to us.

Modern society dislikes fear because they dislike God. Fear forces them to admit their reliance on God, so they shun it. Not only this, but fear can be an element of conscience, making one reluctant to do what one knows is wrong, and that's strike two for fear in their book. It also disrupts those lovely little 'happy vibes' that they worship as an idol in social media. It can also be a virtue, in fear of the Lord, which is the chief factor in our admittance that Someone is more powerful than us.

So... What Do We Do?

Well, stop making fear the universal enemy in stories, for one thing. For another, write characters who are afraid. Sure, make them face their fears, but don't make it seem like they have none, or that they reject it. Yes, every human being would like to reject fear, no doubt, but truly mature characters will realize that it is not about what they like or don't like in saving themselves, their loved ones, the world, or whatever they're doing. What might even be a good idea is to start making fear's opposite the enemy - arrogance. Just to shoot an idea out there, you know. I know that many of you probably already have neatly-planned little novels and everything, and adding something like this just doesn't fit. Okay, fine. But don't write against it. Please. Fear is not your enemy; it's not anyone's enemy. So stop making it the enemy.
What do you think? Have you seen any movies or read any books like this? Have you ever thought about fear's representation in fiction? Do you have anything to add? Any comments? Arguments? Perhaps better definitions? I want to hear all your thoughts!

16 comments:

  1. wow I feel like I need to read this again later. THIS IS AMAZING! I really love how you say, "Fear branches into two paths - cowardice and courage"

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took a lot of thought to put together, but I've been wanting to write this post for a long time - I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, Belle! I think your analysis of fear as an emotion which can be good or bad depending on how it's handled is right on--quite in line with Aristotle's idea of the golden mean, don'tcha know. :) And I'd never thought of fear in connection to humility. That is very insightful.


    Agreed! There's nothing wrong with making fear the bad guy, provided it's the evil form of fear. I've actually heard a super insightful interpretation of Frozen by a faithful Catholic that has me convinced Elsa's fear is deeply allegorical in a good way (no matter what it was intended to represent). But yes! Let's write more stories in which fear is a healthy thing and the heroes are truly courageous rather than mere reckless young Thors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wait... Aristotle had something to say about this, and I didn't know???!!! *jaw drops* I can't believe it. I spent all that time trying to riddle it out, and I could've turned to ole' faithful Aristotle for help, haha!

      I agree. The problem is that people have less distinction nowadays, so they just say "fear" instead of "cowardice." And, haha, what a perfect way to phrase the need - agreed!

      Undoubtedly, even movies like Frozen can be interpreted in better lights - I just personally have trouble enjoying them.

      Delete
    2. Heehee, I think it proves your mastery of logical philosophical thought...you came to the same conclusion Aristotle did 4000 years ago! (or however long ago it was...)

      "Distinction." Now THERE is a good word to describe the issue. As much as our culture praises "critical thinking," it loves nothing more than jumbling concepts together in one conglomerate mess of vagueness...

      Delete
    3. Hahaha... *sighs*

      Exactemente! This culture loves ambiguity. (Sorry for my clipped replies - I happen to be holding a baby on my lap and typing with one hand.)

      Delete
  3. Now here is a fascinating debate!!

    I always viewed fear as a sort of emotion - very similar to anger in fact. I say this because anger can also be good and bad. There is the just anger that someone feels when an injustice is committed or our Lord is offended, and then there is the wrathful kind of anger. In many ways, people focus on the bad kind of anger (which is really easy to do since Anger is one of the Seven Deadly Sins) and not on the good kind of anger.

    I always equated fear to cowardice - which always confused me when it came to stuff like Fear of the Lord. I think also many people call courage "confidence".

    Many people are also quick to blame the emotion (using anger as the example again) instead of their lack of control of said emotion.

    Also, people have a problem with despairing in themselves or their abilities. They feel that they CAN'T do (blank). Many times, it masquerades as "fear". All it really is, is a refusal to cooperate with Grace. I say this out of experience more than anything.

    After all, what is this inner strength that makes the hero overcome the obstacle? Nothing but Grace, that's what.

    Because society lacks objective truth and emotional clarity, they can only call it what they know or feel that it is. They make the mistake of calling the carrier the source.

    (dear me, what a confabulated mess....that's what I get for spitting out random observations.)

    Catherine <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      That's a very interesting point, comparing it to the emotion of anger. In fact, that clarifies the definition immensely (because, in all this rambling, I said what fear does and doesn't *do*, but I didn't say what it actually *was*... oops).

      Definitely!

      Also, definitely!

      There's another brilliant insight. So true! And I can definitely agree with it... from experience as well. :P

      Vero, vero!

      Si, certo!

      Haha, no problem! In fact, thanks for the comment - I recommend to any surfers reading this to read Catherine's comment, btw - it adds splendidly to the topic and I am just sitting here avidly nodding in agreement.

      Delete
    2. Ooh...."a refusal to cooperate with grace." I like that.

      Delete
  4. J+M+J
    I know I know, this is insanely late for me to be commenting, but I read this a while back and never commented, and I feel like I should. (I just finished Archbishop Sheen's speech "Fears and Anxieties," and I would heartily commend it, I think you'd at least find it thought-provoking if not like it. It reminded me of this post and so activated me to respond to it)
    I am not sure I agree with your statement that "to fear is humility," and I'll explain why.
    So I would agree that fear is natural, and someone without fear is not human. (It came into humanity along with sin and death at Original Sin)
    For example, if I am in a powerful windstorm in the middle of the forest I am naturally and most likely going to have the unconscious fear that a tree is going to fall on me: whether I like it or not, I cannot control this fear. It is there, because by human nature it was conditioned to be there.
    However, there are some who would show no sign of fear, or on whom this fear would have no effect... how so?
    Well, it is because of what you said, they faced their fear. They had the courage to face their fear, because they put their full trust in God.
    Either that, or they pridefully supposed that they could withstand it by themselves and so had no need of fear.
    So what must we do with that fear? Because its not like we can say "Oh we won't have that fear" Because that would be pride: of course we're going to have that fear, it's in our human nature too. So while we may and should accept the fact that we are going to fear, we should reject the inclination to put the fear into action. In a perfect world, we shouldn't have fear, because we should put our full trust in God. However, as I said, we do have fear, because our world is imperfect. Needless to say that doesn't subtract from the fact that to not have fear, or to not let fear control you, you should put your trust in God.
    So in that case, is the fear humility?

    (More in a second, sorry, tis getting long)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J+M+J
      Hmmm, I really don't think so. Because regardless if you think you're indestructible or not, you have the fear deep within, because you have human instincts and can't prevent it. Now, you can choose to ignore it because you think you're better and refuse to be controlled by fear by your own powers, and so make pride; or you can choose to ignore it because you trust in our Lord's will and won't let it control you by His powers, and so make humility. So I would say less that fear *is* humility, but that through fear we can come to humility. For fear isn't a virtue or sin in itself, its simply a natural instinct brought about by a fallen nature... would you not agree? Fear isn't in itself an enemy, but the sin that created fear is. Our world is making an enemy of the product, not the producer. What our world's problem is is that they are telling us in order to conquer it we must simply believe in ourselves and to get through, which is pride. What we must really do is have the humility to accept it and have the courage to do the right thing anyway with our Lord's help. To pick an extreme example, if I had a gun in my hand and I came upon a person about to be killed by a robber, I could do two things: good, by defending the innocent and shooting the robber; bad, by killing the innocent and so helping the robber. Now, is the situation itself bad? Is the choice, in itself, an enemy? No. It is the product of the robber's act, and my presence. It is an opportunity for me, sent by the Lord (He Who brings good out of evil) to gain grace. I can mess it up however by sinning. So what is the evil? Where is the sin, or the enemy? Because obviously there is an enemy, or sin, as this is a pending evil deed. The sin is not in the product, or situation, but in the producer, or the act of the robber in the first place.
      So in writing this (and rewriting it, for I did that a couple times) I would say I have formed my opinion that fear is, as a lot of life matters are: a trial, or an opportunity for grace: it can be used for good or bad. (For humility or pride)
      Though, then you arrive at the question: "What of 'Fear of the Lord'? Can that be bad?"
      And I actually don't know to be honest, it obviously can't be, as that in itself is a virtue or a love, so there must be more to it, but I can't brain it out at the moment... thoughts anyone?
      I could be completely wrong about all this too, what do you think?

      Sorry, this is REAAAALLY long, and I apologize: I'll wrap it up quickly.
      (I probably just used about ten times the amount of words as I needed to to get the point across... sorry again.)

      Despite my wonderings and thinking outloudings though, I do believe I can agree with your post quite heartily, it was very thought provoking, great post! :)

      The Doorman.

      Delete
    2. Hmm. A splendid point. Though, doesn't this just prove that fear is a form of humility? Is not humility just an honesty with oneself as to our true nature - an expendable, finite one? And fear of the Lord is this holy, humble fear - the fear of being without that which causes us. Fear is a gift to us from the Lord, like all things, but, as Screwtape says in The Screwtape Letters, every gift from "the Enemy" (a.k.a., God) can be distorted or fulfilled, according to free will. To fulfill fear, one must acknowledge that it tells the truth - we are nothing, but we needn't worry, because God is everything. To distort fear is to let it become its own end, or to make into something it's not. Thus, we can see that fear is a curio of humility. For instance, in your example, you make the robber's sin the cause of fear. But this is not so. Fear can be caused by many things, both evil, neutral, and, yes, even good things. Fear is never brought about by evil, but is merely a part of humanity - Adam and Eve before the fall had fear of the Lord, a perfected fear, and due to this did not need to fear anything else nor distort fear into their enemy. After that, they cowered because their fear was no longer perfected - they no longer faced the world with certainty, knowing that the only thing with power was the Lord; they thought themselves as powerful as he, and so threw away their confidence in Him rather than in themselves. Does that make any sense? This clarifies your question on fear of the Lord as well: the latter is fear which is carried through - an acknowledgement of the Lord's power over us and a need for Him. Does that help?

      No problem - thanks for the thoughtful comment!

      Delete
    3. J+M+J
      Hmm, well ... not exactly. Again, it depends on what you consider fear. A virtue is a gift, and it cannot be forced upon us. We have, however, no decision but to fear sometimes... we can't just say "I'm not going to be afraid of ___" and by our own power make our own person not be afraid... we are afraid whether we want to be or not, and no two sides to that. So therefore I conclude that, as virtues, being gifts, cannot be forced upon someone of free will, and as Humility is a virtue, Fear and Humility cannot be the same thing, as fear can happen outside of our control. Fear is a gift... just as the trials of life are a gift, as an opportunity to give grace. Yes, and when fear is fulfilled, it isn't there any longer... for if we needn't worry, we needn't fear either. If it was humility, would we not remain with it? Would we not remain in fear, or remain humble? You can't distort Humility, or it ceases to remain true Humility. If you can distort fear, either to become humility, or the opposite, then fear can't be humility. But it is, as you just stated, a thing that can be bent to good or evil, which just goes to prove that it is the springboard, or opportunity of humility. Hmmm... yes, I follow.... But I still have my opinions, if you haven't noticed, haha.... And they're probably wrong, as usual, but I am full intent on finding out how and why they are so.... So if you could so enlighten me, please do!
      And now it is apparently my turn at the whip-like comment... sorry, I hope that wasn't too pointed/negative?

      The Doorman.

      Delete
    4. Would you not agree that attraction, as in romantic attraction, is a gift as well? Or elation and similar happy feelings? Or feeling full? All of our emotions and urges are gifts from God, for they are opportunities to do His Will and to gain the greater gift of a virtue thereby. Fear, by this measure, is indeed a gift, for it inspires a wise caution by instinct, and an opportunity for courage by trial. Humility is the virtue that goes with fear because conscious fear (a.k.a., reverence, or, in a specific case Fear of the Lord) is a respect of something because of our own inferiority to it - this is very close in nature to humility. And, actually, we do need fear, but not on its own. Alone, it is worth little, but it is an opportunity for humility, courage, and conscious fear for a greater good. I do not make the claim that fear is the exact same thing as humility, but, rather, a type of it. To express conscious fear (or reverence) is to humble oneself necessarily. The two are metaphysically linked. It's like anger (the feeling, not the conscious sin) and justice. One must temper the feeling, using it according to its true purpose to turn it into the virtue. Does that make any sense?
      Nope, haha - I love debate, as you can know well.

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)