Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Me and the Moon and the Music - A Poem


Me, and the moon, and the music
Share our one company tonight -
Just me, and the moon, and the music -
Rememb'ring when things were right...
 
One summer's dance, one fine evening,
Beneath silver light of moon pale,
A melody floating around me,
Like winds 'round a ship's ready sail,
 
Just me and my love stepping softly
Around a half-deserted floor -
Just us, and the moon, and the music -
How could I have ever wished for more?
 
Me, and the moon, and the music
Remember that time long ago,
When we, and the moon, and the music
Had times lit with Love's golden glow.
 
One sits at this table for two now,
While the moon and the music do thrive.
Me waiting alone here for someone -
Someone who will never arrive...
 
But still, all the same, I wait lone here,
Gazing up at the stars in the sky,
This night, and its moon, and its music
Recalling the stars in her eyes.
 
Me, and the moon, and the music
Know in vain that here waiting we stay.
Still I wait with the moon and the music,
Before both do fly far out away...
I: Aesthetics                                                       … 
The stars in the sky now are fading,
The moon is on the hilltop's rim,
The last harmony of the music
Is slowing and growing now dim.
 
The silver light reflects before me,
Right before it lowers its head,
The melody's last few small notes
Now into night's silence have bled...
 
Me, and the moon, and the music
All but flee at the sunlight's first tear.
Now I see not the moon or the music -
They both have abandoned me here.
 
Only echoes are playing inside me,
Like the fragrance of flowers now gone.
The light remains just in my memr'y,
For, it too vanished with come of dawn.
Still one at this table for two,
This one fool who waited in vain.
I know that the second won't come,
But somehow to this spot I am chained...
 
For me, and the moon, and the music,
All but the mem'ry has flown.
I, abandoned by moon and by music,
Linger on, forever alone.

8 comments:

  1. !!!

    How did I know this was going to be sad?

    …Belle. Belle. I think this might be my favorite poem I've ever read by you. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wrote it, Megs! Of course it's going to be sad!

      What??? It always drove me nuts because of the stupid faulty meter... But thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh my this is definitely one of my favorite poems I've read in forever. First, I am happy to see people using rhyme and rhythm. Second, the imagery is amazing and your word choices beautiful. Third, the theme is so heart wrenching and real. Wow. LOVE THIS.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really...? I... kinda dug this poem outta my "look at this once a year and no more" repertoire because I had posted all my good ones that I could find... I had no idea that you guys would like it, though I'd hoped so, I suppose. Thank you!
      Well, blame the words on a weird movie with a cool song - see, this was originally a song, but I realized that there was a song in the movie Band Wagon that had the same titles and a suspiciously similar first line of melody. Oops. But the song itself had very few words because Fred Astaire was dancing to it. So his dancing inspired the words to this poem, for a terribly long-winded explanation. :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. *scratches head in confusion* Thank you...! *to self* What is going on here???

      Delete
  4. *wails* that was really sad!! But I loved it!!

    Lilah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lilah! Man, I can't believe it got this good of reception - seriously, I wrote this at least a couple years ago...

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)