Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Meet the Books! - Pack Up Your Troubles

Some of you may have noticed that there is a new page on this old blog. Within it rests the record of all of my stories. What does this mean? Unfortunately, my friends, it means the end of Meet the Books!. This shall be the last Meet the Books! link-up I shall host for a long time, and possibly forever. I may post another one from time to time with only the questions on it, for the sake of other bloggers' story introductions, but there will be no more full posts here. Not only do I have no more stories of my own to introduce, but I have finally figured out the fickle contraption that drove me to make the feature in the first place. So, as this may be the last one, if you want to join the link-up, now's your last chance. The rules (for those who don't know) are simple enough - link back to my original post, send me a link of your Meet the Books! post in a comment, include the Meet the Books! picture if you like, and answer the questions for the link-up. This last feature will be on a prospective work, actually, because I have no more WIPs left to introduce, but I wanted to give the feature a last farewell. So, without further ado, the final one in the series...


What is the genre?
The genre is Drama, though it certainly has some Romance elements.
What is the title? Time period?
The title is Pack Up Your Troubles, after the wartime song... which leads to the time period - WWI.
How is it written (POV, main character, etc.)?
As usual, third person limited for me shall probably be the format. As I have not actually started writing it yet, I haven't much more detail than that at present.
What is the setting?
America and Europe in WWI.
Who are the characters?
Lady without a name is a young American girl who regularly sees and is in love with Arthur Whitten, who is strongly disliked by her brother,
Jules (no last name yet) - the lady's brother and a strict soul. Also American, but more of the Scottish blood comes out in him, and between him and his sister begin on their own in life, and his own high standards for her, he very strongly disapproves of Arthur, who doesn't seem worthy or reliable.
Arthur Whitten is the date of the young lady. Being your typical American youth, it's fairly easy to find meager details in Arthur to disapprove of for Jules, though on a whole he's an alright lad.
What does the plot consist of?
As I've mentioned before, Jules most heartily disapproves of Arthur for his sister, despite their taking to each other. In fact, Jules so much disapproves that he forbids (and enforces this forbiddance) Arthur to ever step foot near her again. Shortly after this, however, an accident occurs where, by chance, Arthur saves Jules' life. Arthur then steps out of the picture, going to the WWI front without a word. Jules realizes now, of course, that Arthur's nothing like he imagined - he really is a decent man. And he feels bad about splitting the pair up. He apologizes to his sister, and he promises that, whatever it takes, he'll get Arthur back to her - whatever it takes. So he follows Arthur to the front... but when he finds him, Arthur's already been in a battle... and gotten shell-shocked. Arthur doesn't remember a thing about America or the girl or Jules - just the battle he was in when it happened. But Jules promised, and he doesn't do anything lightly, so he tries to convince Arthur to remember everything. Traumatized, Arthur denies any of it, bewildered and wary of this stranger who can seemingly tell him his life. Jules puts his convincing of Arthur to rest for the moment, realizing that Arthur really can't recall anything at all, but Jules instead sticks with Arthur on the front, through thick and thin, trying to keep him safe and serve as his companion. Despite the cold confusion between them, they become friends, though Arthur still does not remember anything.
 Eventually, through a long series of events in the war, a battle occurs where, saving Arthur's life, Jules is blinded. Though Jules doesn't know it, it makes something click in Arthur - Arthur remembers the incident where he did the same for Jules. Jules, however, has to be sent home to America, and can no longer follow Arthur. His promise is broken. Determined, desperate, but unsure of how to proceed, Jules only goes back to his sister as he has to. He continues to hold that he'll fulfill his word, though - somehow. His sister, at this point, doesn't care - she forgives him and understands perfectly well that nothing can be done. One day Jules, however, hears word of an award ceremony; a war hero has returned to the US and is receiving a medal - Cap. Arthur Whitten. Overjoyed, Jules does everything in his power to contact Arthur, and finally gets a hold of him. Arthur, having remembered a little more, is hesitant, but agrees to meet Jules, the soldier who saved his life and may be telling the truth about the past. They set the time and place and wait. On the way to meet Arthur, however, Jules is caught in an accident - a car runs into him and he never makes it to their meeting place. Somehow, Arthur hears of the accident of his friend, and he rushes to the hospital, where Jules is gravely injured. Jules' sister is there. Arthur sees her, and he realizes that Jules has been telling the truth this whole time - everything was real. Blinded, crippled, perhaps even dying, Jules finally sees them back together - he kept his promise.
What gave you the idea?
Not being able to sleep, and having too many ideas... as usual.
Who are the favorite characters so far?
The only one aside from myself who's even read the summary is my sister right now, but her favorite character is Jules.
What is the favorite scene so far?
No scenes as of yet, as it is a prospective project.
Any drawings?
Not yet.
Any snippets?
Again, not yet.
Strong point in story?
The title! Don't you just love it when people use songs for titles? No? Well, I suppose I shall relish it alone, then...
Weak point in story?
Just about everything else - it is very, very recent, and needs a lot of work.
What are your plans for it?
Well, haha, I suppose I'll write it eventually...
Any particular writing habits for it?
Not yet. Really, using a prospective story for some of these questions just doesn't work, but I really did having nothing else left.


If it were made into a movie, what would be your ideal cast for it?
Hmm. I would probably pick Dana Andrews for Jules, the lady would have to be Betty Grable, and Arthur could be played by young Henry Fonda.
I'm afraid that's all for now, folks. Apologies for the lax blogging... again. Hopefully you enjoyed this post and this link-up's swan song! If you want to join, this may be your last chance, so please do!

6 comments:

  1. J+M+J
    Hmmm, note to self: stay up late tonight and have trouble sleeping.... ;)
    I've had those times too though, so my condolences and congratulations.... (condolences on the loss of sleep, and congratulations on the idea)
    This story sounds amazing, I can't wait for it!!
    (Good luck writing!)

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, well, that's how some of the best ideas come...! ;)
      Grazie, haha - for both.
      Thanks! (You wouldn't like it, though, you know... with the romance and all... *sly smirk*)

      Delete
  2. ACK!!! THE WWI STORY! IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! IT'S HEEEEERRRREEEE!!!!

    *breathes*

    …Belle it's gorgeous. In a horribly sad gritty sort of way. POOR JULES, I tell you.

    And oh no!! No more Meet the Books?? But it's such a lovely link-up...! You'll utilize it again whenever you get a new story idea, though, won't you? Won't you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, certo! Though unwritten.

      Thanks! Mwahahaha, I love torturing characters...!
      No, not for the moment. Yes, I suppose I shall, though I doubt I shall start any more stories for a while yet, considering how many WIPs I have already...

      Delete
  3. *cries bitterly*

    Man....I had so many of these posts started, just waiting to get word of another Meet the Books!

    Oh well, I shall release the one for the one true book I have left, which no doubt is the most important one....The White Rose. You can find it here (that is after 8am on the 11th of June): https://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2019/06/meet-books-white-rose.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no - sorry! Well, for your sake, perhaps I shall at least do a couple more.

      Ooh - lovely! I shall look forward to reading it!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)