Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Concerning the Old South...

If you are offended by the picture above, I suggest you stop reading this post. For I am about to embark on a journey of revelation - revelation of the truth. I shall not go into great depth, but I am about to merely myth-bust about our poor old heritage, in particular, the Old South. Lovely, old, antebellum culture, so oft tainted with the sin of slavery, against the pure and courageous Northerners, who, by the way, were totally against slavery and deplored any such horrendous trade... let us explore those notions a little by way of quotes from the people themselves and some informative pictures (for the title of "meme" doesn't quite suit) courtesy of Pinterest...
Hmm. Now there's a strange thing. There is a different in the matter of slavery between a Union and Confederate, and the Confederate's is to the effect of approving the freeing of slaves. Aren't we told that the Union is the party unanimously in favor of abolishing slavery, without the slightest reserve or ulterior motives...? And if leaders on the two sides seem to have differing views from what is common knowledge, how does history work out...? Why would they fight a war for slavery if they didn't necessarily even have strong convictions on it (or even had the opposite convictions of their side!)?
The fact is, friends, that the Civil War was just not about slavery. Holler all you like, or bring up a million contemporary authors, but slavery was simply not the cause of the War.
In fact, as you can see by this quote comparison, both Lincoln (the president residing over the Union) and Davis (the president residing over the Confederacy) said very blatantly that slavery was not only an unessential element in the war, but, rather irrelevant to its motivations and cause as a whole. 
In fact, guess what else? If we are to believe yet another quote (below), the Old South did not even allow the shipping-in of slaves at all (see the Confederate Constitution on that one - you'll find that it's the truth). And the two best-known leaders of the Confederate cause were both against slavery (and Robert E. Lee was also against cessation - I am not positive as to Davis' opinion on the matter). 
Would it surprise you to know that the Union, in fact, attacked the South? Or that the South planned peaceful, diplomatic cessation (a right guaranteed by American law), and that was only in the case that they were not given the representative rights that they were being denied by the Northern States at that time (the real reason for the Civil War)? The reason the Civil War was fought was because, due to trade inequality, population inequality, and prejudice in the military and government, the Southern States were not being diplomatically represented according to the ratio that would have been fair for their influence, people, and part in the Union. Their influence had sunk within ten years from having almost half the representation of the Union to having less than a third (see Chapters One and Two of The Lost Cause, an historic overview on the subject of the Civil War). And, this, may I remind you, was not due to land ratios in North and South, but due to politics begin conducted mostly in and by the North, as well as because of the city condensations there.

Even beyond the fact that the War was not about slavery, many Southerners were staunchly against slavery. Many Southerners favored the unanimous freeing of slaves, in fact, which was more than could be said even for the leaders of the Union (as seen by the fact and quotes below and the Lincoln and Lee quotes above).
So slavery was a "moral and political evil in any country," mmm? At least, that's what Robert E. Lee says. And Lincoln says that our American republic was "meant for homogenous people," and, even more, that "[a]s long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life.... may... challenge the supremacy of the white man." So which is the racist one, may I ask...?
Once more, to disregard even that above fact, the difference in moral character between the North and the South was phenomenal. The Northerners were often secular by comparison, and often reputedly worshippers of the Constitution and American democracy, leading many Europeans to comment that Americans thought themselves the cleverest and best people in the world (see once more The Lost Cause, as well as G.K. Chesterton's Heretics). While there were Northerners who disapproved of slavery, and for and with good reason, those Northerners who owned slaves and those Southerners who owned slaves differed greatly in their treatment of them, even to the point of many African-Americans fighting for the Southern cause (without force many times, I might add). 
Even if I were to pay no heed to that fact as well, the cold, hard truth of the matter is that the Southerners did what they believed was right. And according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Thomas Aquinas, Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, as well as many, many other philosophers, ethicists, and moralists of all types, one must always act according to one's conscience, or else risk doing what one believes wrong; if one believes a thing to be wrong and does it, then, regardless of the actually material morality of the action, one has indeed done wrongly. So, the Southern leaders, in acting according to their consciences (trying to break from the Union, and then defending Southern ground), they were merely avoiding what they firmly believed to be wrong (permitting the underrepresentation of their people and then letting their lands be possibly taken, burnt, and raided). 
The Northerners seemed as invaders to the Southerners. The South had only wished for the peaceable leaving of the Union if they were not given their rights (this was, in fact, what they had requested from the start). And the North declared military attack on them, as if they had rebelled in arms, even earning them the historically incorrect title of "rebels." The Southerners merely saw themselves as acting in self-defense due to this fact.
In the end, what the Civil War comes down to is a cultural fight, between the different sensibilities and politics of the North and South, and a fight over Constitutional rights and the administration of them. Every Southern leader firmly believed this as surely as every Northern leader knew it to be true. Slavery is merely a subplot in this large story arc, I'm afraid, and, wrong or right in their association with it, the South was not ever disillusioned that slavery was what it was fighting for.
There were good things and bad things about both sides of the Civil War, and about the War in general - my focus on defense of the South is only to uproot old rumors. There were bad people in the South, as in the North, and there was slavery in the South, as in the North. But next times you think about the Civil War, do not be so quick to condemn our boys in gray - they are as much a part of our history and our heritage as the blue boys are, and they were not villains, but only human beings fighting for a cause that they believed it... a cause surely not wholly condemnable. 
What did you think? I daresay I have likely bored with three rather politically incorrect posts in a row, but I hope that this one was enlightening. Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. As a historian, it's really interesting to see both sides of the issue. I grew up believing that the Civil War was started by state's rights issues and not slavery as the history books attempt to convince you of.

    I knew that Lincoln was actually pretty racist, but seeing those remarks still shocks me a little. And don't get me started on Yankee generals (I'm looking at you Sherman).

    When I started looking at history through a Catholic lens instead of the secular, that's when I wondered where the Civil War lay. To be honest, neither side is really in the right, and it never was a just war to begin with - it really was a true Civil War.

    I may have been born and raised Yankee (I actually don't live that far from a major Civil War Battlefield so I got a lot of Civil War knowledge), but that doesn't mean that I don't love the South. In fact, I think they do a lot of things right in the South that we don't do right in the north.

    That being said, I think with the North, there was this attitude that "we're all in this together" and so if South Carolina had ceded like it wanted too, it would have made things extremely miserable for trade or politics. I don't think the Northerners wanted America to become a nation of city-states like Greece did. This attempt to get rid of racism really should have taken place a lot sooner than it did.

    By the way, have you ever read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara? It's quite interesting and I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I would consider also posting a defense of the Union as well. The fact is, both sides had merit and fault, and one needs to see them both.

      Yeah, me too - I was shocked reading them, honestly.

      Exactly! So true...

      Agreed there - I love the South, and prefer at least its culture, though born Yankee I may be.

      It definitely might've - that is a point to be taken into account. I think that it just should've never escalated to the point it did - slavery and Southern under-representation should've both been dealt with earlier, and then the Civil War wouldn't have had to happen.

      No, but several people have recommended it to me. I shall have to look it up sometime.

      Delete
  2. J+M+J
    I had always kinda respected and felt bad for General Lee, ever after watching a Civil-war documentary that mi padre got, but I believe I do so now even more. Though, you have to be careful with quotes sometimes, as they could be twisted, but I don't believe that's the case here.
    Great post, hehe, you made me want to go play a bunch of CSA songs on the banjo, so I think I will for a bit!
    "Let all hearts be now united, to arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!"
    "Hurrah! Hurrah! For the sunny South so dear; three cheers for the homespun dress the Southern ladies wear!"
    "Hurrah! Hurrah! For Southern rights Hurrah! Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue flag that bears a single star!"
    Hmm, just out of curiosity, is "hurrah" a particularly southern thing to say? Or does it just happen by chance that two of those verses start with it? (Or maybe just the fact that they're all wartime songs and so have a lot of "hurrah, to the country!" type thing) I do like some of the Southern songs, though I guess I shouldn't say I like them more then the Northern, as I really haven't heard many Northern songs. Maybe I just like Civil-war songs in general? I don't know honestly....
    I've never really picked one side or other, so in order to do so justly, I'd need to read a Northern opinioned post to compare and then choose. (As just reading one side of an argument is never a good idea, as you're bound to side with it, at least in matters like this.)

    The Doorman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis very true, but I have been reading up on the Civil War as a supplement to all the pins above, so as to insure their accuracy (in fact, a couple were deleted from the post for questionability). The ones that are still there are accurate to my checking.
      Haha, me too...! Except, on the computer instead, because I neither own nor play a banjo, haha...
      Um, I think it's just a typical exclamation of the times, because both Northern and Southern songs use it.
      No - don't pick a side! Like Catherine commented above, neither side was fully in the right. I only chose to defend the South because it is often the more maligned one, and because its public faults are often myths (it had other, real faults, though), as well as because the North is proclaimed as having none. Like I told Catherine, I would consider also writing a defense on the North if it didn't seem a bit overdone. Because too many people sided with the North, I decided to defend the South (because, as you know, I thoroughly enjoy digging in to controversy and debate if I think I can get to the heart of it).

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post!
    I see many other historical figures getting similar unfortunate treatment. It's not fair to the people of the past when they are judged outside of their context. More than that, it's a shame to have our view of history so limited.
    What were your sources?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's all too true. Many historical figures are treated unfairly merely because of some sole bad perception that lasted (such as the images of Errol Flynn as a Nazi spy, or Ty Cobb as a racist), but I believe that, in this case it is mostly a political misapprehension due to contemporary (and Union-biased) historians.
      My sources were, of course, those quotes I found on Pinterest which could be traced (meaning, the only ones in the post), The Lost Cause by Pollard, some letters of Jackson and Lee, and my father, an unending source of easy history, haha...

      Delete
    2. Historical sources, that is - sorry, I apologize if you meant my other sources (such as the Dickens quote and the references to the CCC, Plato, and Aristotle).

      Delete
  5. The quote that shocks me the most is Dickens ... and I love it!!!

    This is how I was raised believing, too. And I love seeing posts like this. Often, in any way, history is written by the victor. That's why it's very important to study both sides in ANY war.
    WWII is the same. We're told it was over concentration camps and the death of 6 million jews. But we're never reminded of the fact that the general public weren't aware of what was happening to the jews until AFTER the war ended. So what was the war really about? It's an interesting topic with a lot of ugliness from both sides and a lot of placing blame and hate on others. (Totally not justifying Hitler, by the way. He was completely evil. Even so, his evilness doesn't purify the other sides evilness.)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite surprised as well - I did not expect him to have anything to say on the matter, much less such a strong opinion.

      That's very true. Many areas in American history are like that because we have the unfortunate habit of glorifying ourselves oftentimes. WWI is exactly the same - everyone is taught that the Germans were evil, just like in WWII, and without reserve. It really takes looking at both sides without a prejudice - even in this case, while my personal sympathies lie with the South, both sides had faults in the Civil War.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

For my lovely readers who wish to comment... I enjoy the comments you all put up, and your feedback and critique are always welcome! My requirements for commenters are fairly simple and easy: I will delete any and all comments of a derogatory, spam, trolling, or obscene nature. All other comments, as long as they are civil, are quite welcome. If you want my specific guidelines, feel free to ask. :)